The Combat Infantryman Badge

Steve B.

jmd62,

Cobra 6 Actual has some very good collecting tips. Sometimes collecting a certain militaria area can be frustrating because you either can't find what you want or can't afford what you find. I don't think CIBs are anywhere near that point yet.

US made, foreign made, marked, un-marked, cloth, bullion... As you start to look for CIBs you will be amazed at the variety to be had. While some rare badges can get very expensive, there are plenty out there to start a collection. Nice thing is they are also fairly easy to find - just look on ebay for starters. Like many collectors I have many interests, but over time I have really settled into focusing only on CIBs and it more than occupies the time I have to spend on the hobby. I second the sentiment that you MUST get the book by Michael Tucker. Another great reference is this forum! Sivart recently ID'd some killer German badges that were not even on my radar before I saw his post.

Fortunately, I don't see fakes as a problem right now. There are companies making cheap copies of modern badges, i.e. not to Gov't standards. I have also seen some modern copies of Vietnam era cloth badges. These were being sold as reproductions though and were easy to spot. There are just so many CIBs out there that it is so far not economical to produce fakes I guess.

-Bob

Hey Bob,

Your first paragraph really tells the tale and on top of that, the CIB simply has more meaning to me than the other types of badges I've collected because my Dad valued his. I really appreciate the advice I've received by you guys and hope to start my little collection soon. It's nice to hear that the fakers haven't hijacked these CIB's yet. I'll get on that book and keep reading the great posts on this forum and hopefully I'll "have a clue" some day ; )

Thanks again!

James

• 2 weeks later...
Cobra 6 Actual

That's quite a cool one, Marksman! I haven't seen that hallmark before. Here's one I picked up recently off of eBay:

post-159798-0-92513800-1457371636.jpeg

It is made of bone, handcarved, and painted. According to the info from the seller it was made in WWII in the CBI for a soldier with the 158th Regimental Combat Team. It's a standard-sized CIB, no markings on the back ... just two pins to affix it. However, it is about 2.5 times the thickness of an issue CIB. Given its sort of gold-ish appearance I doubt if this was worn (or worn more than once!) ... I can imagine far too many crusty NCOs and Officers tearing this off of someone's uniform!

It brings up a number of interesting questions about CIBs being handmade from other materials. Somewhere in the mists of time I vagely remember seeing a CIB made from Mother of Pearl, perhaps 30 or 40 years ago. Unfortunately, I wasn't 1) much of a collector then, and 2) probably wouldn't have been able to afford it. Comments?

Cobra

Outstanding piece.

I have seen various wimgs made out of Ivory or bone from the CBI theatre.Also grips for the 45 auto pistols.The CIB is a first I have seen and really a super piece.

Hey Joe, I saw that on eBay as well. The seller also had two 158th DIs of the same construction. Though they were of the SSI not the "Gila Monster". I was curious about how the pins are attached to the back. I think you are correct about nobody wearing this on a uniform - at least not for long! I think this is more of a "souvenir" piece perhaps. Look at the locations where the 158th spent time in the Pacific and you'll get a feel for where it could have been made. New Guinnea, New Britain, Kiriwina & Philippines to start. Someplace they stayed long enough for locals to make such an item. I'm glad you got it, very unique badge for sure! Probably one-of-a-kind!

Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra

Outstabding piece.

I have seen various wimgs made out of Ivory or bone from the CBI theatre.Also grips for the 45 auto pistols.The CIB is a first I have seen and really a super piece.

Thanks, Doyler! And, if there's one, then there are probably more ... and in more different materials, too.

Cobra 6 Actual

Hey Joe, I saw that on eBay as well. The seller also had two 158th DIs of the same construction. Though they were of the SSI not the "Gila Monster". I was curious about how the pins are attached to the back. I think you are correct about nobody wearing this on a uniform - at least not for long! I think this is more of a "souvenir" piece perhaps. Look at the locations where the 158th spent time in the Pacific and you'll get a feel for where it could have been made. New Guinnea, New Britain, Kiriwina & Philippines to start. Someplace they stayed long enough for locals to make such an item. I'm glad you got it, very unique badge for sure! Probably one-of-a-kind!

Thanks, Bob! Since I'm sort of at a standstill on adding to my CIB collection, I went for this one! As for the pins I suspect that they were simply pounded into the back and sharpened. Nothing special about them.

I've been trying to put aside some $$$ to buy this cool Rangerup wall hanger:

post-159798-0-11843900-1457373554.gif

At ~$260 and 32" by 10.5" by 2" it would be great to display it above my CIB collection.

