The Combat Infantryman Badge

Steve B.

Even though it's not marked "sterling" it sure looks 1940's to me. Nice solid locking catch too. I would think a later badge would be clutchback and/or have a numerical maker's hallmark code.

Kurt

Laury Allison
Very Nice display. I thought the CAB replaced the CIB.

Andrew

The Combat Action Badge (CAB) did not replace the Combat Infantry Badge (CIB). Soldiers with an Infantry or Special Forces MOS (Military Occupational Specialy), receive the CIB as long as they meet the criteria. Medical personnel receive the CMB. All other persoonel are elible for the CAB as long as they meet the prescribed criteria.

If you would like to read more about the criteria for these badges (it has changed over the years), I would recommend checking the Institute of Heraldry website at http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Badges/U...sArmyBadges.htm

Laury

Here's 2 of my CIBs. Both are mine. The regulation dress one was pinned on me during my battalion (3 Bn 17 Inf, 7 ID) awards ceremony following our redeployment back from Panama (Operation Just Cause). The subdued one was handed to me during the same ceremony. Both are pinned back and present in March 1990.

I'll try an locate my father's from the Korean War.

post-3699-1217993351.jpg

post-3699-1217993424.jpg

Here are pictures of the only one I have. I assume it to be modern, but I don't know. The marking on the back says J Balme France. I assume the clutches are replacements. They look like the clutches found on tie tacks. I have some of the same style of clutches on older insignia, but these look very new. Any input would be much appreciated.

post-2011-1208927467.jpg

post-2011-1208927483.jpg

Thanks

Levi

Hi

Do i read J BALME FRANCE on it? or is just my screen?A real beauty!

Karl

Hi everybody,just one question:is it congruent to see BDUs or DCUs with a unit patch on the left sleeve(the last unit where the owner of the jacket is-was- in service),a unit patch on the right sleeve (that is if I am not wrong a unit with which the owner of the jacket was in combat) but no CIB?

Thank to eveybody for all the informations.

BOB K. RKSS

Only Soldiers with INFANTRY MOS (Military Occupation Specialty), & in a combat zone: can qualify for Combat Infantry Badge (CIB)

Yes its very common in today's army. In fact it is way more common to see everyone with a patch on the right sleeve and no CIB, CMB or CAB. Since you have to engage or be engaged by the enemy to receive one of those awards. All the right shoulder patch means is you spent 30+ days in a declared combat theater. There are even some infantrymen who leave theater without a CIB no fault of their own just no direct contact with enemy.

David

Yes its very common in today's army. In fact it is way more common to see everyone with a patch on the right sleeve and no CIB, CMB or CAB. Since you have to engage or be engaged by the enemy to receive one of those awards. All the right shoulder patch means is you spent 30+ days in a declared combat theater. There are even some infantrymen who leave theater without a CIB no fault of their own just no direct contact with enemy.

David

thumbsup.gif thank you David for the very interesting information.

Besides a declared combat theater, the SSI on the right sleeve can also be worn for units that were deployed into a hostile zone. two examples would be Operation Fury (Grenada) and Operation Just Cause (Panama).

Some additional information with the awarding of the CIB. Not only does the service-member need to hold an infantry MOS, they must be serving in a Infantry MOS position. An actual example, if an infantryman is serving as a 76Y (Supply clerk), even if they see combat they are not eligible for the CIB. I know this for a fact, because in the company I deployed to Panama for Operation Just Cause, we had a 11B serving/assigned to the company as a supply clerk.

Someone told me that CIB was awarded to soldiers on patrol on the DMZ for retaliating at hostile fire from the communist side.

Could someone confirm or deny ?

The only instance I know of a fact of that happening was at Panmujon when a Russian working there became a defector and fled right there in the middle of the standoff that occurs everyday. This resutled in the North Korean Guards and members of the UNJMK soliders getting into a firefight. One US soldier was killed and the defector was wounded. One of my old CSM was one of the soliders there and ended up getting awarded his CIB 15 years later at a ceremony I was at. This is the only instance I heard of their may be more but I doubt it.

David

greendevilsix
Here are pictures of the only one I have. I assume it to be modern, but I don't know. The marking on the back says J Balme France. I assume the clutches are replacements. They look like the clutches found on tie tacks. I have some of the same style of clutches on older insignia, but these look very new. Any input would be much appreciated.

post-2011-1208927467.jpg

post-2011-1208927483.jpg

Thanks

Levi

I was researching J. Balme on the net hoping they made a CAB which would match the Parachute wings and Air Assault wings I wear on my dress blues. No luck. To answer your question, it is a modern made item as they were available at General Jacksons military surplus store in Fayetteville, NC circa 1992 when I bought my wings. There were only the 5 different badges, basic parachutist as well as senior and master wings , air assault and the CIB were for sale at the time. After General Jacksons tore down the old building and constructed a mega surplus store they no longer carried the wings as I last looked in 2002 before I changed duty stations to come to Germany. I hope this helps.

Jim

notinfringed
I was researching J. Balme on the net hoping they made a CAB which would match the Parachute wings and Air Assault wings I wear on my dress blues. No luck. To answer your question, it is a modern made item as they were available at General Jacksons military surplus store in Fayetteville, NC circa 1992 when I bought my wings. There were only the 5 different badges, basic parachutist as well as senior and master wings , air assault and the CIB were for sale at the time. After General Jacksons tore down the old building and constructed a mega surplus store they no longer carried the wings as I last looked in 2002 before I changed duty stations to come to Germany. I hope this helps.

Jim

Thank you very much for the help. I assumed that they were newer, but it is good to finally know for certain.

Levi

During a recent visit with my mom and dad, I went through some of his boxes from his army service 46-57 and discovered this EIB. I was unable to get a good image of the reverse side. It's has 2 short pins, the rifle looks like it is a separate made piece and was attached to the base. There is no markings of any kind on the back. The base is about 1/8 of an inch thick. Also, when i examine it closely, the blue enamel actually looks like it was poured into the base.

Ed

post-3699-1219293143.jpg

Captainofthe7th

Beautiful piece! It looks like the same company that made my grandfather's CIB. Is the back solid? I don't know what the maker is, it's marked sterling but I love this company.

Rob

During a recent visit with my mom and dad, I went through some of his boxes from his army service 46-57 and discovered this EIB. I was unable to get a good image of the reverse side. It's has 2 short pins, the rifle looks like it is a separate made piece and was attached to the base. There is no markings of any kind on the back. The base is about 1/8 of an inch thick. Also, when i examine it closely, the blue enamel actually looks like it was poured into the base.

post-3699-1219369214.jpg

post-3699-1219369275.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Straight from a vet's estate auction, this CIB has been modified by filing down the back (including the word "Sterling") and soldering on a pin from a ribbon bar.

post-2647-1221090541.jpg