The Combat Infantryman Badge

Steve B.

ABNRANGER1-75
What was the difference between the award for the Expert Infantry man and the Combat Infantryman award ??

Regards

Lloyd

FROM EXPERIENCE- LET ME TELL YOU THE EIB IS ONE OF THE HARDEST AWARDS IN THE MILITARY. I went to a lot of good schools while assigned to Ranger Battalion; but the EIB course was the toughest. It is a week long skills test. The CIB is awarded to infantrymen assigned to an infantry unit which come on direct fire for sustained period of time or for specific period of time in the combat zone. Look it up on google...

hiya guys

could anyone tell me whether this is a real miniature EIB or just a novelty item :think:

thanks in advance :thumbsup:

The six images are no longer available.

post-50776-0-33778000-1399759511.png

Thanks to a fellow forum member, I have a new addition. :)

post-78-1251426248.jpg

WOW! :w00t: That is a great piece Jim, J.Balme CIBs are awsome.

I've been away for a while, but here is a new cloth one I got. I saw a similar one posted by Mr. Morlang in post number 43 in this thread, no idea as to maker or time frame.

Sivart

post-2876-1251469493.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Sandcast Vietnam made CIB, looks as though they used an E&H SIMON made 2nd award CIB to make their cast, you can just make out the hallmark on the reverse of my piece.

Sivart

post-2876-1252227985.jpg

post-2876-1252228017.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

post-6201-1253049343.jpg post-6201-1253049352.jpg post-6201-1253049363.jpg

I got this one off a Korean War First Cav officer's shirt. The shirt isn't ID'd so I don't know if it's original or not, but it has an interesting back that I've never seen before. Anyone know anything about it?

• 1 month later...
I jumped on this piece when I saw it, never authorized but cool anyways. Either a 4th or 8th award by NS Meyers, I will post better pics once it is in hand! Ever since I saw Craigs example, I have wanted one.

Sivart

I have the Army Regulation AR 672-5-2 from October 25, 1961 (18 pages), that show the CIB 4th Award.

post-8324-1256755952.jpg

• 1 month later...
I believe so, it was an unauthorized badge that some men wore to show combat service. Engineers and Tankers had them made-up as well, although I have never seen one outside of a picture.

I went thru my Editor's files and I found these pix from the Jul-Sept 2005 Trading Post. © 2005 ASMIC and used with permission. 1st pic is the Ike w. one emb to it and the second is a loose one from a pocket of the Ike.

post-622-1260042688.jpg

post-622-1260042699.jpg

I went thru my Editor's files and I found these pix from the Jul-Sept 2005 Trading Post. © 2005 ASMIC and used with permission. 1st pic is the Ike w. one emb to it and the second is a loose one from a pocket of the Ike.

Some variations. Unk from what time period for some.

post-622-1260042874.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Here are pictures of the only one I have. I assume it to be modern, but I don't know. The marking on the back says J Balme France. I assume the clutches are replacements. They look like the clutches found on tie tacks. I have some of the same style of clutches on older insignia, but these look very new. Any input would be much appreciated.

post-2011-1208927467.jpg

post-2011-1208927483.jpg

Thanks

Levi

The clutch backs are original, I purchased one to wear on my Blues back in the early 90s at the USAJFKSWC Museum along with a seet of Master Parachutist Wings made by the same company. I will see if I can find them in my boxes of stuff.

Regards and Happy New Year 2010

John

Hello,

I have 3 questions:

How do I know that a CIB is from the Korean War period?

Have there been black metal CIB’s used during the Vietnam War?

Also a CIB I have in my collection. What is the period of this CIB?

Greetings - Antoon

post-5276-1262887761.jpg

post-5276-1262887771.jpg

Hello,

I have 3 questions:

How do I know that a CIB is from the Korean War period?

Have there been black metal CIB’s used during the Vietnam War?

Also a CIB I have in my collection. What is the period of this CIB?

Greetings - Antoon

My questions have been answered at:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=63813

Greetings - Antoon

Buffalo Grunt

This is a letter that I received from my Battalion Commander, LTC Frank Norton when I was awarded the EIB in 1985.

eib2.jpg

Colonel Frank Norton passed away this summer and he'll be greatly missed by those who had the honor to serve under his command.

• 2 weeks later...

My CIB:

cib10.jpg

p7171210.jpg

Made by Harry Sugerman Inc., San Antonio, TX

I think it's a vietnam period CIB, but I m not sure at 100 per cent...

Anyone can tell me thaht would says letters "GI" after manufacturer code ? "General Issue" ?

thanks

Thierry

hiya guys

could anyone tell me whether this is a real miniature EIB or just a novelty item :think:

thanks in advance :thumbsup:

Hi Nick,

This is a lapel pin version of the EIB which would be worn on the lapel of a civilian suit, which is why it has just the one pin on the back.

My latest pickup, Vanguard marked sterling 2nd award. Now I just need a 3rd award with the same hallmark to complete the set!

Travis

Travis,

Nice CIB. :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks to a fellow forum member, I have a new addition. :)

post-78-1251426248.jpg

who is J Balme and are these CIB's available anywhere...I am looking for one for a very dear friend of mine whom is a Vietnam Vet.... :think:

Just got this beauty in, been looking for a while for one of these. Although its not in perfect condition, I am glad to have spotted it and been able to get my hands on it!

post-2876-1267490618.jpg