The Combat Infantryman Badge

Steve B.

From what I see of the back, I would say yes. But by whom, you would have to get one of the more experienced collectors to look at it.

Stinger Gunner USMC

I'm no expert on theatre made insignia, but what unit was the soldier in? Knowing this could give insight to where the CIB may have been produced.

I'm no expert on theatre made insignia, but what unit was the soldier in? Knowing this could give insight to where the CIB may have been produced.

9th infantry division

dscn0491ab6.jpg

What is the badge made of? In the photos, it doesn't have the look of silver, but almost looks like lead, pewter or something similar.

With the lack of any hallmarks and the relatively unusual placement of the prongs, I would say it could be theater made, but it could also be made by one of the dozens of unauthorized insignia manufacturers here in the states.

IIRC the 9th ID fought in Africa and Europe in WWII, plus the jacket has an Army of Occupation ribbon showing postwar service in Germany, so the CIB could have been made just about anywhere.

This one is a tough call, but I will say it could be theater made, but cannot be certain.

It looks like a very early German rendition. Munich had a maker(I don't recall the name) that used that color(Bavarian Blue...look at their service medals-same color) blue in DUI's. It could be him.

Gary

notinfringed

I have one that I have some questions about. I think it is very modern, but I am not sure. The maker is J Balme of France. I will post pictures tomorrow if I get a chance.

Levi

craig_pickrall
the bottom one might be Asian made. Anyone know for sure?

I was going through an abandoned house, due for demolition, recently and found a CIB, pin back Purple heart ribbon and an Expert Marksman badge. Also in the pile was some paperwork that indicated the original owner and that the 3 items were awarded for Vietnam service. I thought at the time the CIB was cheaply made and probably theater made. I think with your CIB being identical and having that small gap between the wreath and the blue rectangle that it is confirmed.

notinfringed

Here are pictures of the only one I have. I assume it to be modern, but I don't know. The marking on the back says J Balme France. I assume the clutches are replacements. They look like the clutches found on tie tacks. I have some of the same style of clutches on older insignia, but these look very new. Any input would be much appreciated.

post-2011-1208927467.jpg

post-2011-1208927483.jpg

Thanks

Levi

craig_pickrall

That is a beauty. I have never seen one with the engraved rifle like that.

Here are pictures of the only one I have. I assume it to be modern, but I don't know. The marking on the back says J Balme France. I assume the clutches are replacements. They look like the clutches found on tie tacks. I have some of the same style of clutches on older insignia, but these look very new. Any input would be much appreciated.

post-2011-1208927467.jpg

post-2011-1208927483.jpg

Thanks

Levi

That is a beautiful CIB. Anyone have an idea of the date of manufacture?

Hi All,

I thought this might be of some interest to the CIB discussion. This is a Scan of the original front page of the July 4, 1944 edition of the Stars & Stripes. This edition was the first one printed in France since the Invasion. This first "Continental" edition is simply a 2 sided tabloid (11x17 inch) sheet.

Anyway, what pertains to the CIB, is the box "Roosevelt Signs Bill...." This little blurb is talking about a 5 dollar a month pay hike for Expert Infantry men and a 10 dollar a month pay hike for Combat Infantry men. It goes on to say that "those qualified will receive a special medal".

I am assuming that the "special medal" they are referring to is the EIB and CIB.

post-2843-1209394130.jpg

• 2 weeks later...