The Combat Infantryman Badge

Steve B.

• 1 month later...

Here is bullion CIB sewn on to a WWII dress jacket. Probably the nicest one in my collection. Two types of bullion wire used ( notice the contrast ) and the lighter thread used to attach the badge to the jacket is nearly perfect. Blue backing is felt.

post-122639-0-98102500-1396137974.jpg

2nd Award, full-size GEMSCO badge. Interesting variation of the rifle and nice leaf detail. The star is larger than most 2nd Awards I've seen.

post-122639-0-85473800-1396287499.jpg

Here is the reverse. The star and wreath are separate pieces soldered on. The posts don't appear to go through the wreath but are attached to it.

post-122639-0-58622600-1396287585.jpg

2nd Award, full-size GEMSCO badge. Interesting variation of the rifle and nice leaf detail. The star is larger than most 2nd Awards I've seen.

Love these Gemsco badges, especially with this type of rifle. Here is first 1st award.

post-78-0-67008900-1396744734.jpg

Here is the 2nd award with the usual rifle.

post-78-0-92894100-1396744746.jpg

Here is an interesting GEMSCO, early, but lacking acorns. Does have the fine leaf detail. This may have been an EIB converted to CIB by adding the wreath, not sure. The wreath is a separate piece but does not budge now and seems permanently attached.

post-122639-0-64185800-1396912358.jpg

I have been slowly trying to photograph/catalog my CIBs - so here is another pic!

This is a very heavy, probably brass, badge. Enamel is nice, detail on wreath is somewhat crude. The pin back clasp is a separate piece and soldered on. The brass, enamel, and quality pin suggest British perhaps - but other British badges I've seen have more detail on the wreath. So I'm not sure on this one. No hint of a silver wash remains.

post-122639-0-75040400-1396974780.jpg

I have been slowly trying to photograph/catalog my CIBs - so here is another pic!

This is a very heavy, probably brass, badge. Enamel is nice, detail on wreath is somewhat crude. The pin back clasp is a separate piece and soldered on. The brass, enamel, and quality pin suggest British perhaps - but other British badges I've seen have more detail on the wreath. So I'm not sure on this one. No hint of a silver wash remains.

I like this one. It has an interesting look about it.

What are your thoughts on this one? The photo is not that great, but it is completely a bronze color and unmarked.

post-78-0-54434200-1396982680.jpg

I like this one. It has an interesting look about it.

What are your thoughts on this one? The photo is not that great, but it is completely a bronze color and unmarked.

attachicon.gifCIB, BRONZE ($31).jpg

Is this one you own, or is it an online find?

It's mine. Why do you ask?

I just thought that if it was an online image find the Bronze color may have been somekind a photo/print discoloration. It is interesting, wonder if it had a silver wash that was removed if that's possible?

These CIBs originally had a silver finish over the bronze base metal. The silver finish usually becomes thinner over time from polishing, thus revealing the bronze metal underneath.

This badge in unofficial - but I think it fits in this topic. C. Polk badge, Michael Tucker's book dates its manufacture to 1960-62. Musket has been replaced by a well crafted M-16 ( not original to the C. Polk badge ). M-16 appears to be sterling.

post-122639-0-23336900-1397087909.jpg

MFT3, would you say the bronze badge I posted above is Japanese as well?

rd12, if the blue field on your CIB is vitreous, I would say it is probably British manufactured. The shape of the rifles butt stock is also in the style the British liked to use. And they did make CIBs from bronze metal. If the blue field is paint or enamel, it is most certainly Japanese. I hope this helps you.

This badge in unofficial - but I think it fits in this topic. C. Polk badge, Michael Tucker's book dates its manufacture to 1960-62. Musket has been replaced by a well crafted M-16 ( not original to the C. Polk badge ). M-16 appears to be sterling.

This is one of the most unique CIBs that I have seen! Polk is one of the hardest makers to find as well. If you need to pass it on, I am interested!