The Combat Infantryman Badge

Steve B.

Some really great color photos of some 15th Infantry Regiment infantrymen in Korea wearing second awards of the CIB. The photos are copyrighted so I am only posting links to the site, not the photos themselves. You rarely see color photos of this quality from that era.

http://www.ophsa.org/Korea/Enlarged_054.htm

http://www.ophsa.org/Korea/Enlarged_066.htm

http://www.ophsa.org/Korea/Enlarged_070.htm

Haven't posted anything in a while, wanted to share some of my cloth CIB variations.

Great badges! I really like this one. Are the multicam badges theater made? Are guys wearing sew-on multicam badges like this?

Haven't posted anything in a while, wanted to share some of my cloth CIB variations.

Great badges! I really like this one. Are the multicam badges theater made? Are guys wearing sew-on multicam badges like this?

post-122639-0-46464100-1425659076.jpg

That one was made in Kabul, good eye! The other multicam badges were made in Kuwait.

People are wearing their special skill badges on their OCP uniforms now, though I wouldn't say that the practice is widespread. One of the recent changes to the AR formally authorizes sew on skill badges on the OCP uniforms but many people don't want to 'go to the trouble' of having their uniforms fully patched.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

From a old Manions Auction catalog.

Take a look at last row right and FIRST ROW LEFT !!!

Michael

post-8324-0-19789700-1437251942.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty cool pic of guys wearing CIBs on M-51 cold weather parkas.

Caption to the photo.

Eisenhower in Korea

President Eisenhower and Sargent Virgil Hutcherson, Squad Leader, Co. B, 15th Infantry Regiment, 3rd US Infantry Division, eat dinner in Korea. December 4, 1952.

• 3 weeks later...
Cobra 6 Actual

63 RECON, great info. Thanks very much for posting! I just spent several hours reading all 45 pages of this thread. I read somewhere in the thread where someone had asked about wearing CIBs in the field in Vietnam. Keep in mind, folks, that what one Battalion did could be entirely different than another.

That being said, in my line infantry unit (and during my time with it in 1968-1969) we did not wear the embroidered CIBs in the field ... not in color or subdued (I don't think subdued insignia became common until 1970 or so, anyway). And, we did not wear the metal CIBs in the field either.

The reason was a simple practical one: we'd wear our uniforms for however long we were out on an operation (anytime from a couple of days to many days). When we returned we stunk and our uniforms stunk, so at our first opportunity we would "DX" these uniforms (I believe "DX" was for "Distribution and Exchange"): essentially, you went to supply and picked up a clean jacket from a pile of the correct size; then, did the same for the trousers. Later, after a shower (hopefully, a hot one; but usually not), you would drop off the smelly uniforms in another pile. They'd be cleaned and re-distributed.

So, the uniforms weren't personally issued to us and we had absolutely no expectation of getting the same clothes back. So, why pay to have a CIB or jump wings or a name tape sewn on?

Now, the situation changed completely if I got out of the field (say, close to the end of one's tour of duty). The uniforms were personally issued to us and anyone that had earned a CIB wore it proudly. Hope that helps.

• 1 month later...

This is not one of mine, but I saw it on eBay and it is pretty unique. Miniature size, interesting wreath and rifle.

That mini is cool

Just found one at a tag sale..pin back with GEMSCO Sterling

Cobra 6 Actual

Here are some recent finds, Vietnam era hand embroidered;

Nice ones, RD. I especially like the second from the top. As you know, some of those other VN embroidered pieces are only the barest attempt at replicating a design.

Here's a metal CIB I have that has what looks likes an Italian Carcano instead of a 1795 Springfield Musket:

post-159798-0-14854600-1443016426.jpeg