Revell M4 Shermans + Some History of These Models

Lanyard

Recently I came across an online discussion in which some modelers were trying to determine exactly what "model" the original Revell M4 Sherman represented.  To try to answer that question we need to go back to around 1955-56 when Revell sent a team to the Ordnance School at APG to photo and measure an M4.  At that time my Father was a Major assigned to the Ordnance School.  I suspect the M4 available to the Revell team was one at the Ordnance School, used for teaching, and it may have incorporated a disparate number of upgrades to enhance teaching.  Note the decal sheet that comes with the model features  "U.S. ARMY ORDNANCE  30100"  which would indicate this tank was assigned to the school.

In 1957 Revell sent a number of its new M4 Sherman models to the Ordnance School to show their appreciation of the cooperation they had received while at APG.  Subsequently my Father brought home an example, and at the age of 11 I began my modeling journey.  Using 3 times more glue than required, I assembled the kit, leaving it unpainted, but I was very pleased with the end result.  The tank commander figure was very well done for its time.  The Renwall Blueprint tanks were well done but their soldier figures looked like space aliens.

Motivated by the online discussion, I decided (65 years later) to build this model again, buying an example off of eBay.  When I was well on the way to finishing the model I discovered 2 of the 6 major suspension components were missing - lesson learned - check to see if everything is there before moving ahead.  Now what?  I decided I would try to model an M4 stuck fast in mud wherein the main road wheels/suspension would be buried.  The 3 following photos show the result.  It was a learning experience and if I do something similar again, it will be a better effort.

Back to eBay, I bought a second Revell M4 Sherman, carefully checking to see all parts were there.  Although this 1950's Sherman model is clearly not up to the standards of M4s from Tamiya, Dragon, Italeri, etc, when completed it clearly looks like an M4 - with a lot fewer parts!  Probably the modeling technology of the time plus some cost restraints explain why the model was done as it was.  The last 3 photos show the completed model.IMG_1977.jpg.ff9b8983d91801226a554bb3e15b83ec.jpg

IMG_1976.jpg

IMG_1974.jpg

IMG_1979.jpg

IMG_1978.jpg

IMG_1990.jpg

I like your Shermans very much! Thanks also for sharing an interesting piece of modeling history with us. (I turned the pictures for you).

Sherman.jpg

On 12/1/2022 at 11:49 PM, USMC_COLLECTOR said:

Look at that delicious frosting!

I'd definitely give the driver a breathalyzer test. LOL.

Semper Fi.

Manny