The Combat Infantryman Badge

Steve B.

Great badge, theater made and named to boot!

Thanks for showing it, I would love to have a badge like that in my collection!

Travis

Here's an interesting theater made example. It measures 2 inches across and is marked "Made in Japan N.E. (don't really know what this means) Luzon P.I. Felix R. Ricabo". Any thoughts on why there are 2 locations listed on the back? And is there anyway to find some information on the soldier that this was made for?

• 1 month later...

World War II British made CIB. This "sterling" marked pin-back badge is unique in its' musket and wreath design. A light blue paint is utilized for the musket's background. I do not know the maker of this badge but it is difficult to find.

post-16479-1348342121.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I am looking for a Combat Infantryman Badge and an Expert Infantryman Badge made by the J. Balme Company in Paris. These were made out of sterling silver in the early 90's and have the fancy detailed scroll work on the buttstock of the musket. I bought one of the CIB versions back in the early 90's and sold it to a fellow member a couple years back (I could kick myself for doing that :wacko: ).

CIB.jpg

The reason I want to get an example of each (CIB & EIB) is for my son since he'll be testing for his EIB soon and will likely end up earning his CIB as well, once he's deployed to Afghanistan. He always liked my fancy J. Balme version as a kid and would love to have a fancy one to wear on his uniform as well. The problem is that these things are so rare that I can't find any! The few people that do have one, don't want to part with them. I've seen some handmade knock-offs being sold online but they are really bad quality. If anybody is willing to sell one, or knows of somebody that would, please let me know. Name your price! :excl:

Thanks!

John

• 3 weeks later...
riflegreen297

Here is a Korean era bullion CIB w/ ribbon rack that I picked from a board member. Not perfect, but the price was right and I did not have one of these types. I like it.

post-50776-0-40825300-1399762699.jpg

post-50776-0-66144200-1399762707.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Recently aquired this CIB marked NS Meyer Inc New york, only problem is the entire maker mark is reversed (reads from right to left) The sterling mark and halmarks are normal. Not sure how this could even happen....any ideas on what it does to the value??post-104892-0-80708300-1353530580_thumb.jpg

Very unusual, but I don't think it would have more than curiosity value to a collector. The style of hallmark dates it to the early 60s.

Here are two examples of German made CIBs in my collection. One is hallmarked L. CHR. LAUER Nuremburg. The other is not, but is made in the same way. The one with the hallmark is just slightly thinner than the one without. Both badges came from the same vet, who was a guard at the war trials in Nuremburg with the 16th Reg of the 1st Infantry Division. To my knowledge this is the only marked one known. I paid an arm for one and a leg for the other!

post-104892-0-29963200-1353541341.jpg

post-104892-0-24461000-1353541348.jpg

post-104892-0-59532500-1353541354.jpg

Was this the one that was recently on eBay? I followed it and wasn't too surprised at the final price. It's one beautiful badge. Congrats!

yeah thats the same one, thanks! Even unmarked German--made badges are easliy recognizable by the style of leaves. Very similar to ones on any nazi badge, flat with a raised edge and lots of tiny veins.

post-104892-0-55741000-1353790971.jpg

post-104892-0-46609300-1353791048.jpg

Here are 3 CIB's made by the "Hayward" company and are all marked "STERLING" as well. All have the musket affixed by rivets much like a German Cross award. They are super in detail and all 3 different. The two second awards have two different stars affixed, one small star the same size as are on my "STERLING SB" (Silverman Brothers) CIB's as well as one I have marked "E & H Simon, STERLING G1" and one large star unlike anything else I have. I have a duplicate of the small star Hayward and bot the Simon and Silverman Brothers marked badges. These are for trade only on other CIB's I do not have. I also have duplicate two piece ones, both variations I know of as well as the English badges.

I am a serious collector of CIB's and will buy collections to get ones I do not have. I have over 300 CIB's now, not all different of course but a load of different ones. I am looking for bullion ones with the ribbon bars on the same piece of cloth and bullion ones I do not have.

Larry Pistole

PistolePete

• 4 weeks later...

Here's an interesting theater made example. It measures 2 inches across and is marked "Made in Japan N.E. (don't really know what this means) Luzon P.I. Felix R. Ricabo". Any thoughts on why there are 2 locations listed on the back? And is there anyway to find some information on the soldier that this was made for?

It s Gapan, not Japan. Gapan City is a fourth class city in the province of Nueva Ecija, Philippines (Wikipedia). Felix R. Ricabo was likely either the maker or a Filipino soldier serving with Americans.

It s Gapan, not Japan. Gapan City is a fourth class city in the province of Nueva Ecija, Philippines (Wikipedia). Felix R. Ricabo was likely either the maker or a Filipino soldier serving with Americans.

Thank you sir for the information. You're totally correct, I'm not sure how I missed that.

• 2 months later...

Hello,

here are three "odd" CIBs

The first one is pin back and sterling marked, British Made I think

I don't know about the second... it's a clutch back and also sterling marked. According to the reverse it seems molded and the pins are of the longer type. Also foreign made?

The third is a screw back, stamp from a thin metal sheet. Could it be Italian?

Thanks in advance!

244bqpz.jpg

358xwr5.jpg

f10hvd.jpg

10sarcz.jpg

349bdvn.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Uniforms of the Day

Based on the prices as of late, these under-valued badges are finally being recognized for the wonderful pieces of history they really are. Nice pieces in this thread.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had this for years and just now noticed that the rifle is rather crude and incomplete. No markings. The blue portion has a nick in the glaze.

Is this a "theater-made" badge or junk?

J.R.

post-103720-0-12271100-1364369806.jpg

post-103720-0-85908700-1364369816.jpg

I found this picture of LTC James D. Herndon in the 1968 Command & General Staff College yearbook. He is wearing a CIB with 2 stars. However, his ribbons don't indicate any WWII service and I cannot find him listed on the National Infantry Museum's list of three time recipients. Any thoughts? It's hard to imagine an active duty officer would blatantly wear this if he wasn't entitled since the two stars would probably stick out like a sore thumb. I wonder if the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal was for the Dominican Republic and he mistakenly thought he was entitled to a CIB for Korea, Vietnam and the Dom. Rep.

post-1761-0-72909800-1364414152.jpg

Here is an image of a CIB that I just picked up. It is undoubtedly WWII vintage (based on the circumstances that I received it), but you can see that the color of the enamel is much lighter blue than what is normally encountered.

If you take a good look at the back side of the badge, you will see that it is stamped and that the badge is vaulted for a smoother appearance when it is being worn. The material that it is made of appears to be sterling silver. It is not steel.

Allan

post-151-0-86013900-1364618609.jpg

post-151-0-67118500-1364618624.jpg

I found this picture of LTC James D. Herndon in the 1968 Command & General Staff College yearbook. He is wearing a CIB with 2 stars. However, his ribbons don't indicate any WWII service and I cannot find him listed on the National Infantry Museum's list of three time recipients. Any thoughts? It's hard to imagine an active duty officer would blatantly wear this if he wasn't entitled since the two stars would probably stick out like a sore thumb. I wonder if the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal was for the Dominican Republic and he mistakenly thought he was entitled to a CIB for Korea, Vietnam and the Dom. Rep.

And especially one that's in attendance at this major school, 1968, so it is most odd, was the criterias already in place regarding the multiple awards of the CIB? by 1968 they would have to be right?