The Combat Infantryman Badge

Steve B.

Here is a link to the Wikipedia page about the new gallery at the National Infantry Museum that features those soldiers that have been awarded the CIB 3 times: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Infa...are_achievement

As of this writing, there are only something like 230 recipients of the 3rd award. Hopefully more will be added, but this is still a very, very rare award.

I'm looking at a 2" CIB. It has 4 acorns in the wreath. Can anyone tell be about the acorns? I notice that this is at least uncommon in the CIB's I've seen up until now. Do the acorns track to a certain time period?

Sterling S21 on the rear.
I've asked this guy to send me more info/pictures of just this badge.

post-50776-0-57308000-1399760411.jpg

Well, I don't know about the acorns but the S21 hallmark is for Susco/Harry Sugerman Inc. manufactured post 1950.

looks like a nice quality CIB

hope this helps

CB

Hard to to tell from the picture shown but it looks to be a later CIB with attached rifle and enamel or glassine type blue background instead of the typical blue paint. As already noted the S21 marking helps date the piece as well.

Gemsco made a very nice quality CIB which also has the dual acorns at the bottom center of the wreath. I'm not sure if they have been definitively dated but the appear to be from the late WWII into Korean War period. The Gemsco pieces are desirable and require some searching to locate. My thoughts only .......

craig_pickrall

This is the original AR600-35 release for the CIB. It is Change 6 dated MAR 31, 1944. The design shown for the CIB has 4 acorns.

post-5-1316790215.jpg

post-5-1316790224.jpg

This is the original AR600-35 release for the CIB. It is Change 6 dated MAR 31, 1944. The design shown for the CIB has 4 acorns.

Fascinating Craig and thanks for posting. That may be what it says but that sure isn't what you see! The sterling silver marked clutch back CIBs that most collectors associate with WWII awards certainly do no not have the acorns. Very interesting ......

craig_pickrall

I just checked my CIB's spanning from WW2 thru the mid 1970's. There were 27 in all and none had the acorns.

I have seen at least 6 makers that used acorns on their CIB's. Gemsco, Denmark (or Best Emblem and Insigia) HLI, Susco/Harry Sugerman, NS Meyer, and Vanguard. I have a mini with acorns made by Best that I think is from the late 70's or 80's, so I don't think it is a good indication of time period. I see them most frequently on older badges, the Gemsco variation with acorns and the pinback is one of my all time favorites!

I have seen at least 6 makers that used acorns on their CIB's. Gemsco, Denmark (or Best Emblem and Insigia) HLI, Susco/Harry Sugerman, NS Meyer, and Vanguard. I have a mini with acorns made by Best that I think is from the late 70's or 80's, so I don't think it is a good indication of time period. I see them most frequently on older badges, the Gemsco variation with acorns and the pinback is one of my all time favorites!

Thank you very much for this information. Regarding the six makers using acorn pattern wreaths documented above - are all of these on "full size" versions of the respective CIB?

Thanks in advance for this information ......

Thank you very much for this information. Regarding the six makers using acorn pattern wreaths documented above - are all of these on "full size" versions of the respective CIB?

Thanks in advance for this information ......

No, there are minis with the acorns. They come up on eBay every now and then.

No, there are minis with the acorns. They come up on eBay every now and then.

Thanks Jim, and great pictures of yours as well! I don't think I asked the question very well. I know there are mini's with acorns. What I am trying to determine is what are the documented makers of full size CIBs with acorns.

So, trying to determine if the six specific makers cited by Sivart as acorn examples were noted on full size awards. Thanks!

Thanks Jim, and great pictures of yours as well! I don't think I asked the question very well. I know there are mini's with acorns. What I am trying to determine is what are the documented makers of full size CIBs with acorns.

So, trying to determine if the six specific makers cited by Sivart as acorn examples were noted on full size awards. Thanks!

Hmm..... I really don't know. These are a sideline for me. Maybe Travis has that info. Try the pinned CIB thread. There are a lot of manufacturers shown there.

kriegsmodell,

I never really thought to look at it before, but the only makers I have seen that included acorns on their full sized badges were Gemsco and Sugarman, all the rest have them on the mini's. The "newest" full sized CIB I have with the acorns is one that dates from the early to mid 60's and is marked GEMSCO A.G.O. G-2. I will post if I can dig up another maker and post an example.

As a side note, I also found an Ira Green mini with acorns, so that makes seven.

I'm looking at a 2" CIB. It has 4 acorns in the wreath. Can anyone tell be about the acorns? I notice that this is at least uncommon in the CIB's I've seen up until now. Do the acorns track to a certain time period?

IMAG0643-12.jpg

Sterling S21 on the rear.

I've asked this guy to send me more info/pictures of just this badge.

To me, the oak leaves and acorns look a lot like the wreath that surrounded many WW-II German badges.

kriegsmodell,

I never really thought to look at it before, but the only makers I have seen that included acorns on their full sized badges were Gemsco and Sugarman, all the rest have them on the mini's. The "newest" full sized CIB I have with the acorns is one that dates from the early to mid 60's and is marked GEMSCO A.G.O. G-2. I will post if I can dig up another maker and post an example.

As a side note, I also found an Ira Green mini with acorns, so that makes seven.

Sivart - thank you very much, that helps. And it makes sense as the vast majority of these that I have encountered have been on minis.

Mods - there is some great information in this thread perhaps it could be moved to the larger EIB, CIB, CMB pinned reference thread?

• 4 weeks later...