The Combat Infantryman Badge

Steve B.

I decided to upload pictures of my CIBs, the one on the bottom is a tie clasp it came with a group of items that was owned by a WWII veteran from the 41st Infantry Division, along with the tie clasp the CIB in the upper left was also his.

post-25960-1297323162.jpg

• 1 month later...
OK All,

Here's my collection so far, middle row is from this last week.

Terry

Nice collection Terry, what do you know about the one top right of first picture? I ask because I just got one with that same round looking wreath on a Korea vets ike a few days ago. Quite a pronounced difference when side-by-side with the CIBs I'm used to.

Turns out Denmark also produced under the name Best Emblem and Insignia, or maybe subcontracted through them which resulted in them using the Denmark code on the back of badges. Either way, it is in the original packaging and has acorns, so I'm happy with it! It took a bit of wrangling but I was able to flip the thing over in the plastic to get a shot of the reverse of the badge.

post-2876-1300479779.jpg

Last one, a bit of a different looking 2nd award CIB. Don't think it's theater made but the back looks unusual, there is a pronounced lip on the reverse of the badge along the top and bottom of the rectangular portion. It came on a piece of card stock with 5 Vanguard ribbons and a marksmanship pin which leads me to believe this is not an original grouping, simply a put together bunch of items. They seem to have been together for a while, there are very distinct 'clean' spots on the card stock where the ribbons and badges have been.

post-2876-1300480117.jpg

post-2876-1300480136.jpg

Nice collection Terry, what do you know about the one top right of first picture? I ask because I just got one with that same round looking wreath on a Korea vets ike a few days ago. Quite a pronounced difference when side-by-side with the CIBs I'm used to.

Hi,

Thanks! All I know is it must be foreign. Maybe Japanese?

Terry

• 1 month later...

Looks like I've missed some posts. Some very nice additions here guys. Thanks for posting.

Travis I'd love to see your whole collection sometime. You've got some very nice pieces.

I can't remember if I've posted this one. It's my most recent addition.

post-78-1303664472.jpg

• 1 month later...

Jim-

Nice CIB. It's a variant I've never seen before. My "guess" would be German Occupation. Quality looks too good for Japanese made. And, I typically associate screwback CIB's with being German-made. I've seen Japanese-made DUI's with screw posts, but they're usually very thin. The screws and nuts actually look US-made to me, but I don't think that can be.

So, my default WAG is German-made.

Will be curious to see what others think.

Kurt

I have wondered the same thing. The badge resembles other Asian made badges, both the front and the back. I have one exactly like it, though not in as good of shape! I have seen this particular badge before, is this yours Jim?

post-2876-1308261182.jpg

With those close-ups (assuming it's the same badge), I could see Japanese-made. And, the screwposts don't have a US look to them (which makes sense).

I think somebody needs to post one that is mint on an original sales card!

Kurt

Kurt,

The badge I posted is not the same one Jim posted, but I think that they are made exactly the same. Perhaps Jim can confirm or deny...........

Hi Kurt and Travis,

Thanks for the response. The badge is mine and it appears to be the same maker as Travis' badge. I tried getting some better photos, but I'm battling with my wifes camera, and the camera is winning.

The wreath is hollow back and the obverse of the wreath may be (frosted) painted like the beading on an Iron Cross.

post-78-1308274940.jpg

post-78-1308274963.jpg

I don't know if it helps but I have a bit of experience with post-war German items and the use of a large backing plate with two such screws attached would be unusual imo.

Regards

Mike

I don't know if it helps but I have a bit of experience with post-war German items and the use of a large backing plate with two such screws attached would be unusual imo.

Regards

Mike

I think you may be right. Any ideas?

I'm kind of still leaning toward asian, but honestly don't know.

So, I am going to say that the 'hollow' backed versions with the plate and screw posts are Asian made.

Here's why.

The following examples are also screwbacked, but I believe them to be German made based on the quality, construction, and gut feeling.

These images were taken from elsewhere on the forum or from eBay.

First one is a bit fuzzy but shows consistency with the next two.

Second picture really shows the level of quality, detail in the wreath, and how the screw posts are attached. It also seems to me that these badges have a distinctive sort of ridge or curve on the lower wreath, but without one in hand its hard to tell.

post-2876-1308332999.jpg

post-2876-1308333006.jpg

This last piece is consistent with a German post war pickup, it was obtained with two German made DI's. I believe this is from the pinned CIB thread, there are more details there.

So, I say the initially posted CIB with the plate and hollow back are Asian.

post-2876-1308333119.jpg

Travis,

Good points. The detail with these German pieces is very nice. I'll have to keep an eye out for them. Too bad they did not bother to mark them.

Thanks!!