The Combat Infantryman Badge

Steve B.

Here is my small CIB/EIB collection. The ones on the top are the older, WWII Vintage badges. The ones in the middle are German made and the bottom ones, with the exception of the cloth badges are newer made badges.

The one on the top left is my father's from WWII and that badge kicked off my interest in WWII Militaria. As other's have said, my father stated the same thing that this badge meant more to him than all the other medals and insignia.

Collecting these badges and the variations can be addicting. There are still a few that have eluded me so far, English made and the 2 piece type, but I'll get them eventually.

Recently some one posted a CIB that was marked "Made in Afghanistan" and now I know I'll have to get one of them.

Dennis

post-2843-0-75710500-1455064134.jpg

This is a scan of an original copy of the July 4, 1944 edition of the Stars & Stripes. This was the first edition printed in France after the invasion. I found this copy folded up inside an Army Engineer manual that I bought at a flea market years ago.

Of interest to the CIB/EIB topic If you look at the 4th column you can see a story about President Roosevelt Signing a Bill giving Infantry men a pay raise. That small press release also mentions along with the pay increase there will be a "Special Medal". I thought the mention of this "Special Medal" which turned out to be the CIB/EIB was pretty interesting.

post-2843-0-16775300-1455065497.jpg

MilRGRHistory

The CIB Press release

Outstanding piece of history with the article and great CIB collection. Very cool that you can share your Father's legacy through your collection..

Thanks for sharing.

Nice collection Old Marine, they are addicting to collect, and there is always a new variation that you don't have.

In post #1230 you have two second award badges, can you tell us what marks are on the back?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, here's a neat badge I saw at SOS last weekend. It was in rough shape front & back so I didn't buy it, but I hadn't seen one marked like this so I took some pictures. Picture of front came out fuzzy, but it was a normal GEMSCO early style (detailed leaves). Looks like it was originally a clutch back that was converted to pin back.

post-122639-0-14924400-1456179751.jpg

Here's one I was able to purchase. This came from a dealer who was at SOS from Germany. He was selling a large boxed set of insignia mounted to cards (100+ pieces) that was a dealer sample of all the US insignia made by the firm Steinhaur & Luck. This piece was loose in the box and so I was able to get him to part with just this badge. Unfortunately nothing in the box had a date, but based on the printing/paper I am thinking 1960's era.

post-122639-0-50975600-1456180279.jpg

Here's one I was able to purchase. This came from a dealer who was at SOS from Germany. He was selling a large boxed set of insignia mounted to cards (100+ pieces) that was a dealer sample of all the US insignia made by the firm Steinhaur & Luck. This piece was loose in the box and so I was able to get him to part with just this badge. Unfortunately nothing in the box had a date, but based on the printing/paper I am thinking 1960's era.

It's crazy to think that Steinhauer & Luck went from making German Combat badges to CIB's, who would've thunk it : )

It's crazy to think that Steinhauer & Luck went from making German Combat badges to CIB's, who would've thunk it : )

I know, right? Also Lauer, Assman, and I'm sure others, all quickly converted to producing US insignia. Mouths to feed and bills to pay....

Amazing collections guys, thanks for posting them! I've thought about collecting them myself because like Dennis, my Dad's fascinated me, but I never really knew where to start. Or should I say, I'm clueless as far as who made what and when. After viewing all the great examples here, I need to start my education : )

Is there a concern with fakes, or are these still "safe?"

Cobra 6 Actual

Great additions to your collection, rd12!

Jmb62, you may want to get a copy of "Combat Infantryman Badges 1943-1975" by Michael F. Tucker. This 2012 book should get you started and has many interesting variations, too.

As for fakes, curiously that doesn't appear to be a big problem yet. Although just recently I've started to see reproduction CIBs on eBay that were made in China. So far it seems they are just cheaper copies of a standard CIB with no attempt to deceive. But, compared to TR items collecting CIBs, at least the metal ones that I go for, is relatively safe. I'll leave it to rd12 and the other more experienced collectors to comment more on this issue.

Just looking at the variations and cool CIBs that rd12 has posted should give you some ideas about how to structure your collection: will you go for cloth, bullion, or metal CIBs ... or all three? Only collect a certain era ... say, WWII issue and variations? Or will you collect using a different methology?

For myself I collect from WWII forward in metal. But, I don't concern myself with obtaining examples from each manufacturer. Instead I'm more interested in the subtle variations in design of the different CIBs. Hope my viewpoint was helpful.

Cobra 6 Actual

jmb62, you may want to get a copy of "Combat Infantryman Badges 1943-1975" by Michael F. Tucker. This 2012 book should get you started and has many interesting variations, too.

As for fakes, curiously that doesn't appear to be a big problem yet. Although just recently I've started to see reproduction CIBs on eBay that were made in China. So far it seems they are just cheaper copies of a standard CIB with no attempt to deceive. But, compared to TR items collecting CIBs, at least the metal ones that I go for, is relatively safe. I'll leave it to rd12 and the other more experienced collectors to comment more on this issue.

Just looking at the variations and cool CIBs that rd12 has posted should give you some ideas about how to structure your collection: will you go for cloth, bullion, or metal CIBs ... or all three? Only collect a certain era ... say, WWII issue and variations? Or will you collect using a different methology?

For myself I collect from WWII forward in metal. But, I don't concern myself with obtaining examples from each manufacturer. Instead I'm more interested in the subtle variations in design of the different CIBs. Hope my viewpoint was helpful.

Great additions to your collection, rd12!

Jmb62, you may want to get a copy of "Combat Infantryman Badges 1943-1975" by Michael F. Tucker. This 2012 book should get you started and has many interesting variations, too.

Hey there,

Yes, you were very helpful, I appreciate it! Thanks for the book recommendation, that sounds like the way to start. I'm glad to hear that fakes aren't a problem yet, so that's good.

I would personally be interested in metal WWII variations, at least to start. From there, who knows ; )

Thanks again!

James

Cobra 6 Actual

jmd62, yep, that's a great book. And, I should clarify that in my limited experience the METAL versions of the CIBs don't appear to be copied or faked very much. Again, I await our more experienced members opinions, too, James.

Good hunting,

Joe

jmd62,

Cobra 6 Actual has some very good collecting tips. Sometimes collecting a certain militaria area can be frustrating because you either can't find what you want or can't afford what you find. I don't think CIBs are anywhere near that point yet.

US made, foreign made, marked, un-marked, cloth, bullion... As you start to look for CIBs you will be amazed at the variety to be had. While some rare badges can get very expensive, there are plenty out there to start a collection. Nice thing is they are also fairly easy to find - just look on ebay for starters. Like many collectors I have many interests, but over time I have really settled into focusing only on CIBs and it more than occupies the time I have to spend on the hobby. I second the sentiment that you MUST get the book by Michael Tucker. Another great reference is this forum! Sivart recently ID'd some killer German badges that were not even on my radar before I saw his post.

Fortunately, I don't see fakes as a problem right now. There are companies making cheap copies of modern badges, i.e. not to Gov't standards. I have also seen some modern copies of Vietnam era cloth badges. These were being sold as reproductions though and were easy to spot. There are just so many CIBs out there that it is so far not economical to produce fakes I guess.

-Bob