Cobra 6 Actual

Joe, that carved bone CIB is so well done! What a unique pick up. Super piece is right : )

Thanks, James ... now I'm trying to recall where and when I saw that Mother of Pearl one!

Thanks, James ... now I'm trying to recall where and when I saw that Mother of Pearl one!

I would love to see that one if you do! : )

Cobra 6 Actual

I would love to see that one if you do! : )

Stay tuned ... I may get lucky! (But, frankly, I can't remember a whole lot of things.)

That's quite a cool one, Marksman! I haven't seen that hallmark before. Here's one I picked up recently off of eBay:

attachicon.gif image.jpeg

It is made of bone, handcarved, and painted. According to the info from the seller it was made in WWII in the CBI for a soldier with the 158th Regimental Combat Team. It's a standard-sized CIB, no markings on the back ... just two pins to affix it. However, it is about 2.5 times the thickness of an issue CIB. Given its sort of gold-ish appearance I doubt if this was worn (or worn more than once!) ... I can imagine far too many crusty NCOs and Officers tearing this off of someone's uniform!

It brings up a number of interesting questions about CIBs being handmade from other materials. Somewhere in the mists of time I vagely remember seeing a CIB made from Mother of Pearl, perhaps 30 or 40 years ago. Unfortunately, I wasn't 1) much of a collector then, and 2) probably wouldn't have been able to afford it. Comments?

Wow outstanding!

Just saw bone wings but never an CBI!

Thanks for showing!

Hey guys, here's one from eBay worth posting here. It's pricey, but one of the nicest examples I've seen of this particular German made badge. Almost all the finish is intact.

post-122639-0-13103100-1457478225.jpg

Cobra 6 Actual

Hey guys, here's one from eBay worth posting here. It's pricey, but one of the nicest examples I've seen of this particular German made badge. Almost all the finish is intact.

Nice one, Bob. Seems that BillyBullet has some excellent CIBs!

Nice one, Bob. Seems that BillyBullet has some excellent CIBs!

I didn't catch the seller, but I don't think this particular badge was from seller billybullet. But you're right, he has some really nice bullion badges listed right now.

Cobra 6 Actual

I didn't catch the seller, but I don't think this particular badge was from seller billybullet. But you're right, he has some really nice bullion badges listed right now.

Sorry. You're right, Bob, it wasn't him. Here's the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Army-Full-Size-Combat-Infantryman-Badge-CIB-Pin-back-German-made-/191806479577?hash=item2ca88e9cd9:g:FYIAAOSwDuJWwQFC

firefighter

The CIB was approved OCT 7, 1943 and was initally called the Combat Assault Badge. The name was changed to CIB as announced in War Department Circular 269 dated OCT 27, 1943. On FEB 8, 1952 approval was given to add stars for additional awards.

The EIB was announced on the same dates as the CIB.

I never knew it was suppose to be called the combat assault badge.They probably changed it because it sounded too German Army?

• 2 weeks later...

I've been really looking for cloth badges lately - here are some new Vietnam era examples. The top badge is interesting because the border is machine embroidered while the rifle and wreath are hand embroidered. The third badge looks like it was a second award badge with a second star added off to the side.

post-122639-0-99408800-1459046828.jpeg

This pretty interesting badge sold on eBay over the weekend. I'm hesitant to bid on auctions from outside the US and so sat this one out. At any rate it looks to be on khaki which is really weird for a subdued (black) badge. Could be that it was on OG material that is just really faded.

I have badges in color that match the embroidery pattern almost exactly - but this color is a new one to me. If somebody here got it lets see some better pics!

post-122639-0-10425500-1459047345.jpg

Cobra 6 Actual

Hi Bob -- nice ones! I take your point about buying from overseas. I don't want to cause too much 'thread drift' but my big objection to overseas dealers is the postage they want to charge. Some of them get crazy expensive ... I guess they figure we're 'rich Americans.' But, I've actually never had an overseas eBay item go astray (knock on wood).

My way around the high postage charges is to have the items shipped directly from the foreign eBay seller to one of my buddies in the UK, Italy, or France ... naturally, at much, much more reasonal postage rates. They, in turn, ship to me. Since I return the favor for them (as they are collectors, too) money doesn't change hands and it all probably 'evens up.'

Regards,

Joe

Cobra 6 Actual

Here is a recent eBay purchase - fairly crude Vietnamese made badge

Nice score, Bob: interesting that the two I brought back with me both have the same thickened part of the lower wreath as yours.