The Combat Infantryman Badge

Steve B.

Cobra 6 Actual

Your’s is actually ‘centered’ nicer, rd12; with the front sight post and the top of the carrying handle flush with the top of the rectangle.

Here’s the M-1 version:
8aacfebaaa0ef00c00c23687bee6947a.jpg

I’m still ‘on the prowl’ for an M-14 version.

Cobra 6 Actual

Yep, rd12, it’s included on the Unauthorized CIB Thread. It was actually made with an M-1 Carbine pewter pin (I happened to notice it one day while browsing eBay). Actually, what surprises me most is that there is not a UA one yet with the M-4 replacing the 1795 Springfield musket.

vintageproductions

Okay, went through 82 pages of this thread and I think I have one not shown.

The background is enameled and looks like a 3rd division patch.

Has anyone else seen one like this?

IMG_0060.jpg

IMG_0061.jpg

BILL THE PATCH
Okay, went through 82 pages of this thread and I think I have one not shown.

The background is enameled and looks like a 3rd division patch.

Has anyone else seen one like this?

IMG_0060.jpg.e714676a66c560fd0dd94fd03490b1f6.jpg
IMG_0061.jpg.0aae2fc245fc1e32ad8fbed22a054652.jpg
Never saw that one before. Very unusual, 3rd div is a good start

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

vintageproductions
2 hours ago, rd12 said:

New one to me!  Looks to be a Williams and Anderson, Vietnam era CIB. 

You can see it next month if you want.

On 6/26/2013 at 9:08 PM, patches said:

Here;s one that was posted in an E-Bay link recently, I thought I might save the images and add it here, a direct embroidered CIB above custom ribbons on a 80th Inf Div officers OD wool shirt, all early German made I suppose.

post-34986-0-88290400-1372306106.jpgpost-34986-0-47828100-1372306117.jpg

Here's three more images I found, of it, as we now see the ribbons are directly embroidered as well, when we first posted the two shots we thought the ribbons, while embroidered, were sewn on as one patch as it were, a triple, embroidered on say card or some other stiff medium.

img_1511_zpsa64a2e2b.jpg

IMG_1513_zps85260e1a.jpg

IMG_1569_zpsfd7003c4.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
ItemCo16527

While perusing GoA Omar Bradley's service record from the NARA, I discovered proof of him being awarded the Combat Infantryman Badge. I'd seen a couple of pictures of him wearing the CIB, but never thought it was officially authorized.  I learned something new today. I'm posting just a couple of the mentions of the CIB in his record.

Screenshot_20210601-160528_Drive.png

Screenshot_20210601-160251_Drive.png

Screenshot_20210601-160150_Drive.png

4 hours ago, ItemCo16527 said:

While perusing GoA Omar Bradley's service record from the NARA, I discovered proof of him being awarded the Combat Infantryman Badge. I'd seen a couple of pictures of him wearing the CIB, but never thought it was officially authorized.  I learned something new today. I'm posting just a couple of the mentions of the CIB in his record.

Thanks for this Item,

Here's a great topic, Brads mentioned too.

seanmc1114
On 6/1/2021 at 4:10 PM, ItemCo16527 said:

That's great information to confirm that the CIB was officially awarded to Bradley. It also perfectly illustrates how misunderstood the initial regulations for the CIB were and why there were so many amendments and modifications to the regulations during World War II. Orders are orders, but there really is no scenario by which anyone could have reasonably read the  regulations and concluded that Bradley was one of the class who was intended to receive the CIB. As a general officer throughout World War II, he was never assigned to the Infantry branch at any time when the CIB was authorized. In fact, to the extent that he participated in any ground combat at all in World War II, the lowest level at which that occurred was when he commanded II Corps in North Africa. Under the same criteria, virtually every infantry and airborne division commander should have earned the CIB during World War II, but we know they didn’t. 

Later changes to the regs published in May 1944 clarified that award of the CIB was restricted to officers, warrant officers and enlisted men assigned to infantry regiments and lower. Based on the clarification issued just one month after these orders, it is clear that Bradley did not qualify for the CIB. Yet the orders stand on their own.

