RL-35-A Signal Corps wire cart

robinb

Thank you, Johan!

If I ever found a GC-15 crank, you'll be the first I'd contact, of course..

Nice reels, I have only some post-war something, will send you a photo..

• 1 month later...
Johan Willaert

Today the mailman delivered last week's Ebay find: a US made RL-27-D with a matching crank GC-15 which was the last thing I missed to complete the cart...

The RL-27-D differs from other/earlier models in the side spring loaded locking ring which is on the inside on the first RL-27 I got....

Both the RL-27-D and the accompanying GC-15 crank were made by F&H Mfg Corp and marked accordingly...

post-92-1293632195.jpg

post-92-1293632201.jpg

Johan Willaert

So I now have everything that goes on the reelcart which will be restored next spring....

Here it is fitted with three DR-4 (2 in original paint), two GC-15 and the RL-27-D....

post-92-1293632339.jpg

post-92-1293632348.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Oh.. I wouldn't like to pay the shipping from the US... Your cart is really nice complete, I have only this big reel, don't you know the type? It is post-war, isn't it?

(I can'T find better photo now, do not look at those 2 guys :) )

Frankie

post-9248-1294677109.jpg

Johan Willaert
I have only this big reel, don't you know the type? It is post-war, isn't it?

Hi Frankie,

I believe your reel is the DR-15 which I believe to be post WW2 as to date I haven't found any mention of it in a WW2 publication or picture...

This model is shown in the GI Collector's Guide, but that is not a WW2 publication...

If it is WW2, I would like to see a picture to correct me...

Ideally the RL-35 was equipped with three DR-4s as in my photograph above...

The DR-5 which is one large drum as wide as three DR-4s is sometimes fitted, see picture below

BROReelCartSide.jpg

Johan Willaert
The DR-15 is listed and pictured in TM 11-487 Electrical Communication Systems Equipment dated 2 Oct 1944.

Thanks Robin, I stand corrected...

• 1 month later...
Johan Willaert
I restored one of the DR-4's, but everything else is as found; original paint.

Robin (and others with original finish Reelcarts...)

Could you check the finish on the original hardware (nuts and bolts) keeping it all together...

Are they painted OD? Parkerised???

How about the little screws holding the hubcaps???

Thanks

craig johnson

Johan

All the bolts on mine are unpainted. Looks like they put it together and painted over them. Should get more opinions of course. Most of them are button head slotted bolts.

Johan Willaert
All the bolts on mine are unpainted. Looks like they put it together and painted over them.

Thanks Craig,

But are they painted or not? Or do you mean the entire cart was pained after assembly and thus the bolts and nuts were covered with paint?

craig johnson

My Carts were in pretty bad shape and have been painted several times. I took a look at the body and where the axle was mounted there is semi gloss or satin black primer or paint. So it looks like at least with the body and axle they were painted as one unit. None of the bolts appear to have any finish on them. Looks like the Carts were primered and painted as a unit.

Would be nice to get a second opinion because I sandblasted most of the brackets and have forgotten if they were painted underneath.

So to make sure I answered your question the bolts are not painted on the shaft and threads. My Cart is not original enough to say for sure if the green paint on them was applied during production or after the war.

OK, I get it now! Thanks

Johan,

are you beginning the renovation now? I have passed my last winter exam yesterday, so I am starting continuation of the renovation now :)

I am sure, that there was no OD paint under 2 "things" used to interlasce the rope to the brake.. and under 2 RL-27 holders... so they haad to be put on the body befora painting..as you can see on the photo.. but think I will paint it separately... what about you?

Frankie

post-9248-1300311159.jpg

Johan Willaert

Thanks Frankie...

Haven't started yet, but might do so in the coming weeks...

So it seems that indeed the carts were painted after assembly...

So it seems that indeed the carts were painted after assembly...

Yes, it really looks so... and with no undercoat.. is it possible?

• 2 weeks later...
Johan Willaert

Another rare picture of a Reelcart in use in WW2....

Still from US Army Signal Corps footage shot in Cherbourg, France late June 1944....

post-92-1301429979.jpg

Camp_Kearny

I would recommend that anyone who is restoring a reel cart and DR-4 or DR-5 reels use different shades of paint when painting the reels. The reels and the cart would not have been painted at the same time or at the same factory. I think a difference in shade looks more authentic. I would say the same thing about jeeps and jerry cans. So far the carts in this thread have looked very good. I hope to have my RL-16 finished by the end of this year. Perhaps I can display it next year at Tower Park.

Ian

• 3 weeks later...

Hello!

everything is painted, now I go to put it all together... I just don't know, how to fix the tow bar holder - on Robins cart it is fixed from the underside, on my and Johan's cart (both ex-swiss) is it fixed from the upper side... I think I will do it "Robin's way" ;o)

Will send some photos later, i really like it :o)

Frankie

I believe the upperside is correct and similar to the Utility Carts....

Correct me if I'm wrong...

Oh I've read your post too late.. I made it as seen on the robin's cart... but it takes just 4 screws to turn it around so maybe I turn it... the thruth is that now the tow bar is lying on the thinner "cover" and not on the hard body (when fixed by the axle).. and if you put the pole up, the front frame (where the E.C. screws are) works as a lever so the back side of the pole where it is attached to the axle goes down and is held just with 2 screws instead of the big cast on the rear end of the pole.... So I think you are right, Johan..

Please, could anyone measure how wide the orange or yellow stripe on the reel is?

Thank you for all your help!

Frankie

• 4 weeks later...
Johan Willaert

Nice Frankie...

I have now taken mine apart completely and stripped most of the Swiss paint.

Seems indeed that not much primer was used on these carts. I did find a lot of original flat OD though....

I knew that contrary to utility carts, the wheels of a reelcart were fitted on roller bearings, but I also noticed that the axle brackets on which the spindles go seem to be cast iron rather than the aluminum ones on utility carts.

The brackets on utility carts also have letter and number codes (e.g. M9) stamped into them which I didn't find on the reelcart parts.

Will post some pictures of my work later on...