The Combat Infantryman Badge

Steve B.

Great thread guys. I've been thinking of picking one of these up .. however, there appears to be a HUGE variation and difference in makers.

How the heck do you know what's WW2 authentic and Repro. Surely there are repros ... nothing isnt copied these days.

Darrell,

Check out this site. It's great!! thumbsup.gif

http://36thair3ad.homestead.com/CIB.html

I think I made out on this one. I wanted to pick one up with a finished back for the collection. But, check out the wreath. This is the nicest I have seen. Look at the veining in the oak leaves. Anyone else have one like this??

Sorry about the photos, they are the sellers. I'll get better pics when it arrives.

post-78-1168217497.jpg

Darrell-

CIBs are a nice sub-category of Army badges, and most are still relatively affordable. Beware - they can be addictive, and there is ALWAYS one more variant out there that you don't have!

Jim-

That is a GREAT CIB! I went and looked at my collection, and I have three with similar veining. Two are foreign-made, probably German, but one is a twin to yours. It must be a manufacturer's variation. The other WWII-era CIBs and all the more modern ones I have don't feature that level of detail.

Looks like you scored a winner - congrats!

Steve

Darrell-

CIBs are a nice sub-category of Army badges, and most are still relatively afordable. Beware - they cna be addictive, and there is ALWAYS one more variant out there that you don't have!@

Steve

Addictive? Nah .. nothing in this collective hobby is .... is it? w00t.gif

I finally found my first WWII vintage Combat Infantry Badge today while checking out the local antique stores. It has the silver clutch backs and is marked "Sterling" too.

I also found a neat Sea Bee DUI that is maker-marked "Metal arts Co." and "Sterling".

I also bought a Camillus folding pocket knife. I'm not sure it is military, but it was so cheap because it is a bit rust pitted that I couldn't pass it up. Can anyone tell me for sure if these were military issue?

John

post-262-1168578350.jpg

post-262-1168578361.jpg

post-262-1168578373.jpg

post-262-1168578386.jpg

Thanks Jim!

There is a CIB thread? I used the search function using the term "CIB" and came up with zero results :unsure:

Shoot me a link and I'll post it.

John

A few pictures taken from WW2 combat film footage of GI's wearing their Combat Infantryman Badge while in combat. This was fairly common especially towards the very end of hostilities in Europe.

Enjoy!
Bfryar44

Southern France summer 1944.

Germany March 1945

Germany Feb. 1945 29th Infantry Division

Germany March 1945

post-50776-0-22043100-1399750542.jpg

post-50776-0-22100400-1399750553.jpg

post-50776-0-28868800-1399750569.jpg

post-50776-0-20125300-1399750584.jpg

Great thread!

I picked up my first WWII-era CIB yesterday from an antique store. It is marked "Sterling" with the silver clutchbacks.

John

post-262-1168616671.jpg

post-262-1168616681.jpg

craig_pickrall

They are some good pics. Thanks for posting them. I can't help but wonder if the green scarf in the color pic is to signify he is a combat leader. He is a buck SGT.

They are some good pics. Thanks for posting them. I can't help but wonder if the green scarf in the color pic is to signify he is a combat leader. He is a buck SGT.

Hi,

Very nices photos .. note in green scarf one Good Conduct Medal ribbon!!

Best regards,

Ricardo.

Interesting pictures, I would have never guessed anyone would wear their CIB in the field, but I would have guessed wrong!

thumbsup.gif Thanks for sharing!

Adam

Sniper bait if you ask me :blink:

But very interesting pictures, especially seeing the CIB on a "tanker's jacket".

You know the unit by any chance?

The third picture is of the 29th Division if I'm not mistaken.

But the other photos?

Last photo shows highneck sweater under the wool shirt.

Erwin

I would guess that the pictures are staged (where the guys appear to be in combat) or in areas of small risk of enemy fire. Seems rather unusual that anyone would want to have an item sparkling in the sun attracting attention.

let the officers shine, I'm keeping my insignia off. I had a Sniper miss me once, I'm not looking to call attention to myself

Murphey's Rule: Try to look unimportant. The enemy may be low on ammo :P

Do you suppose some of these could have been taken after recent awards ceremonies? I too would agree that it sure wouldn't have been a good idea to wear something shiney like that in an active combat zone. But then, I wasn't there, so anything was possible.

I would guess that the pictures are staged (where the guys appear to be in combat) or in areas of small risk of enemy fire. Seems rather unusual that anyone would want to have an item sparkling in the sun attracting attention.

Nope, not staged pictures. ;) These are screen captures that I took from DVD film footage. The footage shows these GI's under fire, taking prisoners, etc.. All of them are from different units in different towns. I've got probably another 50 or so scenes of GI's wearing CIB's in the field.

I've talked to alot of WW2 GI Vets and many saw German soldiers wearing their award badges and thought it looked "professional". Most GI's considered German soldiers to be better trained and they wore their badges in the field.

Also in some units, camoflage was not as a high priority as it was in others especially in urban areas.

Bfryar44

Was it Patton who stated that he'd give up all of his medals in trade for one of these badges?

If you consider the time period these photos were taken, the CIB was a brand new award and one of the most coveted in the Army, by enlisted men and officers alike. If you really look closely at many photos of US Infantrymen during WWII, you'll see quite a few of the badges in wear. The badges were a great source of pride then and one reason the subdued version in cloth is still worn into combat today.

Of all the awards and decorations my father earned during WWII, he was most proud of his CIB and I'm sure the men in these photos are simply stating the fact that they've earned a little respect. My two cents.

Gary

the same goes today for the Marine Corps' combat action ribbon. However, the Corps doesn't seem to know how they want to award them, and several guys who shouldn't get them do whereas guys who should get them do not.

Was it Patton who stated that he'd give up all of his medals in trade for one of these badges?

If you consider the time period these photos were taken, the CIB was a brand new award and one of the most coveted in the Army, by enlisted men and officers alike. If you really look closely at many photos of US Infantrymen during WWII, you'll see quite a few of the badges in wear. The badges were a great source of pride then and one reason the subdued version in cloth is still worn into combat today.

Of all the awards and decorations my father earned during WWII, he was most proud of his CIB and I'm sure the men in these photos are simply stating the fact that they've earned a little respect. My two cents.

Gary

Gary,

I think you hit the nail on the head. I had a WW2 MOH recipient once tell me that the award he was most proud of was his CIB!

Bfryar44

Nope, not staged pictures. ;) These are screen captures that I took from DVD film footage. The footage shows these GI's under fire, taking prisoners, etc.. Bfryar44

Could be why they were under fire ermm.gif