thoughts on this WW2 CBI lambskin 468th Bomb Group patch the general billy mitchell group

ocsfollowme

Thanks in advance. Came out of a scrap book at one point. On typical supple lamb skin. Painted on as you can see pencil marks below the green edges. 

Here are Rick's

img20221113_04111367.jpg

img20221113_04051631.jpg

• 1 month later...

I do understand on this forum that silence can mean bad news. I also understand silence on a patch that is rare is a normal thing on this forum. My feelings will not be hurt.

I tend to think the patch is not genuine WWII vintage. Of those I have seen none have been on a near-white or beige leather. In fact very few jacket patches of WWII vintage are substantially white, probably because they would soil easily on a jacket. The back doesn't appear it is 80 years old. I would expect to see some aging.

I agree there seems something off on the lettering. Not so much it's blurry, but appears imperfect and hand-lettered somewhat amateurishly after the main design was painted. Perspective is imprecise, Imagine drawing a perfect arc along the top edge of the lettering from 10 o'clock to 3. Some of the letters are too high, some too low and some crooked. RAL of GENERAL is higher, Transition from Y of BILLY to M of MITCHELL uneven. E of MITCHELL . Compare these to the one in my post.

Also consider how the patch presents and feels. Does it seem 80 years old? Looks too fresh to me.

468bg20aaf-2.jpg.add6ecbf803e91e0f8e32deae37fe880.jpg

468bg-query.jpg.dab3e57dda684fae4f4a1f8329662665.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Castle_Keep

I actually love it.  There’s always room for one-of-a-kind exceptions when in comes to the CBI Theatre.  So glad to have it.  

IMG_7890.jpeg