Disney Nose Art Question

Mr. Scratch

Mr. Scratch

I've been doing some research into my Grandfather's squadron during WWII (446th Bombardment SQ, 231 Bomb GP), and have been thinking about doing an art project based around the planes he flew.

Among his writings from the war, he describes piloting a Tunisian-camoflauged B-25 he called "The Pink Elephant", though I can't find any record of such a name among the planes of the 446th. It may be that this was not an official name, as the PE appears to have been some sort of substitute plane they only flew when no other planes were available. My grandfather reported that everyone hated flying that plane in the belief that it was bad luck. It always returned from it's missions, but with the crew all shot to hell.

In all likelihood the plane had no nose art, but for my project's sake I'm considering makeing some up. I've got a what I think would be a likely idea for such: a pink, drunken red-eyed Dumbo, with stubble on his face, tongue hanging out, and holding a bottle of booze in it's trunk instead of a magic feather. Around it's head, in the manner of a cartoon halo of champagne bubbles, would be a scattering of flak bursts. Additionally, ther was a plane called "Dumbo" in the squadron, and I wonder if "The Pink Elephant" might have been my grandfather's prefered name for it.

I think it would be pretty funny, but historical accuracy is somewhat important. I seem to recall that while Disney allowed it's characters to be used in nose art, it did maintain some tight control as to how the cartoons were used. If this is true, they surely wouldn't not have allowed an image of a drunken haggard Dumbo. Does this take my idea off the table?

While I'm at it, here is another nose art question: on the roster of 446th bombers is one named "Shad Rack You Done Crapped Again!". Anyone have a guess as to what this is supposed to mean?

Mr. Scratch
You might try messaging disneydave. He is the local expert on Disney art.

Ah, yes. Come to think of it, it might make as much sense to post this in the DISNEY GOES TO WAR section. Thanks.

• 6 months later...
Guest johnbatt

Hi all. Regarding "Shad Rack You Done Crapped Again," my dad, N. James Batteiger, was an engineer and tail gunner on that B-25 bomber. He died when I was an infant (1959), but my older brothers and sisters never could figure out the full meaning, either, beyond the obvious gambling (craps) connection.

By the way, Shad Rack was in the 447th squadron, not the 446th.

I'm just starting using online resources to track my dad's involvement in the war. I transcribed his war diary 20 years ago (incredibly revealing) and would love to hear from others doing the same -- especially folks connected to the 447th and the 321st group. I have many, many photos, too.

John Batteiger

[email protected]

I've been doing some research into my Grandfather's squadron during WWII (446th Bombardment SQ, 231 Bomb GP), and have been thinking about doing an art project based around the planes he flew.

Among his writings from the war, he describes piloting a Tunisian-camoflauged B-25 he called "The Pink Elephant", though I can't find any record of such a name among the planes of the 446th. It may be that this was not an official name, as the PE appears to have been some sort of substitute plane they only flew when no other planes were available. My grandfather reported that everyone hated flying that plane in the belief that it was bad luck. It always returned from it's missions, but with the crew all shot to hell.

In all likelihood the plane had no nose art, but for my project's sake I'm considering makeing some up. I've got a what I think would be a likely idea for such: a pink, drunken red-eyed Dumbo, with stubble on his face, tongue hanging out, and holding a bottle of booze in it's trunk instead of a magic feather. Around it's head, in the manner of a cartoon halo of champagne bubbles, would be a scattering of flak bursts. Additionally, ther was a plane called "Dumbo" in the squadron, and I wonder if "The Pink Elephant" might have been my grandfather's prefered name for it.

I think it would be pretty funny, but historical accuracy is somewhat important. I seem to recall that while Disney allowed it's characters to be used in nose art, it did maintain some tight control as to how the cartoons were used. If this is true, they surely wouldn't not have allowed an image of a drunken haggard Dumbo. Does this take my idea off the table?

While I'm at it, here is another nose art question: on the roster of 446th bombers is one named "Shad Rack You Done Crapped Again!". Anyone have a guess as to what this is supposed to mean?

The only "Shad Rack" that comes to mind was one of the 3 guys thrown in the furnace by King Nebuchadnezzar as in the 3rd chapter of Daniel. SWAG , a joke, play on words based on the Bible story??????? Remember many WWII servicemen were more religious than most are today.

The only "Shad Rack" that comes to mind was one of the 3 guys thrown in the furnace by King Nebuchadnezzar as in the 3rd chapter of Daniel. SWAG , a joke, play on words based on the Bible story??????? Remember many WWII servicemen were more religious than most are today.

Dunno, but I did manage to find these pics on the 57th Bomb Wing site.

post-3113-1252252506.jpg

post-3113-1252252977.jpg

Well, there you go. The logical answer. Nice pic of B-25s over Etna or Visuvius? My Dads unit the 21st Avn. Eng. Regt.kept the fields up for the 15th and MAAF.