The Combat Infantryman Badge

Steve B.

It is a nice original WWII piece. Obviously the clutches are modern, but still a great looking CIB! :thumbsup:

Justin

Got da Penny

Was able to get this in a trade from a local collector.

Looks like a woman's sweetheart bracelet.

post-633-1308527127.jpg

post-633-1308527136.jpg

Carey

GUYS--- HAVE THE CHANCE TO GET THIS 2 PIECE CIB-------- WHAT DO YOU THINK?? I SAY IT IS OK BUT,----------

CAn the wreath be removed, can it be placed on and of the the back or is it permently welded soldered on ?

Thats a great looking Two Piece C.I.B just like the one in my Collection that came from an 88th Div Vet

If i were you i would go for it as you don't get to see them being offered very often on the Market.

CAn the wreath be removed, can it be placed on and of the the back or is it permently welded soldered on ?

These wreaths attach tightly at the base and are removable unless someone happened to go the extra mile and have it soldered.

An interesting variation!

Kim

These wreaths attach tightly at the base and are removable unless someone happened to go the extra mile and have it soldered.

An interesting variation!

Kim

Thats exactly what i wanted to know. My theory was that this wreath was made with upgrading the EIB in mind, and would be a completely seperate item that you would buy, that it was not a foreign made example. If you look on the hallmark you see the common u.s. sterling mark, i said to my self, thats a EIB with a seperant perhaps removable wreath applied probilily u.s.,thats why i thought and you now verified that it is a device thats slid down the clutch posts and held flush against the back of the badge, this is what now leads me to believe this.It may be a immidiate post war innovation and a clever one at that. WE all know that there where two piece CIB's made, and that these are mostly if not all foreign made, but here i just believe that its a u.s. made wreath applied to a u.s. EIB and that is a real good example of this type of badge , and that i am in no way saying otherwise, in fact i will keep my eyes open so i can get me one.

GUYS--- HAVE THE CHANCE TO GET THIS 2 PIECE CIB-------- WHAT DO YOU THINK?? I SAY IT IS OK BUT,----------

I think that this is a solid piece, no worries about this one.

I would be interested to see a 'theater made' removable wreath, or one that differs from the two types pictured here in this thread. I have only ever seen two types, does anyone have any variations or photos of such?

Travis

• 3 weeks later...

One of a few new arrivals. Haven't seen one like this elsewhere but I recall a discussion on the blue background elsewhere on the forum.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this piece...........

Thanks,

Travis

post-2876-1310772528.jpg

This is one of the first ever third award CIB's. It was presented to MSG Hugh Talley in Vietnam and was made by soldering stars onto an existing CIB. Sorry for the fuzzy picture, no flash allowed! This is on display at the National Infantry Museum just outside of Fort Benning, GA.

post-2876-1310786582.jpg

• 1 month later...

Here is a CIB given to me by my neighbor in the early 70's. I was a boy and my neighbor was a veteran from WW2 and Korea, he was a hero to me and was very good to our family. I don't know much about these but I think it is an early one due to the pin back. The pin is broken, I probably broke this as a boy, I remember it was one of my childhood treasures and still is. It is un-marked. Any info and comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking, Chris

post-50776-0-19581100-1399760268.jpg

post-50776-0-79322500-1399760277.jpg

I thought I'd post a page from the actual AR that shows that up to 8th award were authorized.

My friend Dave let me make a copy of his AR - Thanks Dave!

post-2876-1313807902.jpg

Here is a CIB given to me by my neighbor in the early 70's. I was a boy and my neighbor was a veteran from WW2 and Korea, he was a hero to me and was very good to our family. I don't know much about these but I think it is an early one due to the pin back. The pin is broken, I probably broke this as a boy, I remember it was one of my childhood treasures and still is. It is un-marked. Any info and comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking, Chris

010-2.jpg

008-2.jpg

Does anyone have any comments on the age and era of this CIB. I have heard that the early badges were not very well made, could this be one? Or is it possible that this is a foreign produced post war badge? Your thoughts are appreciated.

Found this pinback CIB on the uniform of a 80th ID vet.

It has no marker and the metal is very soft. Could it be a lead CIB ?

post-131-1188315734.jpg

Stephan

This is the one its made of pot metal, i have the exact same one , the paint is a little differant bt it is like this one posted DULL/MATT.However mine is clean with no browning that you see here on the back.

• 2 weeks later...

Unknown Sterling marked badge. I have only seen this type of sterling mark (a bit curved) once before. It is hand painted and shows some 'rough' spots in the construction.

Anyone seen this type before?

post-2876-1315084359.jpg

post-2876-1315084364.jpg