Navy/USMC Senior/Master Parachutist Badges

Basic Rifleman

Basic Rifleman

I know this has been loosely addressed before, usually as part of more general Navy/USMC parachutist badge threads. I know these were never authorized, but am looking to see if anyone has any further details in the form of documentation regarding whether or not the Navy ordered samples of these badges and or how close they were to implementing the senior and master designations to emulate the Army's badges. 

I've also seen a number of these listed here and elsewhere that were clearly examples of Honduran senior/master parachutist wings, and rightly identified as such. The examples I've posted are clearly not Honduran. I've also always wondered why these badges were listed in the Bragg & Turner books if they were never official, or at least being used unofficially or considered by the Navy. 

The examples I've posted below are made by Gemsco with their Navy-specific post Vietnam makers marks. I can say with a great deal of certainty the stars and wreath along with the makers mark were all done by Gemsco. Could these be prototypes or samples that were once submitted to the Navy for review? I've seen a couple others over the years listed as prototypes, but have always been skeptical because of shoddy craftsmanship. I feel that if a manufacturer were creating something for review/approval by the Department of the Navy and or the IOH, they'd likely want to submit something they were proud of. You know, so they'd have a chance at being considered for the contract to produce the insignia... These are in keeping with other Gemsco items in their fit and finish from the period. I also believe Gemsco went out of business 30 plus years ago, so these are not modern...

Any help answering the above questions would be most appreciated. 

DSC_7138.JPG

DSC_7139.JPG

DSC_7144.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

When dealing with pieces like this, you can guess that they could have been submitted for approval as a potential award. They could also be the object of someone's imagination. There are two other options however. There are a number of foreign militaries that use this pattern of wing for their airborne forces. I have also run into at least one law enforcement agency that uses this pattern of wing for those who are jump qualified.

I can only say that they are not official Navy or Marine wings. Who commissioned their manufacture is up for debate.

Allan