Identification needed.

77th Inf. Div.

77th Inf. Div.

Hello, I have this pair of stripes and cannot confirm if they are CCC or something like Army Color Corporal for Artillery?  Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_4871.JPG

IMG_4872.JPG

IMG_4873.JPG

Based on William Emerson's book "Chevrons" Illustrated History and Catalog of US Army Insignia", on page 168 this particular design is identified as a Color Sergeant 1902-1920. catalog number 309. There is no information about the Chevrons being made for the Rank of Corporal, but I would suspect that they were made for that rank. 

Based on the information in the book:  ".... only Cavalry and Infantry units had these men until the 1907 artillery reorganization."

I only have Emerson's older CHEVRON book at the moment in the office. I can reconfirm later this evening with his updated Chevron book, that I have at home.

This is a very nice set of Chevrons. 

Leigh 

77th Inf. Div.

Hello Leigh, thank you for the information.  I did find information on Color Sgt, but could find no Corporal version, so had my doubts and decided to ask for help from more informed collectors of Army Chevrons.

There was no US Army rank of color corporal, but it's always possible that these stripes were for some position in a state guard or militia unit.