The Combat Infantryman Badge

Steve B.

A Couple CIBs to a man who was in WWII and Korea- They are both unmarked and I am not sure to which war they date. If you can provide any insight I would much appreciate it. Thanks

Kyle

post-537-1210448181.jpg

post-537-1210448188.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Captainofthe7th

Here's my Pepere's CIB from Korea. It was a PX purchase as the rifle is more raised and the oak leaves are larger than normal.

The National Defense Ribbon was recently acquired through the government, and the Korean Service ribbons were once plastic coated, but that deteriorated with age, unfortunately.

Rob

post-50776-0-78347600-1399755065.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Laury Allison

I revamped my CIB/EIB, CMB/EFMB, and CAB display. This was done in a Ryker Mount case, replacing the cotton batting with 1/2" foam board. I've got them all except for the Combat Action Badge miniature in oxide finish (I'm not sure it even exists in that, but one will probably turn up eventually).

I also have the prototype Combat Action Badges. As far as I know, the CABs have only been made in the 1st Award style except for some cloth versions used during the prototype stage. Same goes for the Combat Infantry Badge, 4th Award. I've seen a couple example of those, but they looked like a 3rd Award CIB with an extra star added. The CIBs were made up in cloth for the 4th through the 8th Awards and I believe were prescribed in regulations some years ago. I picked up a set of those some years ago when I was stationed in Hawaii. Think about it...it's cheaper to have something made up in cloth than metal? While those were authorized and prescribed (at least at one time), no one has ever received more than 3 awards of either the CIB or CMB (and those numbers are very small and the names are researchable). I think I remember reading that there were only one or two soldiers who were eligible for a Combat Medical Badge, 3rd Award. There is something like 150 soldiers with a Combat Infantry Badge, 3rd Award. So those are not seen very often. I have had the privelage of knowing at least a couple of those guys.

Hope you all enjoy my display, and it may inspire some of you to do your collections this way. If you need some advice on how to put it together, let me know.

Enjoy! thumbsup.gif

Laury

post-1365-1215514826.jpg

This is an attractive display. It would really gain a lot of attention out in public. Have a few business cards handy......you never know.

Laury Allison
This is an attractive display. It would really gain a lot of attention out in public. Have a few business cards handy......you never know.

Thanks! Sometimes getting items to fit in the space can be the hardest part of doing a display. It's great when it works out.

Laury

Old Marine

That's a nice looking display.

The replacing the batting with foam board is a great idea.

Very nicely done.

Dennis

Laury Allison

Thanks all. The foam board really does a nice job of holding your insignia. As you probably know, the batting that comes in the ryker mounts does tend to cause any heavier items to slip and not necessarily stay where you wanted it. This eliminates that problem, but you need to have a good idea of your layout before you start.

I appreciate all the good comments. Hope some of you can use my ideas for your own collections/displays.

Laury

Laury Allison
Does this replace the CIB? pinch.gif

The Combat Action Badge (CAB) is for soldiers who come under fire and would otherwise be eligible for a CIB or CMB, but aren't Infantry or Medical.

Laury

Thanks fellas! Luary you are correct as I am a 13F (forward obsever) though I roll with the infantry just like the medics.... we aren't eligible for the CIB or CMB so its a good feeling to finally get something too when they get theirs for the same actions.

David

The Combat Action Badge (CAB) is for soldiers who come under fire and would otherwise be eligible for a CIB or CMB, but aren't Infantry or Medical.

Laury

Laury,

Thanks!!

David,

My Bro-in-law is an aviator in the 101st. Your looking good in that uniform.

• 2 weeks later...

By the looks of it it could be German made though not 100% sure. A lot of their stuff I saw offered for sale to us while stationed in Berlin in the early 90's had a sta-brite look to it. It looked good till you looked at the reverse. This reminds me of that.

David

Today i got my first CIB´s.All from the same seller.

The first is a nice detailed metal one(era unkown to me) marked on the back L-22.

post-1820-1216837863.jpg

post-1820-1216837981.jpg

Karl

And this is my cloth CIB.

Both items are in good shape.Can be said when where they manufactured?

Thanks

Karl

post-1820-1216838124.jpg

post-1820-1216838155.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

I bought this badge a couple month ago on a flea market, and I just purchased it because i don't find a lot US stuff here.

Can someone help me with the age of this badge?

It has no markings.

post-2919-1217605008.jpg

post-2919-1217605018.jpg