The Combat Infantryman Badge

Steve B.

63 RECON, great info. Thanks very much for posting! I just spent several hours reading all 45 pages of this thread. I read somewhere in the thread where someone had asked about wearing CIBs in the field in Vietnam. Keep in mind, folks, that what one Battalion did could be entirely different than another.

That being said, in my line infantry unit (and during my time with it in 1968-1969) we did not wear the embroidered CIBs in the field ... not in color or subdued (I don't think subdued insignia became common until 1970 or so, anyway). And, we did not wear the metal CIBs in the field either.

The reason was a simple practical one: we'd wear our uniforms for however long we were out on an operation (anytime from a couple of days to many days). When we returned we stunk and our uniforms stunk, so at our first opportunity we would "DX" these uniforms (I believe "DX" was for "Distribution and Exchange"): essentially, you went to supply and picked up a clean jacket from a pile of the correct size; then, did the same for the trousers. Later, after a shower (hopefully, a hot one; but usually not), you would drop off the smelly uniforms in another pile. They'd be cleaned and re-distributed.

So, the uniforms weren't personally issued to us and we had absolutely no expectation of getting the same clothes back. So, why pay to have a CIB or jump wings or a name tape sewn on?

Now, the situation changed completely if I got out of the field (say, close to the end of one's tour of duty). The uniforms were personally issued to us and anyone that had earned a CIB wore it proudly. Hope that helps.

Sorry I missed this, you're absolutely right that one unit could be different to another in regards to wearing CIBs in either colour or subdued. Think it was '68 that the rules changed wasn't it?

Anyway that pic is cool because of the CIBs on fishtail parkas plus I think one guy looks like he has a row of ribbons as well.

Cheers

Ryan

Cobra 6 Actual

BROBS, yes, thanks for pointing that out: oak and laurel leaves ... go figure. No markings on the back of that badge, by the way.

Ryan, thanks for the response. It always amazed me at first about the relative laxity of uniform regs in VN, although I understood that we had more important things to do, such as not come home in a Flag draped box. But, having served as a Drill Sergeant immediately before going to Nam, it only added to the 'culture shock.'

Regards,

Joe

Nice ones, RD. I especially like the second from the top. As you know, some of those other VN embroidered pieces are only the barest attempt at replicating a design.

Here's a metal CIB I have that has what looks likes an Italian Carcano instead of a 1795 Springfield Musket:

This is a neat badge, is this the one that was offered on eBay a few months back? I ask because I have only ever seen one other like it before. As was already pointed out, the wreath style matches TR award badges with its two styles of leaves. And as you say the rifle looks Italian. Hard to say if this was made in-theater hastily for US troops, or made for wear by a US ally. I can't see US troops wearing this badge, but stranger things have happened. Very interesting badge regardless, thanks for sharing.

post-122639-0-84450200-1443024212.jpeg

Cobra 6 Actual

This is a neat badge, is this the one that was offered on eBay a few months back? I ask because I have only ever seen one other like it before. As was already pointed out, the wreath style matches TR award badges with its two styles of leaves. And as you say the rifle looks Italian. Hard to say if this was made in-theater hastily for US troops, or made for wear by a US ally. I can't see US troops wearing this badge, but stranger things have happened. Very interesting badge regardless, thanks for sharing.

It was an eBay purchase, RD12, but I have it in my notes that I picked it up in 2012. And, you're right, it sure is ugly. But, this might have been all that troops could find to buy. (I don't recall seeing CIBs at the PX in our base camp ... that's why we bought and wore those nasty locally made in VN ones.)

Cobra 6 Actual

Great badge Cobra6 very unique.

Thanks, Doyler! That's our method on here to building a collection ... just one at a time, unless we get lucky and find an "instant collection" ... but, that probably wouldn't be as much fun!

Regards,

Joe

Cobra 6 Actual

Interesting, maybe it was to resemble a French Berthier Rifle ?

Thanks for the comment, Patches ... honestly your guess is as good as mine. Here's an Italian 1891 Carcano

post-159798-0-09077400-1443099697.jpeg

Cobra 6 Actual

This is referring back to Post #1124, with the CIB with oak and laurel leaves as well as a pin back. The rifle looks like an Italian 1895 Carcano (note especially the area where the trigger housing connects to the magazine):

Cobra 6 Actual

This is referring back to Post #1124, with the CIB with oak and laurel leaves as well as a pin back. The rifle looks like an Italian 1895 Carcano (note especially the area where the trigger housing connects to the magazine):

post-159798-0-15315700-1443132156.jpeg

post-159798-0-48038900-1443132401.jpeg

Thanks, Doyler! That's our method on here to building a collection ... just one at a time, unless we get lucky and find an "instant collection" ... but, that probably wouldn't be as much fun!

Regards,

Joe

Roger that....

Thanks for posting the back.Love that CIB.

Cobra 6 Actual

Here are a couple of CIBs I purchased when in Vietnam, 1968-1969. Typical in-country made junk ... the top one is even slightly smaller than the other.

I remember that one of the first things I bought (well, after some ice cold beer) when I went on R&R to Hawaii after ~3 months or so of my tour of duty was to find a PX in Honolulu and buy a quality CIB.

post-159798-0-92931100-1443538949.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...