The Combat Infantryman Badge

Steve B.

CNY Militaria

I don't see many of these, and was glad to pick one up at a recent show--please show any that you may have!

Excerpt from Wikipedia:

Recorded instances of the unofficial combat badges actually being worn are rare, but the following comes from the memoir of a Korean war veteran:

At one meal in the mess hall, a young fellow was eating at the same table as I. He was wearing a medal on his left chest. The medal looked similar to a Combat Infantryman Badge, the difference being that the background was red and the weapon an artillery gun barrel. I told him that the US Army did not confer such a medal. He got very mad at me. He was just a little fellow. I repeated my statement that there was no such medal. He said that it was a Combat Artilleryman Badge. I said that there was no such thing. His buddies huddled around him and glared at me. Every time we ran into each other on the ship, he was with his buddies and he gave me an angry look.

i_143.jpg

i_145.jpg

CNY Militaria

I believe so, it was an unauthorized badge that some men wore to show combat service. Engineers and Tankers had them made-up as well, although I have never seen one outside of a picture.

To imply or ortherwise state that these badges were "unoffical" tends to lend some degree of authenticity to the pieces. "Unofficial"--not even considered. "Unauthorized"--you better believe it! When I was in Korea, you could find these at any store that provided military items. They found their way to CONUS to stores outside bases. The fact that they existed gave way to the erroneous impression that they were condoned. "I'm an artilleryman and a combat veteran, ergo I'm authorized to wear this badge." That lasted only so long as to the first time you were caught wearing such a piece, and all hell broke loose. In my opinion, these fall into the same category as the parachute wings with the spread legged tart.

Here's a picture of the front/back of a pinback shirt-sized CIB. It's nothing spectacular....I just haven't seen many of these that are pinback type. this one does not appear to be made of sterling.

post-1107-1194988709.jpg

post-195-1195424494.jpgsince there's been some discussion about these I thought I would post one that I have on a uniform, I bought it at a flea mkt. 20 years ago for $20.00, there is a name that looks like parvin and p1678 marked inside. I believe the unit would be the 89th tank bn.

Brad-

I don't believe the badge dates from the Korean War era. This exact badge (and the red crossed cannon artillery type) were made in the 1970's for the collector market. They were all over the place (army navy stores, militaria shows) back then, but I don't see them as much anymore.

Kurt

Do you mean this particular badge, or these unofficial badges in general Kurt?

This particular badge. 1950's era badges of this design certainly do exist.

Kurt

I guess that's a hazzard of posting, finding out that some of your stuff is bad! , oh well I'm glad I know now and will keep posting, thanks for your answer. crying.gif

I guess that's a hazzard of posting, finding out that some of your stuff is bad! , oh well I'm glad I know now and will keep posting, thanks for your answer. crying.gif

Brad-

I wouldn't call it bad. You still have a nice Ike Jacket there and paid a reasonable price.

Kurt

What was the difference between the award for the Expert Infantry man and the Combat Infantryman award ??

Regards

Lloyd

The explanation of the difference between the EIB and CIB is basically correct; one is for passing a number of quite difficult tests relating to the Infantry MOS field, and the other is for actually having served as an infantryman in combat (which does not require the recipient be in an Infantry MOS at the time, only that he performed as an infantryman).

However, the difference between the EIB and CIB was originally not so clear cut.

"Combat Infantryman Badge (approved November 15, 1943) is for those officers and men "whose conduct in combat ie exemplary or whose combat action occurs in a major operation." Expert Infantryman Badge (approved November 11, 1943) is for officers and men "who attain established standards OR WHOSE ACTION IN COMBAT IS RATED SATISFACTORY." (emphasis added by myself). This quote is from pg 79 of the Revised 1944 Edition of "Insignia and Decorations of the US Armed Forces" by the National Geographic Societ.

This was shortly changed to the criteria of testing versus combat which several forum members have already cited. I have also seen copies of the original regulation which discusses the satisfactory combat service versus exemplary, but do not have them at my fingertips right now.

I believe the criteria was changed because of the immense difficulty in deciding what was "satisfactory" versus "exemplary" and what rated as a "major operation".