Bull Run to Bennett Place: Loyal Legion Badge of Lt. Lionel Desmon Phillips, 1st Massachusetts, 61st Massachusetts, 6th USCT - WIA/POW at Gettysburg

cylekostello

Pictured is my newest MOLLUS and arguably my favorite. The badge pictured belonged to Lt. Lionel Desmon Phillips. Whose service covered three regiments and nearly every major battle of the eastern theater.

This badge came to me courtesy of another collector and checks darn near all of my boxes. The 1 Mass. is my favorite regiment of the war and I've been on the hunt for some USCT items.

1st Massachusetts Service
Prewar Phillips lived in Chelsea, MA working as a clerk. But at the age of 22 Phillips enlisted as a corporal in the 1st Massachusetts Infantry. The Bay State's first three year regiment. Corporal Phillips would receive his baptism of fire at Blackburn's Ford in July of 1861. Days later the 1st would be under fire again at Bull Run, where they shared in the bitter defeat.

In the army wide reorganization that followed Bull Run. Phillips outfit would be attached to the soon to be famous Third Corps. Under this new command the 1st would see sharp fighting on the Virginia Peninsula. Before being pulled off the line to rest and recover during Lee's Maryland Campaign. Returning to the AotP Phillips would see hard fighting at Chancellorsville. But Phillips greatest test would occur at a small crossroads town in Pennsylvania. Taking part in Sickles' infamous maneuver the 1st would be attacked on all sides. Eventually being forced to give ground after losing dozens killed wounded or captured. One such casualty was Corporal Phillips. Who was captured and wounded in the retreat from Sickles salient.

After a brief stint in rebel captivity Phillips returned to the 1st. The now greatly diminished outfit served honorably through the winter campaigns of 1863. And followed Grant's bloody roads south in 1864. Mustering out before Petersburg after 4 years of active service.

61st Mass. Service

But Corp. Phillips was not content to sit out the remainder of the war. Re-enlisting in a brand new outfit, the 61st Massachusetts Infantry. The 61st's service would be combined to the trenches of Petersburg. But Phillips time with the 61st was rather brief.

6th USCT Service

As in January of 1865 he mustered out to accept commission as a 2nd LT. in the 6th US Colored Troops. This storied regiment had seen hard fighting during the Richmond Petersburg Campaign. Phillips would lead the brave men of this regiment in their final engagements of the war. In North Carolina before Fort Fisher and Sugar Loaf Hill. With the 6th Lt. Phillips would witness the surrender of Johnson's army at Bennett Place. Capping off 4 years of faithful service to his country.

Postwar
Postwar Lionel Phillips moved a fair bit. Eventually settling in Los Angeles, where he would raise his two children. Active in the mine industry. Phillips was also a member of the Loyal Legion and the seller was kind enough to included scans of his MOLLUS application documents. Of note the history of service section where Phillips lists the battles he took part in. A staggering 23 engagements. The Lt. would pass away in 1908 and be buried in Los Angeles.

At any rate. The 1st Massachusetts connection + the USCT connection make this my favorite MOLLUS and I hope y'all enjoy it as much as I do! Beyond grateful that the original collector passed this one along to me

9539A892-30F6-4A14-863C-AE8CB0587291.jpeg

9872569E-689F-4F59-8AB9-66A017DBE789.jpeg

8A0C03B2-4796-4953-8A08-D47792A599F5.jpeg

19C5013D-0CF7-49A1-9195-5D7121935106.gif