Paints for 1:35 scale WWII figures.

The Scarlet Pimpernel

The Scarlet Pimpernel

I've seen some fantastic figures painted where the uniforms look a lot like cloth. 

Many times you see them where they are shiny and I don't like the look of that at all. 

My question is, what type of paint are they using to give that soft, very flat look for uniforms? Is it more technique or is it the paint?

Both. Flat or matte paints for sure but also shading and weathering are key. I brush on chalk as a final touch to eliminate any shine and to create shadows and texture.  Chalks can also be used to create dirt and staining to uniforms.  Those that are much better than me though use multiple shades of a color to create depth and shadow that is beyond my skill base. 

With Acrylics It’s a little of both, paint and technique.  With acrylics the paint has to very well stirred and applied in thin coats.  It’s a slow process but the thin coats will give you a very flat finish.  Also, before painting the figure should be clean and degreased.  Take a look at this post it might help.

https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/243170-a-step-by-step-look-at-my-method-for-building-and-painting-figures/

The Scarlet Pimpernel
27 minutes ago, Old Marine said:

With Acrylics It’s a little of both, paint and technique.  With acrylics the paint has to very well stirred and applied in thin coats.  It’s a slow process but the thin coats will give you a very flat finish.  Also, before painting the figure should be clean and degreased.  Take a look at this post it might help.

https://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/243170-a-step-by-step-look-at-my-method-for-building-and-painting-figures/

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!