The Combat Infantryman Badge

Steve B.

Can anyone tell me anything about the possible origin of this one?

DSCF0746.jpg

DSCF0743.jpg

DM,

I have seen this one described as Japanese made. Maybe one of the old hands knows for sure. Your collection is great!!! thumbsup.gif

Can anyone tell me anything about the possible origin of this one?

DSCF0746.jpg

DSCF0743.jpg

My guess is, with those huge clutch-pin heads, it's straight up Japanese made. I've seen many of the same type clutches on Japanese made and hallmarked DUI's. If not Japanese, at least Asian, but my money is on Japanese.

Gary

Bear, thanks for the comments. That EIB is a WW2 era with Stainless clutches and short pins. I do not know this for sure but I think that wreath came from Italy. The EIB with wreath came from a vet of the 34th INF DIV. I have posted the series of patches that I got from the same vet in the 34th INF DIV thread in the patch section.

A little note about the EIB and the CIB The CIB has a cocked hammer on the rifle where the EIB does not. It is one of those simbolism things showing the combat vet has had to fire his rifle in combat where the EIB holder has not. One thing that I noticed tho is that the WWII EIB's that I have seen all have cocked hammers so I dont know when that started.

Perhaps I have missed it, but can someone deliniate when the CIB was worn on the pocket flap as seen in some photos? My 1945 edition of "The Officer's Guide" states the CIB and EIB were to be worn on the left breast above the line of the ribbon bar or medal bar. Was there a time(s) when it was acceptable to wear it below the line of the ribbon bar and why?

Perhaps I have missed it, but can someone deliniate when the CIB was worn on the pocket flap as seen in some photos? My 1945 edition of "The Officer's Guide" states the CIB and EIB were to be worn on the left breast above the line of the ribbon bar or medal bar. Was there a time(s) when it was acceptable to wear it below the line of the ribbon bar and why?

Sarge,

The only place I have ever seen the CIB worn on the pocket flap is on parachute and glider troop uniforms. The badges were dropped down to the pocket flap as when they were worn below the jump wing, they would force the wing up under the lapel. There is nothing published in the WWII regs to allow this practice, but I suppose that if you see General Gavin walking around wearing his on the pocket flap, you can safely assume that he isn't going to say anything to you about wearing the badge the same way.

Allan

Thanks Allan. The para / glider information was the bit that I was missing. What you say makes sense out of the practice to me now.

Missed you at SOS.

Hey guys,

Any opinions on this one as to maker and time frame.

Thanks.

Jim-

That's the world's rarest CIB and is worth at least $3000. Offer the seller $2000 for it.

Kurt

ps - ok, I'll come clean. It's mine and that's the photo from my ebay listing (that didn't sell) It's German Occupation period.

Jim-

That's the world's rarest CIB and is worth at least $3000. Offer the seller $2000 for it.

Kurt

ps - ok, I'll come clean. It's mine and that's the photo from my ebay listing (that didn't sell) It's German Occupation period.

Hey Kurt,

It looks identical to the direct post war German made bullion CIB's on OD wool. With the AG backing, wouldn't this beautiful example post date 1957?

Now that you have openly stated that it was listed on eBay and didn't sell, may I ask what your reserve price was?

Gary

post-84-1172537233.jpg

Hey Kurt,

It looks identical to the direct post war German made bullion CIB's on OD wool. With the AG backing, wouldn't this beautiful example post date 1957?

Now that you have openly stated that it was listed on eBay and didn't sell, may I ask what your reserve price was?

Gary

Gary-

It's grey backing, not AG backing. But, in looking at yours just now (which has the same type bullion musket), some of the wool is missing on yours and what's sticking through appears to be the same color as my backing. It would appear my CIB is missing all the OD wool.

Kurt

Gary-

It's grey backing, not AG backing. But, in looking at yours just now (which has the same type bullion musket), some of the wool is missing on yours and what's sticking through appears to be the same color as my backing. It would appear my CIB is missing all the OD wool.

Kurt

Kurt,

Because the blue wool is still intact on yours and the moths didn't touch it, I'm guessing your badge was intentionally made this way without the OD wool backing. Very cool variation and much earlier than I assumed as being post 1957 with AG backing. The moth nipped bottom badge with the same gray base I showed is attributed to winter 1945-46 Munich from the vet I got it from. Nice badge, Kurt!

Jim - Since it didn't sell this time around, you'd better figure a way to fenangle that beauty out of Kurt. These Occupation era German CIB's have some of the prettiest bullion work you'll find and I might add, don't come along all that often.

Gary

Sorry Guys,

A little tired right now, are we saying this patch is from approximately 1945-1946?

Thanks,

Jim

Jim,

All I can tell you is that one of mine is attributed to a soldier who served in Munich during late 1945, early 1946 and Kurt's embroidery work looks pretty much identical to that one, actually, to both I have. I have no idea as to how long this particular CIB pattern or German bullion workmanship lasted during Occupation or after, so wouldn't be able to pin down an exact date for you. Because the blue wool is completely intact on Kurt's badge, I'm fairly convinced that his was never gotten to by moths or bugs and was intentionally made this way without the OD wool backing.

To tell you the truth, I wouldn't mind having the badge in my own collection, regardless of when it was made. Even if it was embroidered during the 1950's or Vietnam period, which I seriously doubt, they are just really well made and nice to look at. It would be a nice addition to any CIB collection!

Gary

I have a German bullion example almost identical to both Kurt and Garys

and what cannot be seen in the scans is the radiance in the thread used in the center of the oak leaves. It is far more reflective than the surrounding bullion and when it catches the light it is a stunning feature, kind of like a diamond.

These almost have to be seen in person to be appreciated

Charlie

• 2 weeks later...

I think this is English made. I like the design and detail. I have also been told these clutches are English.

Any and all opinions are welcome.

post-78-1173671857.jpg

post-78-1173671872.jpg

That is an interesting CIB. Speaking of placing bids like that, I once placed a bid on a WWI helmet for 3,400.00 on accadent. I thought I hit the decimal key, but I hit the comma instead. Was trying to bid 34.00. Thank god I got it at around 34 or 36 dollars.

Mike,

THAT is a nice CIB. I love the detail in the wreath. This is the second I have seen with the acorns included in the wreath design. The pin attachment is interesting. Makes me want to think it is a WWII CIB with the star added later. Maybe even the soldiers original that was updated. Excellent!! thumbsup.gif

Anyone have any info on the clutches on my CIB? Are these English? Any help is appreciated.

Anyone have any info on the clutches on my CIB? Are these English? Any help is appreciated.

Jim,

I am afraid that those clutches are not English made. They are the type normally found on Wolfe Brown ribbon bars. I believe this type of clutches to be an early WWII vintage.

The CIB is a gorgeous strike though I don't think it is English made. I actually think it is German.

Allan