The Combat Infantryman Badge

Steve B.

craig_pickrall

This is an officer grade shade 51 shirt with the 79th INF DIV patch and a direct embroidered CIB that is fairly nice.

post-5-1166024834.jpg

post-5-1166024847.jpg

post-5-1166024857.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

sgt bilko, I have the mate to your shirt! I picked up a suitcase full of goodies from a 79th division vet, Edward Gerdes, of the 313th Infantry. His CIB is embroidered directly to his shirt as well. The ribbon bar is a seperate embroidered piece sewn to his shirt. Do you know what regiment your guy belonged too?

Interestingly, the pants to his uniform are from a maker in Paris.

post-60-1166793634.jpg

post-60-1166793684.jpg

Here's a pinback CIB I purchased off ebay about 4 years ago. For some reason the CIB, patches, three 399th Infantry German made DI's and his photo album only sold for $22 ! I thought it was a bargain. It all belonged to Bob Dunn of the 399th Infantry.

The CIB is a nice heavy theater made pinback in great condition:

post-60-1166794196.jpg

post-60-1166794237.jpg

Here's an English made (I think) CIB that I bought at a small antique store located in a guys house situated along the Mississipi River in Illinois. It's a nice condition one with perfect enamel work. This one cost $35.

post-60-1166794727.jpg

post-60-1166794769.jpg

craig_pickrall
sgt bilko, I have the mate to your shirt! I picked up a suitcase full of goodies from a 79th division vet, Edward Gerdes, of the 313th Infantry. His CIB is embroidered directly to his shirt as well. The ribbon bar is a seperate embroidered piece sewn to his shirt. Do you know what regiment your guy belonged too?

Interestingly, the pants to his uniform are from a maker in Paris.

Hi Kim, glad to see you here.

I do not know the name of the original owner of my shirt. I have had it for so long that I don't remember where I got it even.

Here's another nice Combat Infantryman Badge I purchased the summer before last at the local antique show. The vendor was from Texas but he had no history of where it came from. I like this one because of the variation. It is a bit larger than the the standard size, has the aqua blue color and the wreath and star are a tinny type material. I suppose this one dates from the 60's and probably Asian in manufacture.

post-60-1166885968.jpg

post-60-1166886017.jpg

Nice CIBs!!

I really like the direct embroidered ones, and will add one to my collection as soon as I can find one - hopefully I can also afford it!

Keep 'em coming!

Steve

Hey Guys,

I've really gotten interested in these badges. I think they are very under appreciated. I have a few that I will post as soon as I get finished with my room. I'm really looking forward to collecting a few cloth examples.

Steve,

I finally got my first mini. It's a pin back and I'm pleased with the detail. Do you have any idea of when these minis started to appear?

Thanks.

post-84-1167610844.jpg

Here is one of my favorite two-war or 2nd Award CIB's. This came complete with the letter from the soldier in Korea. It looks like a nice Korean or Japanese example, but since he wrote the letter from Korea, I'm guessing it's Korean made.

Gary

I don't know if you'll be able to read his scrawl, so I've reprinted the letter:

1st Aug 1951

Co. “F”, 17th RCT

APO-7 c/o P.M.S.F.

Dear Auntie & Uncle,

We move back up front in a day or two - so the next day or two

will be busy ones.

I want to send my two war combat badge home. I’ll send it in

this letter hope it gets there OK.

I was so hoping that these peace conferences would go threw

and I still have hopes.

I’ve got so many little things to look after and I must get busy

and get everything ready.

Will write more next time.

Say a prayer for us

Love Ed

A 2nd Award two-piece (or three-piece if you count the star) CIB made by GEMSCO, NYC. This appears to be a non sterling badge and it is soldered together.

post-84-1167611739.jpg