New upcoming book on Vietnam bring back weapons!

WWIIBuff1945

Hello everyone,

I would like to announce my upcoming book on Vietnam bring back weapons. I’ve noticed over the past few years, a growing interest in bring back weapons so I decided to publish a book on the subject. I’m trying to judge interest in such a book and figure out how many copies to get printed.

This book is non-profit and all proceeds after printing costs will be donated to the Honor Flight South Florida Organization. To those not familiar with the Honor Flight Organization, they take veterans from WWII, Korea and Vietnam on an all-expense paid one day trip to DC to visit the War Memorials.

The book showcases 39 veterans. Each veteran’s story is broken into three sections: The first highlights the vets service history in detail if known. The second gives a brief history of the Division/Unit he served in and lastly, a short history of the weapon and when possible, the story of its acquisition.

The last section of the book includes 10 pages of VC made bring backs not tied to specific veterans plus VC grenades and even a Chinese RPG Rocket Launcher! There also is a six page section of period photos showing soldiers and dignitaries holding captured enemy weapons.

The book will be hard cover, approximately 270 pages of premium paper with full color. From my calculations, the books printing cost will be around $35 a copy and adding an additional $5 for donation to Honor Flights bring the total to $40 plus shipping. USPS Media mail will be the preferred shipping costing around an additional $5. I am not asking for any money up front. When I have the books in hand, I will notify those interested via this thread or by PM. I am projecting a Mid-January completion date.

I am posting one vet’s section which was an Airborne Advisor who brought home a WWII era Luger that he himself captured. I have blocked out the serial number on the gun and paperwork but the full information will be shown in the book.

I would like to thank everyone for their interest in my book.

Thanks Keith

VN BC Edited.png

465254542_ADV-Luger.pdf

USCapturephotos

I for one am very excited for this. I know I have at least 5 or 6 collector friends who I am sure would also want to pick up copies as well.

Can't wait.

Paul

Thanks again for the interest everyone! After posting in a few forums, I'm up to 60 copies so far. My friend has a Facebook group on bring backs and made a post there so I'm sure there will be plenty more.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,
I have an update on the book. I had planned on getting it to the printer by mid-month but a last minute submission will delay it by a week or so. I have an opportunity to add a full automatic weapon to the book. Its a French MAT 49 that was brought back and amnesty registered in 1968. The man who brought in back retired as a two star general! The same vet also has two firearm patents from 1969 &1970.

Special Operations Weapon
Issued January 1, 1970United StatesForgotten
select fire (semi or full auto) 12 ga combat shotgun, box fed, 10-20 rounds, gas operated, break open for insertion of extra long members of a family of ammunition for multitude of functions. Patent issued to me while a employee of US Navy

50 round magazine for M-16 rifle
Issued January 1, 1969United StatesForgotten
large capacity magazine to feed ammunition flawlessly to the M-16 rifle reciprocating bolt via a dual constant force spring system. Patent issued while an employee of US Navy

The MAT 49 was featured on Youtube a few years comparing it to the S&W M76. Here is the video and the history of the gun is at the 10 minute mark.

• 1 month later...

Book is done I'm currently getting some quotes from book printing companies. It showcases 48 veterans and other weapons brought home from unnamed veterans. Its 320 pages now!

I'm trying to decide how many copies to get printed. The more you get printed the cheaper they are.

I have around 150-200 pre-orders right now and I was going to do 250 initially but now thinking 500-1K. Honestly, I've showed the book to a few people and they love it so I think it will take off.

Its not cheap to get a book printed. I'm looking at around 10K for 250 (42 a copy includes shipping/taxes) or 17K for 500 (34 a copy sh/taxes)). If I have 1K printed overseas it probably will be 20K plus (around 22 a copy). I have to also buy shipping boxes on top of all this. Either way a nice sum of money to come up with! I really don't want to collect any money in advance in case any issues arise but I might have to. I would prefer to have a US company do the job but its much cheaper overseas.

