does anyone know this PARKA WW2 KOREA D-2 ? thanks

oddmod

I picked this up recently, and can't quite get a grip on what it is, or when it was used.

2 piece construction, shell body and snap in/out alpaca type full one piece hooded liner

KWIK zipper.

No tag.

Wool or cotton flannel pocket linings.

Parka body material is similar to the M-41 jacket.

Runs to mind I had one once that had a black tag at the neck, and it was designated as a D-2, but some recent references indicate the D-2 had a removable hood.

Grateful for any help (checked the parka reference section in this forum, no dice, but awesome Mountain Parka pics).

JC

post-5673-1236141314.jpg

I picked this up recently, and can't quite get a grip on what it is, or when it was used.

2 piece construction, snap in/out alpaca type full hooded with liner.

KWIK zipper.

No tag.

Wool or cotton flannel pocket linings.

Parka body material is similar to the M-41 jacket.

Runs to mind I had one once that had a black tag at the neck, and it was designated as a D-2, but some recent references indicate the D-2 had a removable hood.

Grateful for any help (checked the parka reference section in this forum, no dice, but awesome Mountain Parka pics).

And a detail shot....

JC

post-5673-1236141373.jpg

General Apathy

Hi JC, if I remember correctly D-2 during WWII was the designation for a mechanics sheepskin jacket, which differed to actual sheepskin flying jackets labelled in the ' B-3, B-6' range. As all sheepskin was being deleted from clothing stocks at the end of WWII and moving over to material jackets and trousers, so it could be that the mechanics jackets were also redesigned.

You mention that you possibly had one before with a black label in, black labels with silver or gold writing is very indicative of air-force clothing around WWII and Korea periods.

Hope someone else can help you with a more positive i.d. on the jacket, which is a good looking example you have there.

Cheers ( Lewis )

Hi JC,

What you have here is the D-2 parka for the USAAF mechanics.

It was introduced in late 1943 to replace the shearling made D-1.

The hood isn't removable.

It goes with the B-2 pants in the same material.

Here is a pic of the original label from the one I have :

3327436497_dfac5d8995.jpg

here are the B-2 pants :

3328270386_93efb72138.jpg

These parkas are quite hard to find now, and I'm still looking for a wartime picture showing this set worn !

All the best,

Tim.

Hi JC, if I remember correctly D-2 during WWII was the designation for a mechanics sheepskin jacket, which differed to actual sheepskin flying jackets labelled in the ' B-3, B-6' range. As all sheepskin was being deleted from clothing stocks at the end of WWII and moving over to material jackets and trousers, so it could be that the mechanics jackets were also redesigned.

You mention that you possibly had one before with a black label in, black labels with silver or gold writing is very indicative of air-force clothing around WWII and Korea periods.

Hope someone else can help you with a more positive i.d. on the jacket, which is a good looking example you have there.

Cheers ( Lewis )

Lewis,

I think we have a positive ID on this parka now.

Thanks,

JC

Hi JC,

What you have here is the D-2 parka for the USAAF mechanics.

It was introduced in late 1943 to replace the shearling made D-1.

The hood isn't removable.

It goes with the B-2 pants in the same material.

Here is a pic of the original label from the one I have :

3327436497_dfac5d8995.jpg

here are the B-2 pants :

3328270386_93efb72138.jpg

These parkas are quite hard to find now, and I'm still looking for a wartime picture showing this set worn !

All the best,

Tim.

Tim,

Thanks.

I was going through my photo archive and came across this old picture: it looks we have conclusively ID's this parka type.

JC

post-5673-1236182455.jpg