The Combat Infantryman Badge

Steve B.

Nice CIB, John! It's a good WWII version, and looks to be in pretty good shape. The sterling clutches are often missing or replaced, so it's a nice bonus to have them.

Steve

I found this little gem at the antique show in Vancouver, Washington today. It is a 2-inch, pinback, N.S. Meyer 2nd Award CIB. The best part was the price - $5.00!!

The photos are a little deceptive - it is highly polished, not dull silver as it appears in the pics. Based on the hallmark & pinback I'm guessing it is from the 1950s, maybe 1960s.

Every now and then it pays to get out of bed!

post-9-1168742854.jpg

post-9-1168742868.jpg

Here are mine, the top one came right off of a PH winners Ike jacket, the 2 bullion ones were my Uncles. I just threw in the IB because they are all displayed together.

post-50776-0-72011200-1399757549.jpg

...the 2 bullion ones were my Uncles.

CIB.jpg

Robert,

I have an identical bullion as your uncles. Any idea as to where he acquired his? Are they German Occupation?

Thanks,

Gary

Robert,

I have an identical bullion as your uncles. Any idea as to where he acquired his? Are they German Occupation?

Thanks,

Gary

I don't know where he got his, but I do know that he was part of the Occupation.

Hey Guys,

Some great CIB's here. I love these embroidered pieces. Maybe I can snag one soon.

This one came in today and I wanted to show off the wreath. It's got really nice detail.

post-78-1168750817.jpg

post-78-1168750835.jpg

I now nothing about these apart from the 2 larger ones both have the same makers mark M & B B'HAM and are also marked STERLING SILVER

The smaller of the 3 is only marked STERLING with no makers mark

Any help with dating them would be great and is M & B B'HAM a US or UK company

Many thanks

post-50776-0-28165500-1399751080.png

post-50776-0-91820600-1399751089.png

gallantryinaction

GICOP,

Great pieces! M&B is one of the scarcer British manufacturers of US insignia, located in Birmingham, England ("B'HAM"). You can also tell they are UK made insignia by their distinctive triangular shaped pins at the barrel hinge, which act as a spring, and the open hook pin catches. Your smaller CIB looks like a US made example, probably 1950's or earlier, since there's no Institute of Heraldry hallmark on the back (9M, 22M, I-B, etc.). I hope this helps!

Here's a very scarce early issue WWII CIB; with Long Pin Back, & marked "Sterling"; along with the Vet's jump wing. I'll be placing this CIB in the For Sale section.

post-283-1169029480.jpg

post-283-1169029633.jpg

It's funny how these things seem to multipy once you get one :lol:

I wanted to share my latest ebay pick-up with you. A nice sterling-marked WWII CIB with amazing detail on the leaves and rifle. I love the darkening on the back!

I don't think I did too bad for $12 shipped to my door! It was missing one sterling clutch-back, but what self-respecting US collector doesn't have a spare or two in the parts box?

John

post-262-1169350363.jpg

post-262-1169350383.jpg

Thanks Jim!

I've been looking for one with nice leaf detail ever since I saw the one that you posted earlier- I fell in love with it :love:

John

John,

THAT is a pretty badge. I think you did really well for $12. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

John,

These CIB's are bad for people. :unsure:

I think I got my first one a few months ago, and I now have 6. I've got another mini on the way and finally picked up a nice cloth patch.

I think I may be addicted. pinch.gif

I'll do an update when everything arrives.

My Father was a Sgt in Co E, 259th Inf, 65th Div during WW2. He saw some action and has some great stories. I once asked him about how they earned medals. He told me he and a number of the men he served with could have earned bronze stars and silver stars during the fighting, but they didn't care about putting people in for medals when they were trying to survive in combat. He said they didn't care who had the most medals. He told me the Combat Infantry Badge was the only award they wanted. If you didn't have the CIB, you were nobody, and all the combat vets looked down on anyone who didn't have one. He said the CIB was the most important thing on the uniform.

I thought all you CIB collectors would like to hear what a true combat vet thought was the most important award.

Hi guys,

I recently added this patch to my cloth CIB collection but have no real idea what period it is. Buyer says WWII, but I'm skeptical. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Ken

post-79-1169690226.jpg

Ken-

It's really hard to date cloth CIBs since so many were made around the world.

Yours looks to be on khaki twill cloth, and while it definitely could be WWII, it could also be from the 1950s.

I realize this is kind of a non-answer, and I apologize for that. I just don't feel comfortable saying it is definitely WWII.

Steve

My Father was a Sgt in Co E, 259th Inf, 65th Div during WW2. He saw some action and has some great stories. I once asked him about how they earned medals. He told me he and a number of the men he served with could have earned bronze stars and silver stars during the fighting, but they didn't care about putting people in for medals when they were trying to survive in combat. He said they didn't care who had the most medals. He told me the Combat Infantry Badge was the only award they wanted. If you didn't have the CIB, you were nobody, and all the combat vets looked down on anyone who didn't have one. He said the CIB was the most important thing on the uniform.

I thought all you CIB collectors would like to hear what a true combat vet thought was the most important award.

Hi,

I've also heard this, and my brother earned a CIB in VN. That is just another thing that attracted me to them. I also like the way they look. An attractive badge with a simple design. thumbsup.gif