The Combat Infantryman Badge

Steve B.

5 hours ago, rd12 said:

Two Italian made badges with interesting backs; snaps one one and colorful scrap used on the second.

IMG_7327.jpg

IMG_7328.jpg

IMG_7330.jpg

IMG_7331.jpg

Some very nice Bullion CIBs you have found! Great additions👍

• 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, patches said:

Anyone ewer seen this Non STERLING Hallmark Code???

P16161

unknown mark.PNG

unknown markk.PNG

I've seen them on for sale in kiosks on post, the type that sells ball caps, novelty patches,  keychains, and other themed souvenirs. These are more pins than badges in my opinion. 

• 1 month later...

Here is a Korean made CIB and insignia as worn by BG Delbert Munson. In the picture BG Munson is wearing the insignia while serving as Assistant Division Commander of the 2nd ID. Taken in Korea, 1967.

IMG_7576.jpg

IMG_7575.jpg

• 2 months later...
Cobra 6 Actual

When I saw this on eBay I thought that it was a silver bullion 3rd Award CIB with some toning:

image.jpeg

But having received it now, it is pretty clearly a 7th Award CIB.

Cobra 6 Actual

No ignorance need be forgiven: Well, in actuality, jmd62, it is impossible to be earn a 7th Award CIB. In fact, only 3rd Award CIB’s are possible at this time. However, apparently the Army went ahead and developed standards and designs for beyond a 3rd Award. Given that, manufacturers went ahead and made samples, a few, beyond the 3rd Award. This is one of those rare samples.

2 hours ago, Cobra 6 Actual said:

No ignorance need be forgiven: Well, in actuality, jmd62, it is impossible to be earn a 7th Award CIB. In fact, only 3rd Award CIB’s are possible at this time. However, apparently the Army went ahead and developed standards and designs for beyond a 3rd Award. Given that, manufacturers went ahead and made samples, a few, beyond the 3rd Award. This is one of those rare samples.

Excellent information Cobra 6, thanks!

easterneagle87

Flea market find today. 3rd INF DIV, Korea slip on tabs, small size chevrons and what I think is a single Korean Campaign ribbon with 3 stars. I'll post it in the SSI section as well.

Am I reading the back correctly, Korea 1950, Leo D. Nelson, Born Oct 17, 1950, Herman Nehr, Died June 24, 1965, Saigon. Picture taken 21 (st) birthday in Korea.   

3rd ID 1.jpg

3rd ID 2.jpg

23 hours ago, easterneagle87 said:

Flea market find today. 3rd INF DIV, Korea slip on tabs, small size chevrons and what I think is a single Korean Campaign ribbon with 3 stars. I'll post it in the SSI section as well.

Am I reading the back correctly, Korea 1950, Leo D. Nelson, Born Oct 17, 1950, Herman Nehr, Died June 24, 1965, Saigon. Picture taken 21 (st) birthday in Korea.   

3rd ID 1.jpg

3rd ID 2.jpg

He does not show in the Vietnam War fatalities on the Wall.

Eighth Air Force NCOs at Fort Worth Army Air Field - February 19, 1947. Note the staff sergeant on the right is wearing a miniature Combat Infantryman Badge and double enlisted Air Corps branch discs. 

Eighth Air Force.02-1947.1.jpg

Eighth Air Force.02-1947.2.jpg

• 2 months later...
Cobra 6 Actual

While doing some sorting I turned up this mid-1960’s era Ken Nolan catalog:

image.jpeg.85e9e1ded37a3c88442a447407724740.jpeg

Here’s what the pricing for CIB’s was back then:

image.jpeg.9aadffadacb8b225cfe51915fcadc4f9.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
easterneagle87

Picked up this Sterling CIB while out junking. Who made the clutches? The logo “A” on them is similiar to German made Assman. 

AHA  D. B. P?

IMG_7716.jpeg.ca689f2111a44cf1edd93675c26f3dca.jpeg

• 3 months later...

Picked up my first new CIB in awhile, a killer direct embroidered badge on a custom tailored shirt. KMAG patch dates this to 1949-1954 I think. CIB is machine embroidered.

IMG_8419.jpg

IMG_8420.jpg

Shirt will be from the 60s, that KMAG patch and Tab still worn, patch remains but tab changes, changes to  JUSMAG-K April 1971.