The Combat Infantryman Badge

Steve B.

Since all of the "Combat Armor" and Combat Artillery" badges were unauthorized, unofficial and privately purchased, what makes any of them the "real deals?"

How many have found them on uniform coats actually worn by a soldier?

atb,

As to your first question, the exact same could be said for WW1 era pilot badges. Only the embroidered ones were actually "authorized" but, many collectors consider the sterling ones to be the "real deal."

As far as how many were actually worn? I have never seen one but, then again, I don't really collect anything past about 1922--so they are outside my expertise.

Chris

atb,

As to your first question, the exact same could be said for WW1 era pilot badges. Only the embroidered ones were actually "authorized" but, many collectors consider the sterling ones to be the "real deal."

As far as how many were actually worn? I have never seen one but, then again, I don't really collect anything past about 1922--so they are outside my expertise.

Chris

Chris:

Of course you are correct about the WW1 era all metal wings up to the time the Air Corps adopted the "new" design (was that 1919?). That's exactly what I mean about "real deal." I wonder how many collectors have found so-called Combat Artillery and Armor Badges acquired from veterans who had actually worn them? Non-provenanced examples of both badges and even yellow Combat Cavalry Badges are fairly easy to find from dealers.

Chris:

Of course you are correct about the WW1 era all metal wings up to the time the Air Corps adopted the "new" design (was that 1919?). That's exactly what I mean about "real deal." I wonder how many collectors have found so-called Combat Artillery and Armor Badges acquired from veterans who had actually worn them? Non-provenanced examples of both badges and even yellow Combat Cavalry Badges are fairly easy to find from dealers.

atb,

Wasn't there a combat medic badge too (at least for a time)? Or is that another unofficial badge?

Interesting thread!

Chris

atb,

Wasn't there a combat medic badge too (at least for a time)? Or is that another unofficial badge?

Interesting thread!

Chris

There has been a Combat Field Medical Badge since WW2. It was instituted along with the CIB.

the.warlord1944

i know it is an unofficial badge.

i know what i collect and what i dont know i stay away from and save the money for ,,good pieces,,..

It is the real deal because they were there and they are from the timeperiod.

Not something i can say from all the special forces,arvn,ranger,airborne,seal patch crap and the death card/award card stuff on ebay.

My main focus from us militaria is badges and ww2 uniforms.

If a badge was not official i dont care at least it isnt a repro.

It is a piece from the original timeline.

If you have a different opinion that`s fine with me.

I like the badge and that`s why i bought it. :rolleyes:

i know it is an unofficial badge.

i know what i collect and what i dont know i stay away from and save the money for ,,good pieces,,..

It is the real deal because they were there and they are from the timeperiod.

Not something i can say from all the special forces,arvn,ranger,airborne,seal patch crap and the death card/award card stuff on ebay.

My main focus from us militaria is badges and ww2 uniforms.

If a badge was not official i dont care at least it isnt a repro.

It is a piece from the original timeline.

If you have a different opinion that`s fine with me.

I like the badge and that`s why i bought it. :rolleyes:

I did not mean to criticise what you collect. My question seemed simple to me- was it too complicated to others? If a badge is unofficial and unauthorised, yet worn by a few soldiers anyway, would one with no provenance as actually having been purchased and worn by a soldier be the real "real deal?" I was just interested in how many collectors may have found these things on a provenanced uniform. Especially, in light of the fact they are still being made and sold to collectors. If you know yours is a piece made in a particular place at a particular time and could have been purchased for wear by a soldier, that's fine. Maybe from now on I'll keep my questions to myself.

I guess, after all, what really counts with what we all collect is what we like.

The badge pictured at the top of this post was produced in the 1970's for the collector market. Every Army Navy store used to sell them and they were at all the militaria shows. I believe it's US-made. There was also an artillery version made the same way. The device added to the front is stamped and the badge itself is very heavy with a bright silver finish.

I have seen artillery badges that are "legit" (theater made in the 1950's - probably Japan. And, not made for the collector market). The telltale sign of those is that the device on the front (e.g., crossed cannons) is an integral part of the badge (i.e., not added on) and the design (crossed cannons) shows through on the reverse. The enamel is also different. I have seen two types - one with just crossed cannons and another with crossed cannons over the infantry musket.

I've never seen an armored cav badge that was other than of the type pictured above. If someone has a legit theater made armored cav badge, I'd love to see a photo of it!

To me, "unauthorized" insignia is "legit" if it was made during the period it would have been worn. Not many years later for collectors.

Kurt

The badge pictured at the top of this post was produced in the 1970's for the collector market. Every Army Navy store used to sell them and they were at all the militaria shows. I believe it's US-made. There was also an artillery version made the same way. The device added to the front is stamped and the badge itself is very heavy with a bright silver finish.

I have seen artillery badges that are "legit" (theater made in the 1950's - probably Japan. And, not made for the collector market). The telltale sign of those is that the device on the front (e.g., crossed cannons) is an integral part of the badge (i.e., not added on) and the design (crossed cannons) shows through on the reverse. The enamel is also different. I have seen two types - one with just crossed cannons and another with crossed cannons over the infantry musket.

I've never seen an armored cav badge that was other than of the type pictured above. If someone has a legit theater made armored cav badge, I'd love to see a photo of it!

To me, "unauthorized" insignia is "legit" if it was made during the period it would have been worn. Not many years later for collectors.

Kurt

Exactly! Thank you Kurt.

the.warlord1944

My remarks are not badly intended at atb but what i meant to say was the item that i bought is not a repro so in my opinion it is a real deal (not manafactured 10/15 years later).

I havent found jacket with that particular insignia on them but in ww2 german stuff it is more seen than at us military (unofficial badges on the m-43 cap for instance).

It has a French or German look to me.I have a couple set of para wings and an oval from a 17th Abn vet and the white hand chain stitch details are very similiar.The vet rememberd having the wins/oval done in france.As for the black I dont know the significance.I have a couple of Ike jackets with US made CIB on one and a Combat Medics on the other.Both badges are mounted on black wool felt.Similiar to what the 8th AF did with their wings on blue.I have always wondered if it was for a combat award or for being wounded in combat.

More CIB related information: "A flag streamer authorized in 1943 and tied to the staff of all infantry battalion guidons in which at least 65% of the personnel held the Combat Infantryman Badge": This describes a white, swallow tailed streamer with black lettering reading "COMBAT INFANTRY BATTALION". the reference for this is page 113 of "Government Issue Collector's Guide" by Henri Paul Enjames. A company guide also was created at the same time, and there are vesions for the Expert Infantry Badge with the same percentage criterion. I saw one of these at a show years ago, and passed on it for $10; I have never seen another - I made a big mistake.

I have read (I believe in "Joseph Stillwell and the American Experience in China"), that he was the highest ranking officer to receive the CIB during WWII, for leading the retreat from Burma - any other opinions?

I also have an ike jacket with black felt behind the combat medic badge and another with some type of black imitation leather behind the CIB, neither have purple hearts, I think it was just to enhance the badge but thats just my guess.

the stars on the ribbon appear to be British-type as well. very nice badges, and for 3 bucks for a British-made, you did very well thumbsup.gif

Hi

Hope that somebody can help me out here.

I would like your opinions on this CIB and whether it is a ww2 or post?

Thanks

Karsten

post-2146-1199486502.jpg