AP/MP/SP

Bluehawk

Police and security forces whistles and lanyards...

Why are they so difficult to get ahold of?

Or, are they?

Have you tried Ranger Joe's? They have a decent selection of MP/SP items

They had none... but, it's a good place to keep in mind, for MP especially.

For whatever reason(s), AP whistles & lanyards prove to be tough to find.

craig_pickrall

At just about every antique mall I have ever been in at least one dealer seems to have military whistles. Generally they are not marked as to who used them but I have found some with serial number engraved on them. Maybe you are looking in the wrong place.

Arm bands / brassards are another story however. They seem to be hit or miss at best. Ebay may be the best location for them.

What exactly are we talking about here? I was not aware there is any difference between MP, AP, SP, DIs or civilian police whistles. Aren't they just brass whistles on a chin?

What exactly are we talking about here? I was not aware there is any difference between MP, AP, SP, DIs or civilian police whistles. Aren't they just brass whistles on a chin?

I suppose the whistles themselves are the same, but don't know that to be true for sure.

The query got started because I want to add an AP whistle and lanyard to my collection, if possible.

Maybe in the end they ARE all identical... which would be somewhat unusual in itself!

craig_pickrall

In general terms the answer to them all being the same is true. In reality there are all sorts of variations. It seems to me the military leans more toward brass whistles while civilian police are more likely chrome. You will see them with no markings, some are marked MILITARY while others are marked MILITARY & POLICE. I have some in my collection that have maker / dealer markings too. One in particular that has an engraved serial number is MEYER marked and also marked ACME THUNDERER. We have a good thread on whistles somewhere. I will try to find it and post a link.