The Combat Infantryman Badge

Steve B.

Jim,

I am afraid that those clutches are not English made. They are the type normally found on Wolfe Brown ribbon bars. I believe this type of clutches to be an early WWII vintage.

The CIB is a gorgeous strike though I don't think it is English made. I actually think it is German.

Allan

Well now, that's very interesting. I'll send you a few photos when it arrives. Thanks very much for the information!! thumbsup.gif

Got da Penny

These came about a month ago. From a friend, her father was a WW2 Vet.

I just cant get over how Frosted White the one is. thumbsup.gif

post-633-1173915842.jpg

post-633-1173915870.jpg

Carey

I think this is English made. I like the design and detail. I have also been told these clutches are English.

Any and all opinions are welcome.

I don't usually clean a badge (much), but this one finally arrived and I thought I could see something in the scratch on the reverse. It is a sterling badge, and I think US made. The clutches are interesting too in that they are numbered 1 and 2.

I was looking at my small collection tonight and it's interesting that all 5 of my CIB's are different in every detail. These are addicting. :blink:

post-78-1174011461.jpg

post-78-1174011496.jpg

post-78-1174011513.jpg

..The clutches are interesting too in that they are numbered 1 and 2.

Jim,

I'll raise you with a pair of trays! These clutches were on a WWII single piece, stamped brass Signal Corps collar disc I had in a junk drawer. I will agree with Allan that they're most likely for the Wolf-Brown ribbon bars. Way too many of this type are found on W-B's for them to be a simple case of switched clutches by the soldiers.

When you find out what the different numbers were for, let me know?

BTW - That is a very nice CIB!

Gary

post-84-1174092651.jpg

Jim,

I'll raise you with a pair of trays! These clutches were on a WWII single piece, stamped brass Signal Corps collar disc I had in a junk drawer. I will agree with Allan that they're most likely for the Wolf-Brown ribbon bars. Way too many of this type are found on W-B's for them to be a simple case of switched clutches by the soldiers.

When you find out what the different numbers were for, let me know?

BTW - That is a very nice CIB!

Gary

Hey Gary,

That's pretty neat. I wonder why they are numbered? I don't think it's size, because my 1 and 2 and identical. I like these clutches. They are a nice design and clamp down very well.

craig_pickrall

The numbers may be tooling numbers to determine which tool to check if a flaw turns up during inspection.

market garden
I think this is English made. I like the design and detail. I have also been told these clutches are English.

Any and all opinions are welcome.

I know this may sound strange but I believe these"clutches" were used on the back of some instuments in aircraft. I have seen this on some instruments .I have had several AAF uniforms. Most had these type of "clutches" on the back of the collar disks. Maybe someones has a AAF instrument catologue that shows these.

this is only a guess of mine I cold be wrong. John think.gif

I know this may sound strange but I believe these"clutches" were used on the back of some instuments in aircraft. I have seen this on some instruments .I have had several AAF uniforms. Most had these type of "clutches" on the back of the collar disks. Maybe someones has a AAF instrument catologue that shows these.

this is only a guess of mine I cold be wrong. John think.gif

That makes sense. The " green " finish on the clutches Garry posted look like the " Zinc paint " which was painted onto the interior aluminum of WWII aircraft to preserve it.

Jim , did the clutches on your CIB have the green finish on them before you cleaned them?

Kurt

That makes sense. The " green " finish on the clutches Garry posted look like the " Zinc paint " which was painted onto the interior aluminum of WWII aircraft to preserve it.

Jim , did the clutches on your CIB have the green finish on them before you cleaned them?

Kurt

I promise I will NEVER clean a badge again!! pinch.gif

Kurt,

There was a greenish hue I attributed to crud. I just rinsed them with dish soap and water and they came clean. If it was paint, it was some crappy paint because it just rinsed off, even out of the tight spaces.

Jim,

Looking at your CIB and the marks on the back makes me think that there was a maker's mark that someone has ground off.

It is probably a post-WWII marking but the seller wanted to sell it as a WWII example.

Allan

Jim,

Looking at your CIB and the marks on the back makes me think that there was a maker's mark that someone has ground off.

It is probably a post-WWII marking but the seller wanted to sell it as a WWII example.

Allan

Allan,

Could be. But before I errr..... cleaned it pinch.gif , it had a lot of crud in the scratched part of the back. I'll pull it out and look at it under a glass. Just looking at the photos, I wonder if there is room for a makers mark.

post-78-1174240307.jpg

Here is a 1.75 inch mini. Where there is no numbers, are these WWII originals.

And did Gemsco make minis during the war?

post-78-1174279575.jpg

I have had this for quite some time and have never been able to figure out what it is. It was obviously made in China and is one of the highest quality Chinese items I have seen. it is probably not an actual uniform insignia because it is very small, 3/4 X 11/16 inch, much smaller than a normal DI. It may not even be military but defiantly has something to do with the US. Any ideas, anyone?

post-55-1174314128.jpg

I have had this for quite some time and have never been able to figure out what it is. It was obviously made in China and is one of the highest quality Chinese items I have seen. it is probably not an actual uniform insignia because it is very small, 3/4 X 11/16 inch, much smaller than a normal DI. It may not even be military but defiantly has something to do with the US. Any ideas, anyone?

I am fairly certain that is Korean writing on the back.

It could well be, I never thought of that. The pin in the tube is typical Chinese but it may be early Korean. I know a Korean guy that I have had translate things for me before but never though to show him this. Thanks.

It could well be, I never thought of that. The pin in the tube is typical Chinese but it may be early Korean. I know a Korean guy that I have had translate things for me before but never though to show him this. Thanks.

I briefly studied Korean 38 years ago and the top group of characters very much appears to be Korean: the others I'm not so sure of because it's a much more stylized form of Korean writing than I studied, plus the Koreans do use Chinese characters in addition to their own alphabet.

This one just took over the favorite spot in the case. It has the acorns in the wreath I've been looking for, is pin back, and has the separately applied rifle. It's even contoured for a better fit. In a nutshell, it's a killer badge.

Now, is it WWII era? think.gif

post-78-1174521091.jpg

post-78-1174521113.jpg

post-78-1174521128.jpg

I briefly studied Korean 38 years ago and the top group of characters very much appears to be Korean: the others I'm not so sure of because it's a much more stylized form of Korean writing than I studied, plus the Koreans do use Chinese characters in addition to their own alphabet.

Well so much for that theory :)

Showed it to a Korean today and he said it's Chinese.

Thanks Walt.

It appears the wreath and bar are identical to Mike's, and are both made by Gemsco. However, Mike's badge has a different musket.

Heres one of mine. I recieved this with a huge lot of 1st issue subdued patches. I believe it is vietnamese made. In the photo the blue looks black, but it is a dark shade of blue. It appears to be stamped out of some type of metal & has seen alot of wear due to the fact that the lower part of the wreath is much more worn down than the top part of the wreath.

front:

post-100-1174669791.jpg

Here is a mini. It is only an inch and a half, but the detail is amazing and my photo does not do it justice. It is not marked, but I believe it to be sterling.

Front:

post-100-1174670060.jpg

Back:

post-100-1174670100.jpg