The Combat Infantryman Badge

Steve B.

That's a good WWII-era CIB, Darrell!

The clutches are more modern, though. You need to try to find a pair of sterling clutches with the smooth face (no bumps like the ones you have) or even brass, but they should be smooth to be WWII. The CIBs were issued with sterling cluthces, but are often found with replacement clutches because the clutch fasteners are easy to lose.

Great addition to any collection!

Steve

The clutches are more modern, though. You need to try to find a pair of sterling clutches with the smooth face (no bumps like the ones you have) or even brass, but they should be smooth to be WWII. The CIBs were issued with sterling cluthces, but are often found with replacement clutches because the clutch fasteners are easy to lose.

Great addition to any collection!

Steve

Thanks guys. Yep, I figured so, it was no surprise. Bought it for the nice patina w00t.gif

Its not made of Sterling Silver but I still like it :rolleyes:

This is the original letter order for the award of the CIB made to PFC Wayne H. Dow who was a POW captured 10/3/44 in France. He served with the 317th Inf, 80th Division.

After the war he applied for a CIB based on his participation in combat from 9/17/44 to 10/3/44.

Kurt

CIB.jpg

An assortment of cloth CIB's!post-405-1171733080.jpg

Mike,

Excellent examples!! thumbsup.gif Could I please see a close up of the middle patch on the right?? The detail appears to be very fine. Thanks.

Could I please see a close up of the middle patch on the right??

That one caught my eye, too. What kind of cloth is it embroidered on?

I like the top left one, too - looks like it might be hand-made. The bttom right looks like it might be a German bevo woven example, am I right?

Nice CIBs!

Steve

I just got back from a gun show and picked up a real nice sterling CIB for 22 dollars. I will post pics in a little bit. What I didnt understand is that there were several people with Vietnam era cloth CIB's for 75 dollars or more. Is that right? hvae I been ripping people off that bad on those Vietnam era cloth CIB's buying them for 20 or so?

Here is my collection that I have so far. The DCU one was found by me in Iraq when we occupied a building as an OP that had obviously been occupied before by US troops. It was laying on the floor covered in dust. I picked it up and kept it in my wallet till I got back home.

post-50776-0-75898300-1399764955.jpg

post-50776-0-93870500-1399764969.jpg