RL-35-A Signal Corps wire cart

robinb

Here's my 1944 Signal Corps Reel Cart RL-35-A. Complete with all accessories. Four DR-4 reels, two GC-15 cranks, one GC-10-A brake, and the RL-27-A axle.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

Camp_Kearny

Very nice, I always like seeing other reel carts. It looks a little wider than the RL-16. I don't think I could fit three DR-4s on the axle. Have you restored this cart or was it in this condition when you acquired it?

Ian

Camp_Kearny

That is in great condition. I wish my RL-16 looked as good as yours. Was the RL-27-A original to the piece? I have been looking for one of those for a while as most of the accounts of laying wire by hand mention the RL-27-A and a DR-4 instead of the smaller DR-8s.

When I got the cart, it was just a plain cart with no accessories. Each piece was found one at a time over a couple years.

• 8 months later...
Johan Willaert

What is the actual difference between the RL35 and RL35A version.

I see that some had the A added to the dataplate... so what makes it an A???

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
Johan Willaert

What is the actual difference between the RL35 and RL35A version.

I see that some had the A added to the dataplate... so what makes it an A???

Here's an example of such plate..... Any ideas??? Thanks

post-92-0-88324800-1404138193.jpg

• 5 months later...

Hello, I have seen only a few RL-35 carts, but all had a "A" on the data plate..

Also does mine, 1944 one (ex Swiss, too), number 1339... :w00t:

If any body knew where could I buy a RL-27-A axle?

Frank Broccoli Nachlinger

• 2 weeks later...
SSG Signal Corps (GE)

Hi,

this is a copy from FM 24-20 Field Wire Systems 4. Oct 1944

Reel Cart RL-35 (fig. 53). Reel Cart RL-35 is a two-wheel cart with pneumatic tires, which may be

pulled by hand or towed behin4 a vehicle. Each reel cart carries three Reels DR-4 or one Reel DR-5, which

are removable. The axle is equipped with a detachable hand crank for use when recovering wire on the reels.

Reel Cart RL-35 is particularly suitable for laying wire over terrain that is impassable to motor vehicles, such

as very soft ground or heavily wooded areas. Prior to being towed behind a vehicle, the handle (draw bar) is unfastened

from the lunette on the tongue and placed in a bracket at the rear of the cart. The lunette fits the

pintles on certain small vehicles only.

I've one from Switzerland. Brackes, axle and other parts come with the hand cart. I miss also the axle 27-B.

I get one by Ebay from a French guy and an other one last time on Ciney for 25.- €. I think it is a hard part to find.

But I remember an other axle at Ciney with a reel attached on it. Maybe you can get on there.

I've attached one picture with my hand cart towed by my jeep at Corsica at the 65th celebration 2008.

post-10909-1275402564.jpg

• 3 months later...
Johan Willaert

I just bought this RL35-A Ex Swiss Army Reelcart from a fellow board member....

As most of them, missing one GC-15 and the RL27 axle, otherwise very nice... Should be an easy restoration...

BTW could the difference between the RL35 and RL35A model be rim difference (aluminum vs steel) ????

post-92-0-18557200-1404138278.jpg

post-92-0-13140200-1404138283.jpg

post-92-0-34343300-1404138287.jpg

post-92-0-78929400-1404138291.jpg

post-92-0-13399100-1404138297.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Johan Willaert

As most of them, missing one GC-15 and the RL27 axle, otherwise very nice...

Aaahh, it's wonderful to have colleagues in the Signal Corps.... Someone just gave me an RL27, so that's off the list....

Axle is marked RL 27 ST.... Don't know what it stands for but it fits.....

post-92-0-51025800-1404138377.jpg

post-92-0-36560400-1404138382.jpg

post-92-0-96754100-1404138385.jpg

Johan Willaert

In comparing the RL-27 on my cart with the one mounted on Robin's cart shown at the top of this page, I've just noticed that there's a difference...

On one side, mine has a square extension which allows both GC-15 or GC-4 Cranks to be attached to fascilitate rewinding of the reels...

Is this the difference that is specified with the suffix A, B, C, or D after the RL-27 nomenclature???

Any ideas??

Johan

My RL-27-A does not have the square end for attaching the GC-15 crank, but the RL-27-B does. I have no idea what the "ST" part of your nomenclature stands for. If the number ended with "GY", that stands for Germany, and "FR" for France. Both GY and FR and post-WW2 designations meaning that they parts were made in those countries.

27_1.JPG

27_2.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Today i started to clean my ex-Swiss RL-35, under the brush-painted Swiss grey is original OD.. I do not think it would look OK in the original OD tish some (all) smaller parts newly painted... in the corners would the greay colour rest.. what do you think? Have you allready begun with restoration, Johan?

Johan Willaert
Today i started to clean my ex-Swiss RL-35, under the brush-painted Swiss grey is original OD.. I do not think it would look OK in the original OD tish some (all) smaller parts newly painted... in the corners would the greay colour rest.. what do you think? Have you allready begun with restoration, Johan?

No, I haven't begun work on the cart yet... Probably in a couple of months...

But I have noticed too that the Swiss paint will be rather difficult to remove while keeping the original OD intact...

I will try and if it doesn't work out will respray everything with correct OD...

JOhan

Johan Willaert

Great work...

Are the bolts holding the axle clamp and the front U-bracket also marked EC???

They are on mine, and EC also supplied a lot of bolts for the Willys MB Jeep...

• 3 weeks later...

HO HO HO!!!

:w00t:

Bought this RL-27-D on Ciney Expo :lol:

so no more missing parts in my RL-35! It's worth for 18 Euros :w00t:

just the GC-15 crank is marked with sth.like A.3+ ...? I do not know if it is WWII Product, but is nice :))

post-9248-1288639086.jpg

post-9248-1288639104.jpg

Johan Willaert

Here are a couple of DR-4 Wire Reels which will go on the Reel Cart...

Both have original finish, markings and a bit of original wire and a third DR-4 is awaiting paint to complete the set....

post-92-0-37205100-1404138476.jpg

post-92-0-98833300-1404138479.jpg