The Combat Infantryman Badge

Steve B.

Ever wonder who decided the CIB should be so enormous, compared to other badges of the time.

Not much room left on the uniform for ribbons. :D

Wharf

post-525-0-57154200-1444710014.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Saw this interesting example at an antique store. It has two campaign stars affixed to the CIB itself

Neat badge! I saw this done one other time on a CIB that had been made into a bracelet. How much were they asking?

suwanneetrader

I sold this this week and did post it on the Forum but thought it should appear in the ref section. It came from a Col's estate. He served from 1943 until about 1972. Lots of awards (mostly KW and VN). DSC, SS, JSCom, etc. and maybe PH... I think General Insignia, NY is scarce. Richard

post-15934-0-82234400-1444849159.jpgpost-15934-0-68386000-1444849193.jpg

suwanneetrader

First "General Insignia" marked CIB I had ever seen - I was happy to take it off your hands!

I'm pleased a Forum member got it. Richard

First "General Insignia" marked CIB I had ever seen - I was happy to take it off your hands!

The front has already been posted, but here is a better pic of the markings. Side by side, this badge is almost identical to my "C.P.Co NYC" badge. Enough so that they look to be from the same die.

post-122639-0-09405800-1445109327.jpg

How about dating the boxes? Can anyone out there do that? These two are part of a WWII 82nd Infantry Regiment, 8th Infantry Division soldier's collection. He was a late war infantryman replacement in that regiment. I have also posted the backs of the badges which are both Gemscos, according to the boxes. It appears he never wore either of them; no holes in his uniform, no photos of him wearing the badge. He was authorized the badge on his discharge.

post-102494-0-16057700-1445383804.jpgpost-102494-0-14994300-1445383805.jpg

Here is the second boxed CIB from the 82nd Infantry regiment soldier's collection. I just noticed I have the wrong backs with the wrong badges. Just swap the backs in your mind's eye...

post-102494-0-81874400-1445384090.jpg

post-102494-0-80542800-1445384091.jpg

Sorry folks, I have this habit of checking my facts after posting. The soldier above with the boxed CIBs was in the 28th Infantry Regiment, Company I to be exact, not the 82nd Regiment as I erroneously posted. Thanks,

• 3 weeks later...

Gooseheimer, those are incredible boxed badges !

Thanks Bob,

They are housed at the Wyoming Veterans Museum.

Interestingly, it appears this soldier did not wear them on his uniform. He was a late replacement in the 8th Division in Germany. He was a baby-faced, red head kid; the kind of young replacement grizzled vets did not want to make friends with because they might not last long. After the war he did not join any VSOs, did not maintain contact with any combat buddies or participate in any reunions, nor did he tell any stories to his daughter or other family members.

That's how his daughter and the Museum interpret his story.

Cobra 6 Actual

is this modern?

it's not a German BEVO weave... ?

-Brian

Well, I don't actually know, Brian ... I'm not too concerned either way, since it was a 'freebie' that someone threw in with a metal CIB that I bought.

is this modern?

it's not a German BEVO weave... ?

-Brian

These can be found on numerous online surplus/uniform stores as well as ebay and are current manufacture.

• 2 weeks later...