What I find most interesting is that despite the fact Bradley clearly had orders establishing his eligibility to wear the CIB, the only photos you will find of him wearing the badge are from around 1980, right before his death. I’m pretty sure that he knew better than wear the badge during his active career. 

WD Circular 186.11 May 1944.1.jpg

WD Circular 186.11 May 1944.2.jpg

12 hours ago, seanmc1114 said:

That's great information to confirm that the CIB was officially awarded to Bradley. It also perfectly illustrates how misunderstood the initial regulations for the CIB were and why there were so many amendments and modifications to the regulations during World War II. Orders are orders, but there really is no scenario by which anyone could have reasonably read the  regulations and concluded that Bradley was one of the class who was intended to receive the CIB. As a general officer throughout World War II, he was never assigned to the Infantry branch at any time when the CIB was authorized. In fact, to the extent that he participated in any ground combat at all in World War II, the lowest level at which that occurred was when he commanded II Corps in North Africa. Under the same criteria, virtually every infantry and airborne division commander should have earned the CIB during World War II, but we know they didn’t. 

Later changes to the regs published in May 1944 clarified that award of the CIB was restricted to officers, warrant officers and enlisted men assigned to infantry regiments and lower. Based on the clarification issued just one month after these orders, it is clear that Bradley did not qualify for the CIB. Yet the orders stand on their own.

What I find most interesting is that despite the fact Bradley clearly had orders establishing his eligibility to wear the CIB, the only photos you will find of him wearing the badge are from around 1980, right before his death. I’m pretty sure that he knew better than wear the badge during his active career. 

Very well put

ItemCo16527
On 6/3/2021 at 8:46 AM, seanmc1114 said:

Thanks for your post, Sean. Absolutely spot on. And you're right about his wearing the CIB, I haven't seen any photos of him wearing one until very late in his life, and long after he left active duty.

• 4 weeks later...
Cobra 6 Actual

Wear of Army CIB on USAF and CAP uniforms: There’s been plenty of earlier discussion on this Forum about the wear of CIB’s on USAF uniforms, particularly by those who initially served in the Army and then transitioned over to the newly created US Air Force in 1947. In addition, those who earned a CIB, separated from the Army, and later re-enlisted in the USAF are authorized to wear it. 

However, I didn’t realize that Civil Air Patrol personnel who had earned the CIB during earlier Army service were also authorized to wear it. According to CAP Regulations, CAPR 39-1, dated 5 March 2020, Chapter 10, Badges and Speciality Insignia: 10.10.1. US Military Badges. 10.10.1.1. US Military badges may be worn on USAF-style uniforms in accordance with authorizations and instructions found in AFI 36-2903 when appropriate orders granted by competent military authority are present in the member’s CAP personnel record.

So, going to the Air Force regulations, AFI36-2903, 7 February 2020, Section 9.5. Qualification and Miscellaneous Badges and Patches: Wear of other services' qualification badges, if earned and awarded, is authorized. Applicable services’ badge color(s) will remain intact as not to lose its’ distinction as being awarded from another service. Award criteria for other services’ qualification badges will be in accordance with awarding Service’s directives (Army MilPERCEN; Navy BUPERS, etc.). Temporary qualification badges are not authorized for wear on the uniform.

• 2 months later...

A Hand Embrioed Full Color CIB on Cotton Sateen Material on a 25th Infantry Division Shirt, Shirt is one of those PX/Army Navy Store ones, patch is hand sewn on and perhaps Vietnamese made.

cib 1.jpg

cib 1a.jpg

• 1 month later...

I just picked up this cloth CIB at an estate sale.  I had not seen one like it before although there appears to be a couple of them posted in this thread (posts #44 and #141).  Can anyone give me an idea of its origins?  I'm thinking it is foreign made. Thanks.

Dennis

20211112_164516 3.jpg

20211112_164723 3.jpg

On 11/10/2021 at 12:48 PM, rd12 said:

This is the first CIB that I’ve picked up in awhile, it’s an odd one…

305B5109-AD45-4297-8DED-970B96787FE5.jpeg

0E9E28E7-0760-4207-8067-41BA17826BBF.jpeg

I've seen these described as German made.  Seen DUIs with the same kind of clasp that were also likely German occupation era.