The Combat Infantryman Badge

Steve B.

Gerradtgrant

Thank you! I did see that maker and thought it could be, but, wasn't sure. I appreciate the quick response!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Cobra 6 Actual

You are welcome, Gerradtgrant. On a different badge: Recently got this German post-War unmarked, but Sterling Silver, CIB with highly detailed veining on the leaves:

post-159798-0-40740800-1526658746.jpeg

post-159798-0-43596400-1526658761.jpeg

It appears to be made to a similar pattern to the CIB that I photographed in Post #1762.

Gerradtgrant

That is a beautiful specimen. What era would you say the one I posted would be? These are not my photos but seller provided pics. Posted ImagePosted Image

Cobra 6 Actual

Well, given that it is a second award CIB my best guess would be that it was earned during the Korean War, 1950-1953. Plus the use of Sterling Silver was discontinued in favor of 1/20 Silver Filled in ~1967. So, that puts it between 1950 and 1965, when Silverman went out of business.

More experienced collectors may want to weigh in.

Gerradtgrant

That gives me a good basis to go off of. I do appreciate your knowledge. I always enjoy adding new makers to the collection. This one isn't terrible overpriced I think I may add it to the collection!

Cobra 6 Actual

That is definitely a different EIB. First off, there are not that many embroidered ones on Class A uniforms. Since it looks like the 102nd Infantry Division spent most of its time fighting in Germany and there is also an ETO ribbon, a Victory ribbon, and an Occupation ribbon I guess it is probable that the EIB was made in post-War Germany.

Question: are those crossed sabers on the collar brass?

Thanks for posting!

Close up.

Very cool! Is the rifle done in bullion? I dont think weve seen one like this here before. How long is it? Looks like a miniature. Thanks for sharing

Silversides

That is definitely a different EIB. First off, there are not that many embroidered ones on Class A uniforms. Since it looks like the 102nd Infantry Division spent most of its time fighting in Germany and there is also an ETO ribbon, a Victory ribbon, and an Occupation ribbon I guess it is probable that the EIB was made in post-War Germany.

Question: are those crossed sabers on the collar brass?

Thanks for posting!

The collar brass is artillery. He is with the 30th. Field Artillery.

Silversides

Very cool! Is the rifle done in bullion? I dont think weve seen one like this here before. How long is it? Looks like a miniature. Thanks for sharing

Thanks! Yes, it is bullion. It is full size, about 2 7/8".

Here's a hard to find British maker - F. Narborough in Birmingham, marked " F N B'HAM " F stands for Fredrick I think.

On other examples of this maker I have seen, the maker mark appears on both the top and bottom portion of the wreath as well as the center of the badge. This one is marked only in the center. The makers stamp is very small, I need a magnifying glass to read it.

post-122639-0-44069300-1526946875.jpg

post-122639-0-16009200-1526946885.jpg

Here's an oddball I'm not sure about. Machine embroidered over piece of blue felt on a black felt backing. Theater made I'm sure, but where?

post-122639-0-90851700-1526947354.jpg

MilRGRHistory

Back

The Kabul in Dari came out well, especially flanking 2018 on both sides. The speckling of Iron Pyrite in the lapis on this one is also pretty sweet.

• 3 weeks later...