The Combat Infantryman Badge

Steve B.

A lot of nice CIBs being posted here.

Here is one of mine, I have been wondering about the white painted backs on these,

was that done by one certain manufacturer or maybe a certain time frame or??

Charlie

post-117-1167613635.jpg

post-117-1167613657.jpg

OK then....... Here is my meager collection. I haven't been at these for long, so I'm still looking for German and English made versions.

Top to bottom:

Pin back mini.

CB EIB, all sterling.

CB CIB, all sterling.

CB, two piece CIB, all sterling.

PB CIB, sterling.

I hope to add some cloth soon, if Gary hasn't already gotten them all! ;)

post-78-1167718597.jpg

post-78-1167718624.jpg

Hi All,

Some CIBs of my collection:

This was the most NICE CIB than I already see... the rifle are in high relief and the raised "STERLING" marked, clutch back with Original Sterling Clutches:

Best regards,

Ricardo.

post-50776-0-39910900-1399747399.jpg

2 CIB's that belonged to Pvt Irvin W. Mull who served with the 351st Infantry Regiment , 88th Division , and was captured on 10/26/44 in Italy. He was held in Stalag VIIA at Moosberg.

On the dogtag chain is his US Army Dogtag , his German POW dogtag , 2 P-38 can openers, a footlocker Key, and a charm from Albright College . He initially went to Albright before he was drafted and later graduated from there after the war. I wonder what else he could have put on the chain without causing a stress fracture to his neck.

The full sized CIB is a standard issue sterling one.The shirt sized one ( 2 inches) is pinback with enamel , and is not marked .

MULL.jpg

4-pocket jacket from James A Demopoulos.
Landed at Omaha (3rd wave) as an Assault Engineer.
Transferred to the 328th IR - 26th ID just before the Battle of the Bulge where he was a BAR gunner.
Transferred to the 83rd Division and 42nd Division before going home in January 1946.
Winner of two Purple Hearts and two Bronze Stars.

post-50776-0-35739500-1399763748.jpg

Forgot I had these and found them while going through a trunk looking for something else.

While not actual badges, these streamers were flown from Regimental Colors for Regiments that met the criteria of maintaining, I believe, at least 60% of their members as Combat Infantrymen. This streamer appears to be one of the older type made of silk with button hole in the sleeve instead of snap or button. It also appears to be hand embroidered.

If anyone has more information on these streamers, I'd love to hear it. I'm not much up on them and I do find them interesting.

Gary

The Combat Infantry Regiment streamer

post-84-1167980661.jpg

The Expert Infantry Regiment streamer was, I believe, earned in the same manner as the Combat Infantry Regiment streamer, with a certain percentage of members holding the EIB. This is identical in construction as the CIR streamer posted above.

More information is very much appreciated.

Gary

Expert Infantry streamer

post-84-1167980827.jpg

Nice badges guys :D ,When was autherisation given for the wareing of cib on the OD or khaki shirt?.

Was it seen on the hbt shirt?if not why as this was part of the combat dress as well as the od shirt..

Cheers,

Dave.

craig_pickrall
Nice badges guys :D ,When was autherisation given for the wareing of cib on the OD or khaki shirt?.

Was it seen on the hbt shirt?if not why as this was part of the combat dress as well as the od shirt..

Cheers,

Dave.

You see many pics of the CIB worn on HBT shirts or Field Jackets. I don't recall ever seeing a cloth version, always the issue metal version during WW2. The cloth versions were around though, both US made and theater made.

craig_pickrall

The CIB was approved OCT 7, 1943 and was initally called the Combat Assault Badge. The name was changed to CIB as announced in War Department Circular 269 dated OCT 27, 1943. On FEB 8, 1952 approval was given to add stars for additional awards.

The EIB was announced on the same dates as the CIB.

The CIB was approved OCT 7, 1943 and was initally called the Combat Assault Badge. The name was changed to CIB as announced in War Department Circular 269 dated OCT 27, 1943. On FEB 8, 1952 approval was given to add stars for additional awards.

The EIB was announced on the same dates as the CIB.

Thanks for that info sgt,I did know the acceptance date but really wanted to know about the HBT shirt,Any one have a pic of a cib on a hbt shirt at all?

Nice groupings you guys have thumbsup.gif

Cheers,

Dave.

Great thread guys. I've been thinking of picking one of these up .. however, there appears to be a HUGE variation and difference in makers.

How the heck do you know what's WW2 authentic and Repro. Surely there are repros ... nothing isnt copied these days.