Need some help with date/period for USMC helmet cover

CW4AFB

A question on this helmet, liner and cover--the cover was/is so dirty and worn that I thought it was the brown side out---until I took it apart and found the brown side inside with a nice clean ega--I hadn't even noticed the ega on the outside there was so much dirt and dust ...the helmet itself looks to be a rear seam, swivel bail...and that's the extent of my helmet knowledge---any idea's on the period?

100_3509.JPG

100_3508.JPG

100_3510.JPG

100_3511.JPG

100_3690.JPG

100_3691.JPG

FT.Monmouth1943

It’s a pretty hot debate on when the no slit covers were made. Some people say these are WWII covers that had the EGA applied later, but I don’t think I’ve seen any photos of them used in WWII or Korea, and given there’s an EGA on it, I would say the cover is early to mid 50s, and the helmet as a whole looks like a nice Vietnam era setup. Just a note for the future, please don’t take the cover off of untouched lids. They often don’t look the same once they’ve been removed after they’ve molded to the shell over the years, which could make a legitimate piece look put together.

5 hours ago, ArchangelDM said:

late WW2 era cover with the EGA applied after the Korean War, possibly used In Vietnam early on 

nice piece

I agree that this was probably used in Vietnam.

My reason is that the chinstrap clips are black which dates it to Vietnam.

Most of what I know comes from information I’ve found from some of the most generous people on this forum.

A day does not go by that I don’t find at least one new thing about something I or someone else has posted.

On 11/28/2022 at 2:21 PM, FT.Monmouth1943 said:

It’s a pretty hot debate on when the no slit covers were made. Some people say these are WWII covers that had the EGA applied later, but I don’t think I’ve seen any photos of them used in WWII or Korea, and given there’s an EGA on it, I would say the cover is early to mid 50s, and the helmet as a whole looks like a nice Vietnam era setup. Just a note for the future, please don’t take the cover off of untouched lids. They often don’t look the same once they’ve been removed after they’ve molded to the shell over the years, which could make a legitimate piece look put together.

I thought no slit covers without EGA were definitely used in Korea 

On 12/3/2022 at 11:01 PM, 326thAEB said:

I thought no slit covers without EGA were definitely used in Korea 

Without EGA correct, but also a mix of WW2 surplus covers with slits etc. 

you see the covers with the EGA mostly being worn in Vietnam early on