Secondhandcollectables ebay frauds?

Has anyone been following the seller on ebay under the name Secondhandcollectables? It seems they have a huge description that's copy amd paste on every item. There's a new rare kepi every single week. I don't know but I feel that this seller might be the easygreen of CW cloth? Any thoughts

Screenshot_20221113-115826_eBay.jpg

There was an atrocious kepi "out of the woodwork" I will post below. Stitching on the leather looks just like a modern repro campaigner hat. Also the wear looks manufactured as well. All are going for some pretty good prices. They are making money hand over fist it seems. 

Screenshot_20221113-163335_Google.jpg

• 1 year later...
4th Miss Cav

The buckles are not even good fakes.  You can see on one where it looks like something has been painted on to age it.  You can see brush marks.  Who lists their items as Rebel warrior or Yankee warrior.  Checked his item description and he says they are original and authentic.   Just outright fraud.  Sorry for the rant, this just bothers me bad.  

Yes I have seen many of his items on ebay he seems to have an endless supply of CSA hats which he claims are real but he is a major rip off artist, many later dated or repo items with fake aging  to them.

iron bender

I wonder if the bidder who pays 6k+ for a fake rebel hat doesn't care about money. It seems that a true collector would know that some of these lids would fetch 3x plus that amount if legit. I have held to the 'that's the wrong price' idea for the last 20 years. This happens with painted up German and GI helmets regularly

grahamaham

On 1/21/2024 at 9:06 PM, iron bender said:

Hmmmm???

https://www.ebay.com/itm/375175995979

Saved this as I have big doubts

I agree, I saw this as well and looked on it. The cloth looks like modern fabric. Correct, but modern. Here's what I think is happening. I honestly believe this guy is buying these cheap IW/GAR/SAW kepis you can find all day for like 350 on any site. Then boom, you have an aged bill, possibly even a chinstrap, and maybe even a leather sweat band. Put on an "aged" cover and botta bing, people fall for the bill. A collector, even though they know it's off as a whole, will say, "Yeah but the leather is amazing, you can't fake that, it's got to be real." Yeah, it's a post war put together. Then you buy a 1902 jacket, or IW jacket for a few hundred bucks, you cut it up, it'll probably even be better with some moth holes which are sure to be there. That cloth will give him at least 6 kepis. A simple 200-dollar investment coupled with a deteriorating post war hat destroyed that no one wants going for 150 gives him the components to sell a union kepi for thousands. It's a great scam. I wouldn't be surprised if he buys post war gray militia jackets and has enough grey fabric for 6 confederate kepis....Sinister......Thoughts?

iron bender

I don't see why not. Seems as plausible as any other explanation. It's like the JKash 20 M2 painted up para helmets on his website at any given time. Please. Fraudsters using old and new to make a super-rare original. 

grahamaham

Agreed. It's scary. Now that I've started to transition from WW2 Airborne and now full time CW/IW I've taken the advice from here and other forums, spend the money from a reputable dealer and you can't go wrong. Sometimes it hurst but man there was a point last year where I was about to drop 1800 for a fake union kepi that turned out to have an IW brim and an aged 1980s campaigner cloth body with original buttons and hardware. Now I sleep well at nights knowing I've spent more than finding a great eBay deal but their real. 

Has anyone looked up Warhats.com ?

some very convincing reproduction kepis.

made to order.      
very frustrating for the civil war collector…….  

69BF57C2-E4F9-44A6-9F17-8A3C3D57223B.png

grahamaham

Yes, their very dangerous, especially in the future. Also, another one of secondhand collectables confederate McDowell style hat just needed over 6500 I believe!!!! One of the best he's made recently but an obvious fake. Poor buyer, thought they were getting steal. If I spent that much, I'd spend the rest of my life convincing myself it was real also. 

• 1 month later...

Again on eBay . Same dealer. Fake kepi and the others items

s-l1200.jpg

grahamaham

Has anyone else seen how mani items this guy sold? It's in the 100s of thousands. Like who's buying this garbage or is it his shell accounts? I mean if that's the case we've added thousands of CW collectors to the ranks and they have money to burn. I doubt it but who knows. I'm sure he just buys his own stuff and it's a circle IDK

iron bender

Graham I hope you're correct, and he's bidding up his own junk. Decided to start watching the rebel haversack and kepi. 5 hours to go sitting above 1K. What the he//?? Who's bidding on this stuff seriously?

Woodymyster

if you go into the bids of his closed auction and investigate the bidders, you can see several of them are bidding on many of his auctions at the same time.  I would agree with the shill bidder theory.

grahamaham

mdk0911 that's funny. I was so fed up once I personally messaged the seller saying I was looking for Robert E. Lee's jockstrap and was sent his way as he could get his hands on anything and had all the rare items. Sadly, he never responded and quickly blocked me as a buyer. 😅

mdk0911

I wish i had 50 ebay buyer id's so i can bid, win and never pay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  have fun blocking 50 SCUMBAG.