The Combat Infantryman Badge

Steve B.

MECHINF-A15

Really strange bird or rather CIB!!! I don't think it is a fading problem as ribbons and CIB look too fresh & crisp. Maybe Theater made and the tailor misunderstood what color the original owner requested on the CIB background color and he (wearer) said "what the heck". Very surprised (wearer) he got away with wearing this "loose goose" unauthorized CIB but judging from the others we have seen on this great thread so did a lot of others.

lakenormanusa

Here's a picture of an interesting Bullion CIB I pulled from eBay; 37th ID SSI on right sleeve, CBI SSI on left sleeve, 147th Infantry DIs - but the CIB is redish/pink color.

Did the GI just want something that stood out? Is there meaning behind the color? Was he Artillery and switched to Infantry?

It appears to have been made with a pink background.

Pink goes well with the light blue panties.

post-125711-0-15390500-1522821127_thumb.jpg

MilRGRHistory

Here's a badge I picked up awhile back that I think is Italian made. Wreath is made from cordage or piping of some sort.

I remember seeing this one on ebay and thinking it was super cool; it looks like gutted and split suspension line.

Here's another odd one. This started out as a German BEVO CIB. The rifle and blue background was cut out and sewn to a tan backing. Bullion was then added for the border and the wreath.

This could have done for wear on the khaki shirt of perhaps summer/khaki dress uniform. I'm not sure where this piece was made. Very strange heavy wool backing.

post-122639-0-87486800-1523296707.jpg

post-122639-0-38570700-1523296715.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Cobra 6 Actual

Here is a close up of that pink CIB, minus the young aspiring model:

post-159798-0-35391800-1524842102.jpeg

A more detailed discussion of it is on the UA CIB thread:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/303577-unauthorized-combat-infantryman-badges/page-4

One thing of note, now that I have the actual uniform in hand, is that the pink CIB is not the result of fading. As MECHINF-A15 noted, the ribbons underneath the CIB are not faded ... you would expect both the CIB and the ribbons to have equal fading or not. So, the pink color is intentional ... unfortunately, I have no idea why.

Here are two CIBs I bought at the Mesa Military Show this weekend - Vietnam era hand embroidered and a German-made bullion badge directly embroidered on an Ike jacket.

post-122639-0-06285100-1525714969.jpg

post-122639-0-13042800-1525714976.jpg

MilRGRHistory

RD12, that German bullion sewn directly to the Ike is totally awesome!

Here are two CIBs I bought at the Mesa Military Show this weekend - Vietnam era hand embroidered and a German-made bullion badge directly embroidered on an Ike jacket.

RD12, that German bullion sewn directly to the Ike is totally awesome!

Thanks, I don't recall ever seeing one directly embroidered like this before. It's on a jacket to a 71st DIV soldier.

post-122639-0-57921900-1525719224.jpg

BILL THE PATCH

Here are some I recently acquired, the one with ribbons is on a summer khacki officers uniform,post-11207-0-71398600-1525743785_thumb.jpg

Cobra 6 Actual

Interesting group, Michael. Too bad that website apparently does not have the name of the guy who earned all of those ribbons in WWII and Korea.

Here is a cloth CIB I picked up this past weekend at the show in Pomona. I've been looking for one of these for awhile. This badge (embroidered on heavy material) was probably produced near MacDill AFB, CENTCOM Headquarters during Operation Desert Shield/Storm. See the discussion here; http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/250839-centcom-majors-dcu-theatre-made-patches/?p=2492428

post-122639-0-19900300-1526325509.jpg

Cobra 6 Actual

I have seen plenty of CIB challenge coins, but they were all round. This is the first one I have seen that is in the actual shape and size of the CIB (although the bar and musket are both a bit thin):

post-159798-0-62062700-1526475057.jpeg

Gerradtgrant

I was wondering if anyone knew the maker of this CIB. It SB in an oval, I did some google searches and couldn't come up with anything. Wartime collectibles has it pictured with a ?Posted Image

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Cobra 6 Actual

Silverman Brothers: The standard reference CIB book by Michael Tucker lists SB as Silverman Brothers in Rhode Island. Archibald and Charles Silverman were jewelry die makers from 1926 until 1965.