• 2 months later...
WWIIBuff1945

Hello everyone!
I thought I would post an update on the book. It has been finally completed for over 2 weeks now. (I added additional stories including full-auto bring backs). I found a company to do the printing but I'm having issues trying to upload my files. Unfortunately, the companies customer service stinks and it usually takes close to a week to get an email back from them. I would really like to go with another company because of these minor issues but their price and quality make the wait worth it. Book printing is expensive so I trying to make the book reasonably priced for everyone. While I'm waiting for the company to respond, its possible to add some last minute submissions to the book. So this is last call for additional submissions! I am looking for something unusual as I already have plenty of SKS's, Tokarev's, K98's and Type 53 Carbines. Presentation plaqued rifles would be easy to add to the book. I will need high definition photos of the weapons and papers. Also, a well-known and highly-respected member of the forum has received a PDF of the book for review and he will be posting it when he completes his evaluation. So far he has told me I've done a wonderful job! Please send a PM if you have a last minute submission. I want to thank everyone for their patience! Keith

• 2 weeks later...

If you can put me down - whilst i'm currently in australia I have a US address in MA 01002 - over the years I have had quite a bit of vet bringback - but from aussie vets!

russ

WWIIBuff1945

Gentlemen,
The files are being submitted to the book company tomorrow. Once its set up for printing they tell me 10 days until the books will be shipped. Once the books ship I'll start collecting the money. I won't have the book price unit they give me the total including shipping. Thanks again for everyone's patience. It should only be a few weeks more! Keith

BookCoverBlocked.png.1f0417b6d0a2798ed10c705aca34b05c.png

• 2 weeks later...
WWIIBuff1945

Hi everyone

I finally found a good printing company and after a few weeks of issues with my files they tell me the proof copy will be printed tomorrow. It may be in the mail tomorrow if not Monday then. Once I approve of it then it will be 10 days until the books are shipped. Once the books ship, I'll start collecting the payment. The price will be $49.95 plus $5 shipping (US lower 48). I can combine shipping for multiple books. The book is hardcover, nearly 370 pages printed on premium paper (coated 100#) and best of all printed in the USA! Compared to other similar books I think the price is a bargain. I recently purchased George Layman’s excellent book, “Communist Bloc Handguns” from Amazon and it cost $40 for a soft-cover with 157 pages. It also was printed in China.

Please email me at [email protected] with your contact information and how many books you wish to purchase. I prefer Zelle for payment as it’s the easiest and no fees are involved. USPS money order or bank cashier’s check would be secondary means of payment.

Sorry but at this time no ebook is planned. I know some have inquired about it. It may happen at a later time.

Thanks again for everyone patience and support!

Keith

WWIIBuff1945

Hello all,

I received the proof copy and I'm blown away with the quality. I had never used this company before and went by a recommendation. I just can't believe its finally here! Two years of work I can now hold in my hands. Its such an amazing feeling. I'm calling the company first thing tomorrow morning to approve it. They had told me it will be 10 days for completion. I'll keep everyone informed and will contact for payment once the books ship. Thanks again everyone!

IMG_2721.jpg.898a6e833bbeebdc106238e7b354f1ac.jpgIMG_2722.jpg.74b11ab07bd8d08180d37e826026c508.jpgIMG_2723.jpg.4db66a29227621adc53b2b09a5635cc9.jpgIMG_2724.jpg.d887f961730f4bbe0ab7b826bc21a626.jpg

WWIIBuff1945

Update: The book is now paid for. They tell me 10-12 business days for production then shipping from NY to Florida via FedEx freight so probably another 5-7 days. I was hoping for sooner. I sent the proof copy to Legacy for a review and checked the shipping costs. I was off by $1.45 so I'm sorry but I'm  going to have to make the shipping now $6 instead of $5 and I'll pay the 45 cents.  I've had a number of people want to purchase multiple books so while I was at the PO they gave me the prices :

1 book $6.45

2 books $9.95

3 books $13.45

4 books $16.95

5 books $20.45

I still don't want to collect funds until the printing is finished. So I will be sure to let everybody know when that happens.  Thanks again for everyone's patience. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now! The wait is definitely worth it!

Steve Brannan

I am really looking forward to seeing this book. I have a vested interest because it pictures a VC homemade pistol I brought back in 1970. 

• 3 weeks later...
WWIIBuff1945

Books being shipped this afternoon and will be here next Friday! I have a tracking number. If they arrive in the morning then those who already paid will have their orders go out in the afternoon. Getting real close everyone thanks!

WWIIBuff1945

Sorry I forgot to give the payment info:

1 book is $56 shipped

2 books - $110

3 books - $163

4 books - $216

5 books - $270

Those who wanted to pay with a USPS MO here is my address:
Keith Seafield
3850 S. University Dr #293083
Davie, FL 33329

Those paying with Zelle can send the payments to my email address: [email protected]

Sorry no Paypal.
Thanks everyone!