The Combat Infantryman Badge

Steve B.

I found this picture of LTC James D. Herndon in the 1968 Command & General Staff College yearbook. He is wearing a CIB with 2 stars. However, his ribbons don't indicate any WWII service and I cannot find him listed on the National Infantry Museum's list of three time recipients. Any thoughts? It's hard to imagine an active duty officer would blatantly wear this if he wasn't entitled since the two stars would probably stick out like a sore thumb. I wonder if the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal was for the Dominican Republic and he mistakenly thought he was entitled to a CIB for Korea, Vietnam and the Dom. Rep.

James D. Herndon can be discounted as a 3 time CIB holder, he was born in 1931 and entered 1952, perhaps as suggested, Dom Rep plus Vietnam, he apparently served two tours in Vietnam, a second one in 1970 as commander of the 1st Bn 11th Inf, 1st Bde 5th Inf Div (M).

Commanding General 1st Inf Bde, 5th Inf Div (M) ATTN: AVBL-C APO San Francisco 06477

1. (U) NAME AND TYPE OF OPERATION:

a. Name: GREEN RIVER

b. Type Of Operation: Reconnaissance in force, search and clear, rocket suppression, and saturation ambush/patrolling by infantry companies and recon teams

2. © DATES OF OPERATION: 190001H January 1970 to 220900 July 1970

3. (U) LOCATION: AO ORANGE vicinity FSB A-4 and FSB C-2 just south of the DMZ and FSB FULLER. AO RED vicinity of LZ SHARON and HAI LANG. AO GREEN along the Ba Long Valley and vicinity of FSB HOLCOMB. (Map: Vietnam 1:50,000 AMS Series L7014, Sheets 6342 I, II, 6442 II, III, IV.)

COMMAND HEADQUATERS: Headquarters, 1st Battalion 11th Infantry.

5. (U) UNIT COMMANDERS:

Commanding Officer, TF 1-11

LTC James D. Herndon, XXX-XX-XXXX, 19 Jan to 31 May

LTC William W. Davidson Jr., XXX-XX-XXXX, 1 Jun – 22 Jul

post-34986-0-20030800-1515950036_thumb.png

lakenormanusa

I don't know if this is taboo, but I typically straighten bent pins. I'm OCD about straight pins, but I feel it also allows the pin to properly fit into the catch, reducing stress, wear and potential damage, especially on badges with fragile locking mechanisms.

Cobra 6 Actual

Lakenormanusa, that is interesting. I have never thought to do that. Usually if the pin caused undue stress on the catch I just did not fasten it, but now I am thinking that your way is better: one and done. Thanks!

Here's a new addition, this dates from the early 1960's when badges with the separately applied rifle came around ( US Army requested this design change in 1960 and then in 1963 switched back to the standard 1 piece design ). This is not a government issue badge, but made for private purchase. I believe it is US made, but not 100% sure.

post-122639-0-40061900-1516378905.jpg

Here's a badge I just recently bought, nothing particularly special about it. Standard Vietnam era Gov't issue badge.

Took me forever though find a badge with these markings. Wolf Brown (W22) in 1/20 Silver Filled.

post-122639-0-27444300-1516641621.jpg

Here are two cloth badges, late 1940s to the 50s. These would have been worn on the khaki shirt

attachicon.gifIMG_2633.jpg

They do show up sometimes on Khaki shirts, but were actually more commonly worn on the fatigues believe it or not, like the officer ranks and BOS's and Jump wings.

Here's an example of the rank and BOS. Plus more seen HERE, there's not one of a Khaki CIB, but does show the Khaki type ranks wings being used, somewhere out there will be a one where the Khaki CIB is seen worn, will have to look around more.

post-34986-0-58210600-1448337973.jpg

And here are two khaki shirts...

Good examples rd post-34986-0-37056200-1516686466.png

They weren't that popular on the khaki shirts or khaki coats, I guess because it affected the wear of ribbons and other badges like wings and marksmanship badges, but if one just wanted to wear the cloth CIB alone it wouldn't be a problem. But for my tastes, metal CIBs look the best here, same too with wings, now because of the contrast in colors, sewn to a fatique shirt and or field jacket, they look killer.

• 2 weeks later...
Cobra 6 Actual

Yep, firefighter, great sword; but ugly Musket. Really for something that was probably done freehand with some chalk and then handsewn it is pretty good. I recall seeing mama-sans using exactly that method in Vietnamese villes back in the late 1960’s.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this badge on a dealer's site online and it is identified as Japanese made. Not saying that is the case, but it is a possibility. It looks nearly identical to the top badge I posted in #1747.

It has also been pointed out that the bottom badge I posted in that picture is very similar to some Japanese made badges.

post-122639-0-37098700-1518817203.jpeg