US M1 FB Attributed to A Vet from the 10th Armored

billmunny

Hello friends!

Here's a FB M1 out of Nebraska I have attributed to a vet Martin Siebrass who served with the 10th Armored.  

The OD#3 webbing chinstrap with blackened brass buckle, J-hook and end-keeper. The cast buckle is the raised bar type, and the chin strap has a bar tacked brass J-hook as well as a blackened steel T1 release.

I believe the helmet was manufactured by McCord, and the liner is a Seaman Paper Company. The liner is marked "S-1" and the heat stamp appears to be "186A."

The paint was obviously touched up at some point, primarily around the rim.  I am not sure if the touch up is war period or after--any thoughts?

Both the helmet and the liner have a return address label inside identifying the original owner as Martin J. Siebrass (1926-2019).

The following two entries by Martin J. Siebrass on 10tharmored.com:

March 6, 2008

Martin Siebrass – B-CO 3rd Tank

Enclosed is a check for my dues and my son, Scott. 2007 has not been a good year for me. In June I discovered I had colon cancer. It was found early. Took radiation and chemo the last half June and July. Tumor was removed Aug 30. Went on insurance chemo Oct 3 and it ruined my blood and was in isolation for 9 days. It could take up to a year or more to get back to normal. It was handled by our first class VA hospital in Omaha NE. Don't think I will be able to make the reunion.

I was in the infantry first along the northern French border. I joined the 10th Armored at Toul by Nancy, France. A little west of there another GI and myself walked up from behind and captured a 2-star General, his SS driver and a German command car. Talked to Gen. Patch in Oberammergau, Germany in May 1945. Gen. Patch said he had gotten a German command car near the same place in France and was touring with it. Gen. Patch said it was probably the same one and he thanked me kindly for it. His first words were, "Son, how old are you? I have a grandson that is a sophomore in H.S. and looks older than you do." We talked for 15 minutes.

-Martin Siebrass

----------------------------------

Jan 3, 2009

Martin J. Siebrass – B-Co 3rd Tank

I thought 2007 was as bad as it could get. Had chemo and radiation in June and July. Had 22 inches of colon removed Aug 30 and more chemo in Oct and Nov. No cancer has been found since. On Aug 26, 2008 I had 2 by-passes and a heart valve installed. Have had no stamina since, but seem to be slowly improving lately. I had signed up for an honor flight to Washington DC on Oct 22, 2008, but my Doctors said “no”.

The Doctors okayed me Nov 25. We had a nice supper and program the day before. A band played Glen Miller songs. Then we were up at 3:00 am for breakfast. We went through security in the Hotel and loaded from the buses on the tarmac right into the plane. At Dulles in Washington DC had security on the tarmac and went right into the plane.

We saw the World War II monument. It is big and impressive. Saw the Korean and Iwo Jima monuments and changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. We got back to the Hotel at midnight.

The V.A. told me I could get more compensation if I had a buddy statement. I and another tanker had been in the muzzle blast of a gun discharged by accident. Last year I discovered it was Joe Birkbeck of Langhorne PA. We both had hearing damage. I am now documented, but the V.A. said I do not get any more money. Joe Birkbeck is now documented, but he gave up on the V.A. What were the odds of finding him?

Enclosed is a check for my dues and my son Scott.

– Martin J. Siebrass

----------------------------------

Obituary:

Martin J. Siebrass was born February 24, 1926, in Blue Hill, Nebraska, to Martin and Elsa (Petri) Siebrass. He went to be with the Lord on February 18, 2019 at the Good Samaritan Society, Millard, Nebraska at the age of 92 years, 11 months, and 25 days.

He proudly served his country, being inducted into the Army on September 26, 1944. In 2005, Martin was interviewed for an in-depth report of his, at-times harrowing, Army career in the Blue Hill Webster County Newspaper.  

Martin married Marilynn Mowinkle on October 7, 1950, in Millard, Nebraska and to this union they raised two children Kristine and Scott. He farmed, worked for the Nebraska Department of Roads, Rock Island Railroad as Telegraph and Railroad Agent for 19 years, then at Nashua Corporation in Omaha, Nebraska and retired in February of 1991. He loved his Nebraska Husker Football and spent many Saturdays in Lincoln cheering them on through 28 years of ups and downs. Martin was active in the American Legion, was a Board member of the Cornhusker Country Music Show in Louisville, member of Immanuel Lutheran Church, - serving as Sunday School Superintendent and Board Member.  Faith, Family and his Country were so important to Martin.

Martin is survived by son Scott and Sheri Siebrass of Springfield, Grandchildren – Vanessa, Tabitha, Shannon (Allen), Staci (Brandon); Great-grandchildren Austin, Daniel, Jessica, Lauren, Camden, and Carter, sister Norma Osterbuhr, Niece – Jan (Bob), Sue (Ken), Jan (Greg) and their children and many friends. 

Martin is preceded in Death by his parents Martin and Elsa Siebrass, wife Marilynn, daughter Kristine, brother Hershel, brother-in-law LeRoy Osterbuhr, and father-in-law and mother-in-law Francis and Elmer Mowinkle .

Funeral services will be Friday, February 22, 2019 at 11:00 A.M. at Immanuel Lutheran Church 36712 Church Road, Louisville, Nebraska, with lunch to follow the service, and then burial at the Omaha National Cemetery at 2:00 P.M.

Visitation will be Thursday, February 21, from 1:00 P.M. till 9:00 P.M. with the family greeting friends from 5:00 P.M. until 8:00 P.M. all at the funeral home.

Memorials to the family for later designation.

Condolences may be sent to fusselmanallenharvey.com

Welcome any thoughts and opinions!

m1.jpg

m1A.jpg

m1B.jpg

M1C.jpg

M1D.jpg

Welcome any thoughts on this rig; especially on the paint was obviously touched up at some point around the rim. I am not sure if the touch up is war period or after--but would welcome any thoughts!

I remember seeing this one when it came up for sale, I'm not really sure what to think about it. The return labels inside the helmet/liner are odd to me. They're obviously not period, and I'm not sure why a vet would add those to his helmet years after the fact. There's a few possibilities in my mind:

This is his helmet and he touched it up/put the return address labels on (maybe he wore it for some event with the American Legion?)

This is his helmet and someone else put the return address labels on (to remember who it belonged to? maybe estate sale purchase?)

This is not his helmet but he used/labeled it after his service (again, maybe something with the American Legion?)

This is not his helmet and someone who happened to obtained/applied some of his return address labels (maybe an estate sale?)

I'm kinda leaning towards the 3rd scenario. The helmet seems to be in overall good condition, given he was in France/Germany during the war I would have expected more wear. Without more it's impossible to say for certain though.

Thanks for the thoughts...and I agree, the address labels are kinda odd, and the helmet is in super nice condition for one that survived serious wear. 

The pot and liner appear to have been together for a long time..

I bought it to get the shell for another liner I have but now don't want to split it up from the liner if indeed they've always been together so will let it go in a trade or sale/keep the lid on the shelf as it is..

It's more that the return address label appears to have been applied some years post WWII. His enlistment info lists his residence in Millard and his obituary states he was married  there in 1950. I haven't done any serious research so I don't know when he moved. Seems odd to go back years after the fact to label them but I don't think it's out of the question if say he used it for something with the American Legion. 

Some people put their name on everything they own. 

Some engrave, some use those plastic label strips, some people write and others use return labels.

Was in the estate liquidation business for 20 plus years and was amazed at what people do.