Dating national guard jacket

Altomarevintage

Researching the unit (using both online and books) to find photos/descriptions and then looking at the details of the jacket. Are the seams and button holes machine sewn or hand sewn? Check the manufacturer of the buttons to help narrow down the date.  Post details and ask questions here.  Good luck!

Can you take a clear photo of the buttons front?

The back should have a maker like Beast mentioned. Might narrow down the State.

The one looks like an eagle ????

and the other look.like a monogram.  Maybe it looks like letters?? Possible clue.

Cool looking jacket!

Semper Fi 

Phil

I meant Date not State. On my phone!!!

So no maker on the back of buttons?

You can look up button makers business and get a possible date from when they existed?

Just a thought.

Semper Fi 

Phil 

• 7 months later...

Looks like 7th Regiment, N.Y.N.G,  national guard regiments did not usually wear U.S. Army regulation uniforms until the early 1900's and even then, some NY regiments, like the 7th NY wore these type tail coats up until WW2. the coats were handed down and some very old by then.

In the late 1960s - early 1970s, a lot of stuff in N.Y. Armories was simply dumped and I have heard tales of guys taking things from the trash. A lot of 1880s NYNG stuff showed up at gun shows for about a decade.

Just google "Seventh Regiment New York National Guard coat" and see plenty of pictures.