What is this holster? Is it even GI?

robinb

Charlie Flick

I don't recognize it and frankly don't pay much attention to 21st Century holsters.  You might try to see if a Beretta M9 or a SIG M11 fits into it.  Is it completely unmarked?

Charlie

It does look like an airsoft copy of a Blackhawk holster.

I noticed a lot of airsoft holsters have stripes in the straps where most military holsters do not.

I dunno… I wouldn’t be too quick to throw it in the airsoft pile. It could well be a military USED holster but not a military ISSUED holster. There is a lot of one of and oddball stuff out there which people bought and used, and some units bought. It looks like one of the sort of universal holsters? Made to fit multiple models.

My guess would be if it fits anything it would be an M9.

it somewhat resembles a Safariland made thigh rig, but missing the curved plastic piece behind the holster. And if memory serves me right, some of the Safariland holsters also have lower straps which have two different tones to the color of the weave. 

Not saying it isn’t a knockoff of a Safariland, just saying it could be legit too. 

I’m gonna throw in vote for the M9 holster. I zoomed in on this photo from 2007, these holsters were everywhere and we were only issued the M9. 

5C0DE164-FD2A-4530-AC48-A25EB0CC3FF3.png.9f868dc8f70289797fae71564aecdce4.png

In 2002 the US Army started the Rapid Fielding Initiative.  This gave units the ability to outfit their soldiers with the equipment they needed to go to combat in Afghanistan & Iraq.  Before RFI, the Army spent around $3000 per soldier to equip for combat.  It bumped up to $10000 per soldier with RFI.  These numbers are not the same for Special Ops budgets.  Units could purchase all kinds of tactical gear off the shelf watches, knives, handheld GPS, sunglasses...  I saw countless different holsters for M9 pistols on my deployments, so the term Government Issue changed with RFI.  

What opseccc said. I was in Hqs USCENTCOM and most of the officers used this type of holster because it worked well for desk jockeys.  They were much more comfortable than a traditional holster, I gave mine away, but I do recall it was sand color. 2002-2005.