M1C on eBay

billmunny

Made during WW2. Westinghouse Liner with cast buckles and blackened A washers late 1944. McCord M1 shell with 1126C I would guess late 44 early 45 based on examples in my collection. Nice example with retro-fitted leather chin cup. Please move sweatband off neckband to its correct position, otherwise neckband will get strained/ripped.

1 hour ago, billmunny said:

Interesting.. so honest helmet? I may try and bid..

What’s the ballpark on these? 

It seems to be a legit WWII produced M1C used post war by the 11th AB, so I'm expecting to go north of 1200. 

I've seen regular unmarked M1Cs go for that much recently. 

One other question: the WWII-made Westy AB liner was believed to be issued/used wartime but with a FB shell right (and these Westy AB liners mated with AB M1C shells without D bales were only used post-war)?

8 hours ago, billmunny said:

One other question: the WWII-made Westy AB liner was believed to be issued/used wartime but with a FB shell right (and these Westy AB liners mated with AB M1C shells without D bales were only used post-war)?

The Westinghouse paratrooper liners were definitely used during WWII. There is evidence that the very first Westinghouse liners were used as early as D-Day. Thye certainly were used during Market-Garden and in Varsity. 

Factory-made M1C helmets were exclusively swivel bales, produced at the end of 1944 and the beginning of 1945. The early versions had front seams and OD3 paratrooper chinstraps. These are the rarity. The vast majority are rear seam and with OD7 paratrooper chinstraps (such as the example in this thread). 

Standard fix bales were used by the airborne during WWII because of a shortage of M2 helmets. As for fixed bales used post-WWII? I assume it's a possibility. If you look at the pictures of the 187th ARCT's jumps in Korea, there are plenty of troopers who are using what appear to be handkerchiefs or cravats to keep their helmets in place due to a lack of purpose-built M1C paratrooper helmets. Whether those helmets with the cravats are FB or SB is anyone's guess. 

Finally, there is no evidence to support the assertion that factory produced M1C helmets were utilized in WWII prior to the end of hostilities. There are pictures of them being used several months after the war in Europe with occupation forces. 

I'm actually surprised it went for as low as it did. Low end on these for sure in a bid setting. I was a watcher but not a bidder. Only interested in early rare examples in an attempt to focus the collection but figured I would see what it closed at. Very clean example and that seller has some consistently nice items. 

There'll be other chances for sure.