The Combat Infantryman Badge

Steve B.

Cobra 6 Actual

Good idea Joe, here are my most desirable, two of which agree with Sivart's list;

1. "SENDAI JAPAN" - I have never seen one either in person or photo but have been told by two collectors that they do exist.

2. Australian manufactured - Again, never seen one, but based on the other US insignia produced you would think a few were made.

3. 3rd award badge that was period marked or engraved to awardee - or a rock-solid provenance.

4. Badges with period added background - felt, plastic. leather, etc...

5. Whatever I haven't seen before!

...and most difficult

1. L. CHR.LAUER - Like Sivart, I have only seen 1, ever.

2. Marked British badges in excellent condition - retaining most of their finish

3. J. BALME badges

4. C.P. Co NYC

5. GENERAL INSIGNIA NY

Great list, Bob! I think your list and Sivart's list both illustrate that y'all are in the 'high range' of CIB collectors. Your "Whatever I haven't seen before" definitely strikes a chord with me, too! There are still discoveries to be made.

Great list, Bob! I think your list and Sivart's list both illustrate that y'all are in the 'high range' of CIB collectors. Your "Whatever I haven't seen before" definitely strikes a chord with me, too! There are still discoveries to be made.

Joe, I couldn't agree more. There are still CIBs out there we haven't seen yet. That's what really draws me to CIB collecting. I think generally CIB's have been overlooked in US Militaria collecting - and although they seem to be gaining ground ( based on some prices now ) I find the huge variety available makes them very satisfying to collect. Just when you start to think you've seen them all somebody comes up with a new example.

-Bob

Cobra 6 Actual

Joe, I couldn't agree more. There are still CIBs out there we haven't seen yet. That's what really draws me to CIB collecting. I think generally CIB's have been overlooked in US Militaria collecting - and although they seem to be gaining ground ( based on some prices now ) I find the huge variety available makes them very satisfying to collect. Just when you start to think you've seen them all somebody comes up with a new example.

-Bob

We collectors continue to hunt even in a barren landscape. But, as you wrote, there are still plenty of new and different CIBs 'out there' waiting for us!

Haven't seen this before, a French made (J. Balme) EIB:

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

On eBay as a Buy it Now, but a bit too rich for my blood.

Not a CIB but made by the same company. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Balme-Air-Assault-Stay-Brite-metal-helicopter-wing-badge-B-T-909-airborne-/152226577485?hash=item2371693c4d:g:M2oAAOSwvzRXyHJi

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Cobra 6 Actual

Yep, firefighter, there's even a recent topic on this Forum about the various US military insignia this Company made:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/274845-balme-hallmarked-insignia/

• 2 weeks later...
Cobra 6 Actual

Nice one, rd12 ... even upside down (I hate when this forum's software does that. By the way, I sent you a PM ... think you already may have seen it, but just in case.)

Captainofthe7th

I thought there was a thread devoted to the Combat Artillery Badge, but I can't find it now and there has been some discussion about them here. I just found this image and wanted to share. This is Gene Bleuer's portrait from Korea. He was with the 5th RCT before being captured. It's a good example of a soldier actually wearing the unauthorized badge. Note that it is the cannon over rifle type.

https://www.illinois.gov/alplm/library/collections/oralhistory/VeteransRemember/koreanwar/Pages/BleuerGene.aspx

post-3190-0-96972500-1475231379.jpg

Rob

I thought there was a thread devoted to the Combat Artillery Badge, but I can't find it now and there has been some discussion about them here. I just found this image and wanted to share. This is Gene Bleuer's portrait from Korea. He was with the 5th RCT before being captured. It's a good example of a soldier actually wearing the unauthorized badge. Note that it is the cannon over rifle type.

https://www.illinois.gov/alplm/library/collections/oralhistory/VeteransRemember/koreanwar/Pages/BleuerGene.aspx

attachicon.gifBleuer_Gen_01_WMK_jpg.jpg

Rob

Another interesting thing about the picture.It looks like he is wearing green combat tabs with 'KOREA', unit di over it.That is a great picture.

Another interesting thing about the picture.It looks like he is wearing green combat tabs with 'KOREA', unit di over it.That is a great picture.

Yes indeed that,s what it is KOREA loops, the DIs are a FA unit I'm thinking, a 8th Army level one, not sure on which Battalion though. Seeing all this then, Bleur I suspect was in the 555th Field Artillery Battalion when in the 5th RCT.

The Badge itself is interesting, one just like it was posted once.

post-161684-14554950988406.jpg

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/260783-todays-find-a-nice-caib/&do=findComment&comment=2099223

Cobra 6 Actual

Here's a photo I had taken earlier this year of a 6th Award CIB:

post-159798-0-34899900-1475494653.jpeg

And here's the rest, to include a 5th, 7th, and 8th:

post-159798-0-66378500-1475494724.jpeg

My guess is that these are sales samples, made up before it became clear that earning them would be nigh on impossible.These still turn up for sale. Man, I'd love to find them in metal!

Here's a photo I had taken earlier this year of a 6th Award CIB:

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

And here's the rest, to include a 5th, 7th, and 8th:

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

My guess is that these are sales samples, made up before it became clear that earning them would be nigh on impossible.These still turn up for sale. Man, I'd love to find them in metal!

NICE!! Ive seen them for sale before bur not a real CIB collector.

Cobra 6 Actual

NICE!! Ive seen them for sale before bur not a real CIB collector.

Thanks, Firefighter. Again, the metal 5th through 8th Award CIBs are the tough ones to find.

Thanks, Firefighter. Again, the metal 5th through 8th Award CIBs are the tough ones to find.

I have never seen any of those for sale.

Cobra 6 Actual

Here's a cloth CIB that I bought from Tom Clinton perhaps 30 years ago:

post-159798-0-91157300-1475613496.jpeg

post-159798-0-62330200-1475613516.jpeg

Pretty sure it was made in Thailand, but just to cover all bets, let's just say it was made in Southeast Asia.

Here's a cloth CIB that I bought from Tom Clinton perhaps 30 years ago:

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Pretty sure it was made in Thailand, but just to cover all bets, let's just say it was made in Southeast Asia.

Thats nice. Sure looks Thai made, maybe PI?