The Combat Infantryman Badge

Steve B.

firefighter

I think it's German.

Really great scores!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you. I was thinking that too, after seeing one similar on this thread.Appreciate it.

easterneagle87

Could some please repost the Afghanistan made CIB with the local blue stone (what is it by the way) they used. Remember the posting but can't find it.

• 2 weeks later...
439th Signal Battalion

Captain from A/5-12, 199th LIB wearing a subdued pin-on CIB with star, late 1969.

post-4009-0-45833900-1464103186.jpg

On a side note, I'd like to find two of the culvert halves behind this officer (that were often used for bunkers and fighting positons) for display purposes. The closest design that I have been able to find are windwo wells at Lowes but they are too small. Anyone have any ideas on where these may be found?

seanmc1114

Captain from A/5-12, 199th LIB wearing a subdued pin-on CIB with star, late 1969.

attachicon.gifimg048_edited-1 (600x466).jpg

On a side note, I'd like to find two of the culvert halves behind this officer (that were often used for bunkers and fighting positons) for display purposes. The closest design that I have been able to find are windwo wells at Lowes but they are too small. Anyone have any ideas on where these may be found?

That one's interesting as he appears too young to have served in Korea. His combat patch looks like the 101st Airborne so he probably had an earlier tour in Vietnam. Could the second award of the CIB he is wearing have been meant to signify two tours in Vietnam or a tour in Vietnam plus the Dominican Republic? It seems that the issues of multiple awards during the Vietnam era (Vietnam, Dominican Republic, Laos, Korean DMZ) had already been pretty much ironed out by then.

Even if he was a Mustang, by 1969 that would require him to be in his mid-30's to have served in the Korean War.

• 3 weeks later...

A summer home renovation project required me to box up my collection for awhile. I took some quick pictures of my cloth CIBs - I think these really show the incredible variety of cloth badges that can be found. Apologies for the poor quality of the pics.

Left tray, 1950's-60's. Mostly theater made, many hand embroidered. Right tray 1970's-present. Again, mostly theater made. A few US made.

post-122639-0-63275800-1466009438.jpg

1940's - 50's. Most of these are post 1945 Occupation Era pieces. German, Italian, British. Some of the badges embroidered on khaki in the right tray are US made.

post-122639-0-21677900-1466010193.jpg

These are probably my favorite to collect ( and the hardest to find! ). CIBs in bullion. These are not displayed by era or origin. Most are foreign made, German, Japanese, Italian and are late 1940's thru 1960's.

post-122639-0-72064300-1466010417.jpg

Cobra 6 Actual

Excellent collection, rd12! By far, you have one of the most extensive -- and carefully selected -- CIB collections 'out there.'

Cobra 6 Actual

I would love to have one of these for my collection!!!

These salesman sample ones:

post-159798-0-56206600-1466770619.jpeg

Still turn up occasionally. I got one off of eBay a couple of years ago. Note that the design is incorrect as the three stars are aligned in a pyramid shape when they should be more of an arc shape.

Cobra 6, any markings on your badge? I would wager that very few companies invested the time/expense to have these made. I thought I had a picture saved of a 4th award that was made by NS Meyer - but I can't find it.

Cobra 6 Actual

Actually, rd12, it's good you asked because when I took it out to look at that CIB I found this:

post-159798-0-45820600-1466808817.jpeg

post-159798-0-01469900-1466808838.jpeg

It's not a 4th Award CIB, but an 8th Award one (although the gilt is a little hard to see ... apologies for my lack of phoography skills). And, yes, those are N.S. Meyer hallmarks.

• 2 weeks later...