The Combat Infantryman Badge

Steve B.

I would agree that it is German made..... none of my Italian made patches have workmanship like this one. Show us the back to confirm.

Jim,

If I were going to guess, I'd say German. It's obvious that a machine made cardboard template was used on the rifle and wreath (too exact) and I don't recall seeing any Italian made US insignia incorporating machine made templates. The blue cloth also leads me to believe German, with the machine embroidery that looks like it has squares and center dots. I've seen the exact machine embroidery on plenty of WWII German cloth. Any chance of a reverse shot? It's a beauty alright! Nice find!

Gary

Ricardo-

The top Expert Infantryman Badge (EIB) has the letter A logo of the German manufacturer Assman. That's a nice find!

The bottom EIB looks like a WWII-era sterling version that still ahs the sterling clutches. Too bad about the scratches in the enamel, though.

Hi Steve,

Please, do you have some idea of valours of each badge? (to put in my files)

Thank you!

Best regards,

Ricardo.

• 2 weeks later...

Ricardo-

I'm sorrry I have taken so long to answer your question. I didn't notice your new post until just now.

Sadly, EIBs don't demand the same sort of prices that CIBs do. The Assman EIB is a nice one, and would be a good addition to an EIB collection, but there are not many EIB collectors. I would estimate it's value at about $20.00. The second one is a nice WWII EIB, but the scrathes bring it's value way down. I would guess that it is not worth more than a few dollars.

I hope this helps.

Steve

Ricardo-

I'm sorrry I have taken so long to answer your question. I didn't notice your new post until just now.

Sadly, EIBs don't demand the same sort of prices that CIBs do. The Assman EIB is a nice one, and would be a good addition to an EIB collection, but there are not many EIB collectors. I would estimate it's value at about $20.00. The second one is a nice WWII EIB, but the scrathes bring it's value way down. I would guess that it is not worth more than a few dollars.

I hope this helps.

Steve

Thank you Mate!! thumbsup.gif

Best regards,

Ricardo.

Here are two curious CIB's that I purchased today at a small local gun show for $15 each. Neither are maker marked. The one on top has the open catch and looks British made to me of WW2 vintage. The enamel is rich looking and complete, no cracking.

The bottom one is an odd ball to me and has a lot of strange features that I've never seen on one CIB. The musket appears to be attached to the front, the wreath is also a separate piece that is permanently attached (soldered?). The pinback is different as well. The mark on back is "sterling". The back of the CIB is flat. Again the enamel work is excellent, no cracks or missing pieces. This one has just an odd group of features associated with it !

Any thoughts on these?

By the way, this is a great little show I attended and I had a great time! I also picked up a nice original finish-matching "cyq" p-38 as well so I was happy!

Kim

post-60-1191714382.jpg

post-60-1191714422.jpg

post-60-1191714463.jpg

Looks like a nice one.. In my opinion, a very under-rated award amongst collectors.

German Assault Badges bring hundreds....

These bring $20

They are more or less the same damn thing...

Chris

Looks like a nice one.. In my opinion, a very under-rated award amongst collectors.

German Assault Badges bring hundreds....

These bring $20

They are more or less the same damn thing...

Chris

Thanks! I agree with you!!

Anything German demands

a high price!!

Love them too. I collect anything WWII infantry or medical, so I have a few. Should have my own in a year couresty of the Taliban.

Agree with them being so under-rated. I wouldn't mind someday having a collection of CIBs. They are such an attractive badge and stand for the true test of the infantryman.

Are there various makers for these (london, etc.)?

PS: Awesome photos of your CIB. Looks like it should be the cover of a book about CIBs!

Laury Allison

Here is my rough draft display of CIBs, EIBs, CMBs, EFMBs, and CABs. I just put the metal ones in this display using a riker mount and replacing the cotton piece with 1/2 inch foam board. I wound up rearranging them after initially doing them to get them all to fit. I think I count 4 that I'm missing for this display....a couple of those I thought I had and they may be here and I just haven't gotten to that box yet.

I put the standard and stabrite finish badges for the full size, miniature, and half-size (shirt size) badges as well as the subdued versions.

Hope you all enjoy....

Laury

post-1365-1192152729.jpg

Love them too. I collect anything WWII infantry or medical, so I have a few. Should have my own in a year couresty of the Taliban.

Agree with them being so under-rated. I wouldn't mind someday having a collection of CIBs. They are such an attractive badge and stand for the true test of the infantryman.

Are there various makers for these (london, etc.)?

PS: Awesome photos of your CIB. Looks like it should be the cover of a book about CIBs!

Thanks for your service!!

I gave the photos a little effort. I don't like how

you can see the seam where the photos come together!! I'll

add my photos to the existing thread! Nice collection!!

This is my first CIB!! Stone mint with frosting!!
Picked it up from a fellow forum member!!
Enjoy!

The No_outside_hosting Photo is no longer available.

post-50776-0-97279900-1399753903.png

Nate, Had to "replace" the one I sold. :D

Found this one Saturday. and its a "Cherry" one.

The back is the "White Frosting" just the way we like to find them, also, has the "Original Sterling Clutchbacks"

post-633-1192413699.jpg

post-633-1192413703.jpg

post-633-1192413708.jpg

Carey

Here are two curious CIB's that I purchased today at a small local gun show for $15 each. Neither are maker marked. The one on top has the open catch and looks British made to me of WW2 vintage. The enamel is rich looking and complete, no cracking.

The bottom one is an odd ball to me and has a lot of strange features that I've never seen on one CIB. The musket appears to be attached to the front, the wreath is also a separate piece that is permanently attached (soldered?). The pinback is different as well. The mark on back is "sterling". The back of the CIB is flat. Again the enamel work is excellent, no cracks or missing pieces. This one has just an odd group of features associated with it !

Any thoughts on these?

By the way, this is a great little show I attended and I had a great time! I also picked up a nice original finish-matching "cyq" p-38 as well so I was happy!

Kim

Kim,

Love both your CIB's. Very nice!! thumbsup.gif

Nate, Had to "replace" the one I sold. :D

Found this one Saturday. and its a "Cherry" one.

The back is the "White Frosting" just the way we like to find them, also, has the "Original Sterling Clutchbacks"

Carey

Nice score!! Looks to have a little more frosting than

the one you sold me!! If you can't find room in your

riker mount, I just bought a new cabinet!! ;)

Found this 3rd award CIB for $5.00 at an insignia show in Northern, California. This is a South Vietnamese sand casting with the pins removed and probably glued at one time on a plaque. You can see remnants of the blue paint with has long since flaked off.

post-1389-1193085775.jpg

post-1389-1193085785.jpg