The Combat Infantryman Badge

Steve B.

• 1 month later...
infant12.jpg

I've posted this picture on Wikipedia as a reference, but it was removed by someone who pretend the 4th Award is not authorized and so I cannot show it on Wikipedia. In fact, the CIB 4th Award is mentionned on the Institute of Heraldry Website, but not in the AR600-8-22.

Here's what we can read in the AR600-8-22 : "Second and third awards of the CIB are indicated by superimposing 1 and 2 stars respectively, centered at the top of the badge between the points of the oak wreath." (see page 99 of the regulation). There's no informations about the 4th Award inside this Army Regulation, but well on the IOH website : http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Uniforme...nfantryman.aspx. Two official sources, but opposed...

So is this insignia authorized or not ?

Thanks for your response,

P-E

I've posted this picture on Wikipedia as a reference, but it was removed by someone who pretend the 4th Award is not authorized and so I cannot show it on Wikipedia. In fact, the CIB 4th Award is mentionned on the Institute of Heraldry Website, but not in the AR600-8-22.

Here's what we can read in the AR600-8-22 : "Second and third awards of the CIB are indicated by superimposing 1 and 2 stars respectively, centered at the top of the badge between the points of the oak wreath." (see page 99 of the regulation). There's no informations about the 4th Award inside this Army Regulation, but well on the IOH website : http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Uniforme...nfantryman.aspx. Two official sources, but opposed...

So is this insignia authorized or not ?

Thanks for your response,

P-E

Check out post #821, the first through eighth award WAS authorized, at least in Ocbober 1964.

Thanks for your response. I know they were authorized up to 8 awards. But time and regulations changes. So what's the situation currently now ? Is that authorized now ? Just imagine a soldier met all the award eligibility requirements (nearly impossible, but this is just to take an example), is he authorized to wear the CIB 4th Award in ACU ?

My photographs of my after-market, US made, CIB for some reason didn't show up in this forum, so I will re-post them now.

I believe the example I have is unique in that it is not the common variety of CIBs we have seen in the past, and even to this date.

I believe my "mystery CIB" which curiously came from a seller in Poland last year is of World War II vintage, but may be post-War, possibly even from the Korean War. The maker's hallmark is not present, and the marking "STERLING" is faintly visible.

What caught my attention almost immediately was the execution of the design, it is a very nice die stamping, very clear, very detailed with a lot of depth, more depth than I have seen with other CIB offerings.

The depth of the engraving die is important to this subject because normally an enamel paint (or epoxy today) is sprayed on the metal and burnished off the highlight (raised portions) of the design. You can easily tell a re-painted piece, and they are common to eBay offerings. The color match is off, and the painted layer has bumps and irregularities, it is mostly obvious to any observer looking for this in an offering.

My old CIB, long gone with my collection was an Acid Test piece, it was oxidized silver color, and yes with time the paint wore off.

I have never seen a true oven baked enamel piece, similar to the DUIs we see, high quality, opaque or transparent. DUIs have a much greater die strike depth to accommodate the powdered flux. I could only believe such a piece would look SUPER! But the regulation CID die strikes would be too shallow to make this feasible. It would have to be retooled with a new die.

I am showing four attachments, the first two were taken with flash indoors under tungsten lighting, the last two I did this morning in the sunlight shade. All are comparable and will show the level of die detailing.

I think this piece is unique because there is no evidence that pins were ever mounted to the back. There are "lands", two areas where these pins would have been soldered on, and no grinding marks or abrasions indicating they were ground off later on.

There are four tiny holes, one in each corner of the rectangular field, I first thought were drilled but inspecting the back I see some flaring indicating that they were perhaps "punched" with a die into the metal surface from the front side.

My assumption is that these are the holes used to sew the CIB to the uniform fabric permanently.

If my assumption is correct, I believe this makes my piece somewhat unusual because sewing CIBs on uniform is not that common of a practice since most either have a P&SC (as WW2 pieces have) or the more common CBs with patented Ballou style clutches.

Attachment 1 - flash, obverse

$$$

post-9136-1329158862.jpg

Attachment 2 - flash, reverse

$$$

post-9136-1329158929.jpg

continued next post/tmh

continued next post

I also have a WW2 era modified CIB where the paint and rear fixing were removed so it could be chromed. This came with a chromed WW2 era US paratroopr wing made in Australia. I was told that these were worn by a trooper who was part of an Honor Guard.

post-1389-1339692364.jpg

post-1389-1339692379.jpg

Sweet looking custom CIB/ribbon bar set. Both appear to have been removed from a brown colored jacket and resewn to the green cloth it is currently on. Perhaps it was done for use on the new green dress jacket?

I like how the top stich on the rifle continues around to form the trigger guard.

Grabbed this on the sales forum, just shows how much good stuff is offered for sale/trade on this forum.

post-2876-1339777423.jpg

Bullion EIB, I think it was made in Japan

Ohhhhhhhhh.............. I REALLY like this one Travis. Very nice. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Theater Made, unknown country. I have been looking for one of these for some time now, I was surprised at how tall the catch sits off the badge. Even though it is missing all the blue paint, I am happy with it. This variation has a distinct 'double' vein pattern on the wreath, almost all the veins are paired.

Travis

post-2876-1340474868.jpg

post-2876-1340474874.jpg

post-2876-1340474902.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Lastly are a couple of repros. I knew they were not original when I bought them, but they are pretty well made. The color CIB/Wing combo glow very brightly under UV. Also, the CIB itself is undersized. The entire patch mesures about 3 inches across.

post-2876-1342290568.jpg

More variations

Military Post Suppliers and an unknown maker Sterling badge

I seeing M23 correct ?, if so than M23 will for McCabe Brothers, New York City, NY

• 3 weeks later...
CHASEUSA11B

Here's an interesting one I just picked up. It looks like a two piece variation however when the clutches are removed it is all one piecepost-6201-1343939494.jpg.

Here's an interesting theater made example. It measures 2 inches across and is marked "Made in Japan N.E. (don't really know what this means) Luzon P.I. Felix R. Ricabo". Any thoughts on why there are 2 locations listed on the back? And is there anyway to find some information on the soldier that this was made for?

post-50776-0-57799500-1399762026.png

post-50776-0-52933500-1399762034.png

post-50776-0-54197500-1399762043.png

Some CIBs on jackets I have.

Notice the black disc-like attachments.
On a 10th Armored Division Ike Jacket.

Sewn on.
On a 11th Armored Division Ike Jacket (identified to an Armored Infantryman).

Erwin

post-50776-0-38930300-1399762506.jpg

post-50776-0-06604800-1399762515.jpg

post-50776-0-16823500-1399762523.jpg

post-50776-0-76674300-1399762533.jpg

post-6201-1343939834.jpg post-6201-1343939827.jpg

Although you can't separate the wreath from the badge, I have always considered these to be what is called a "two piece". The wreath is actually a separate piece soldered to the badge.

Nice badge too!! :thumbsup:

Here's an interesting theater made example. It measures 2 inches across and is marked "Made in Japan N.E. (don't really know what this means) Luzon P.I. Felix R. Ricabo". Any thoughts on why there are 2 locations listed on the back? And is there anyway to find some information on the soldier that this was made for?

DSC07511.jpgDSC07514.jpgDSC07512.jpg

This is really a cool badge. Perhaps made in Japan and earned in the P.I.? Since it is hand engraved, that would be my guess and I would venture that Felix is the recipient.

Again, very nice badge! :thumbsup: